No announcement yet.

Pencilled in for surgery on 26th July!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pencilled in for surgery on 26th July!

So after a weekend of research and being glued to the phone I managed to speak to the person responsible for referring patients to different hospitals or getting them surgery urgently if the hospital has breached its constitution.

I was told on 19th June that he would make enquiries immediately and come back to me in a few days, referral in Oct 2010 and now a possible surgery date not until March 2013 is not acceptable.

I received a call on 25th June saying that they had pencilled me in for surgery on 26th July. I know there is always the chance it gets cancelled and he did say he has to confirm with a few other people before coming back to me on 2nd July but I want to be excited and get prepared for surgery.

I've been waiting so long and now it might finally be happening!
    27 yr old Female.
    Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
    Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
    Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Wow Jenna, this is a turn for the better! Will it be Mr. Dunsmuir who does your surgery, or another surgeon? Hoping there are no changes to this date and it all goes smoothly from here on in!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Jen

Yes it will be with him. They said they want me to have the continuity of care I need and deserve and it makes sense to keep me near home and under a surgeon that I've had contact with for years as well as being concerned about my progression.

Shame then didn't realise this 12 mths ago but if me stamping my feet gets my surgery on 26th July I'll be happy. I've got everything crossed but feel like my emotions are all over the place. I'm excited and nervous but scared then trying to calm myself and not think about it, then I feel like crying :-)

Think I need to keep busy and keep everything crossed!! Our holiday to portugal on 6th July for a week should help too

Jenna x
      27 yr old Female.
      Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.

Comment

Glad to hear you have a date!

My surgery will be July 23 in St. Louis with Dr. Lenke. Our time is drawing near quickly! I will pray for a smooth recovery for you. You have waited a long time for this.
        Jane

Comment

Jenna,
          I'm also tentatively excited! I just don't want to see you get your hopes up high and then be disappointed again. I really hope this is it for you!
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Glad to hear that you have a date finally.
            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Jenna--
              Wow, that would be a change from your old date. I'll keep my fingers crossed and pray for the best for you for a July surgery. Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Just an added thought. It's the squeaking wheel that gets oiled. You've squeaked, but don't stop squeaking until you get that date set! It's nice to finally have some hope for relief. You deserve it! I just can't imagine what you are going through having to be put off with a curve that large. Besides, how do they know that you aren't still progressing? When was your last radiograph? Keep up the good work, don't let them rest and be well so you can get on with the rest of your life! ((((HUGS))))
                Be happy!
                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenna.KB View Post
                  Hi Jen

Yes it will be with him. They said they want me to have the continuity of care I need and deserve and it makes sense to keep me near home and under a surgeon that I've had contact with for years as well as being concerned about my progression.

Shame then didn't realise this 12 mths ago but if me stamping my feet gets my surgery on 26th July I'll be happy. I've got everything crossed but feel like my emotions are all over the place. I'm excited and nervous but scared then trying to calm myself and not think about it, then I feel like crying :-)

Think I need to keep busy and keep everything crossed!! Our holiday to portugal on 6th July for a week should help too

Jenna x
                  I agree, the holiday will help. We went away for the last fortnight before surgery. The time flew and my mind was taken off it as we drove, walked, kayaked and caught up with family during that time. A bit of sunshine will be nice too!
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your messages.

Jane, I noted our surgeries should be really close together and fused nearly the same so it would be nice to stay in touch.

Jen, yes I'm hoping the holiday takes my mind off things. I'm a bit of a sun goddess and due to pain I'm sure we'll just laze around all week so I'm looking forward to it.

Rohrer, I'm keeping everything crossed and I'm ready to get on that phone monday if I haven't had a further update :-)

I haven't had an x-ray since January but due to the pains I've been getting and shifting of my chest and rib cage I'm sure i've had more progression, my GP agrees and my physiotherapist said this morning that I look more shifted to the right when I stand. I guess I won't know until I have further pre op tests.

I'm going to stay positive and keep everything crossed but I'm grateful for your prayers.

Thanks
                    27 yr old Female.

Comment

Jenna,
                      Glad to hear the good news! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Best,
                      Evelyn
                      age 48
                      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
                      X