No announcement yet.

Looking for people who have returned to athletic activities post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KathK - Look at that straight back & form! Thanks for sharing your gorgeous photos! Jasper has always been on our bucket list. Sometime. So great that you did so well with the rough trail hiking - the poles help tremendously. We were out hiking Rocky Mtn Natl Pk last month w Jacob, who was right at 6 mos post-op. Did great with all the hiking, scree fields, boulders & all.
    Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
    Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
    Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
    Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
    photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Originally posted by KathK View Post
      Hi All,

Doreen, congrats on your 5K! That’s fantastic and a great pace! FYI..the largest “walking only” race in the country is in Ohio! The walk offers a 10K and a half marathon course. We should get a group together and walk in it next fall!

www.newalbanywalkingclassic.com

I have never considered myself to be "athletic", but I have always enjoyed walking, hiking, and biking. My husband and I just returned from a trip to Banff, Jasper and Yoho National Parks in Canada. I was thrilled that I was able to handle our “Rocky Mountain” hikes! We took several hikes that had very steep sections and/or scree fields. See my signature for a link to a few hiking picture. My back was tired at the end of these hiking days, but so was the rest of my body. I did find trekking pole to be very helpful when descending. The Canadian Rockies are amazing!

Also, this trip was my 12th flight since my surgery 2 years ago and my longest flight to date. One leg of the flight was 3.5 hours. I had no problems!
      Count me in for the 10k in 2013!!! Have you walked the Walking Classic before? The Canadian Rocky pix are breathtaking! What month did you visit there?

Warmly,
      Doreen
      44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
      Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
      2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by walkingmom View Post
        Hi Janet,
        I am the tennis player who has returned to playing now that I am beyond one-yr post op. I am fused to L3, not the sacrum, so that may be a factor with my ability to move as well as I do. I am still waiting for that time to make a video of me playing tennis. However, with this heat wave, I may have to wait a bit longer.
        Donna
        LOVE, LOVE the video, Donna!

Warmly,
        Doreen
        44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
        Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
        2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

LSKOCH- Sounds like Jacob did great at Rocky Mtn National Park! If I can hike at 2 years post-op close to what he can hike at 6 months post-op, I'll take it! (smiles)

Doreen, Yes, I did the 10K walk in 2009 in preparation for my 2010 surgery. I used to be a fast walker, but have not yet regained my pre-surgery walking pace. Pre-surgery, I would routinely walk 4 miles per hour. Now, I'm usually between 3.2 and 3.5 miles per hour (after 2 years). It sounds like your pace is excellent for only being 9 months post-op. The club that you joined, Archilles International, sounds really great. Wonderful to have support in your training. I will be cheering for you in your upcoming walks! Look forward to seeing your posts!

Kathy
          Kathy
          46 yrs at surgery, now 50
          71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
          8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
          http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Ladies' Club Champion after Surgery

After not playing golf for 15 months, I am happy to tell my scoli friends that I won the 36 hole Ladies' Club Championship this past weekend at the Waterloo Country Club. I have won it 24 times previously, but this win was by far the best since I really didn't think it would be possible after being fused from T4 to the sacrum and adjusting to a different swing. Please know that the purpose of this post is not to boast but to give hope to others that they can return to many athletic activities after surgery.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

What a sweet victory!

Karen,
              Congratulations on your victory! I am thrilled for you that you have returned to your sport with such success. I am currently awaiting word on my own medical appeal that I submitted to the USTA in hopes that they will lower my player rating so that I can play at a level that matches up with my flexibility, or lack thereof. My appeal was fairly straightforward .... I explained my surgery and then said "See attached X-ray.". I think that picture speaks volumes for any of us who have had the surgery.

Thanks for sharing your victory news! It really is inspiring for all of us.

Donna
              Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
              Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
              Fused T3-L3
              60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
              Tennis player & returning to the courts!
              http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

congratulations, Karen...
                quite an accomplishment...
                would not have occurred to me that it would
                be possible to have a good golf swing after being
                fused to sacrum!
                i know you said your post isn't to brag, and it is to
                encourage others to know returning to athletics
                is do-able...but i think some bragging is in order!!

just wondering how much adjusting of your swing
                was required, and how much practicing was needed...
                did you need to change to different length clubs, or change
                your putter....???

again, congratulations....

jess...& Sparky

Comment

Jess,
                  Prior to playing this spring, I really could not imagine that it would even be possible to make a good pivot and follow through. It has been so much better than I expected, even though I've lost a little distance with my clubs. The hardest change was being forced to turn more in one piece instead of twisting. I had to really work hard on the timing in order to hit the ball solidly and straight. I have a video of one of my first swings in a round of golf in Florida in my signature, but feel like I'm hitting it much better than that now after playing all summer. I hope to keep improving next year.
                  Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Congratulations Karen. It's a testament to your surgeon's amazing skills that, with a mass of hardware in your back, you are able to return to golf - and win!
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

thanks, Karen...
                      great video...
                      amazing...that you could swing like that early on....
                      congratulations for getting back in the game....

jess...& Sparky

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                        After not playing golf for 15 months, I am happy to tell my scoli friends that I won the 36 hole Ladies' Club Championship this past weekend at the Waterloo Country Club. I have won it 24 times previously, but this win was by far the best since I really didn't think it would be possible after being fused from T4 to the sacrum and adjusting to a different swing. Please know that the purpose of this post is not to boast but to give hope to others that they can return to many athletic activities after surgery.
                        Congratulations, Karen! That is phenomenal. Thank God for this wonderful surgery & continued healing which has allowed you & so many to get back to their lives. So very happy for you!
                        Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
                        Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
                        Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
                        Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
                        photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Amazing!

Karen,

Congratulations! You must be an incredible golfer! You have won this championship 24 times previously?!?! And, then you came back 1 year after a huge fusion surgery to win again! I can't get over it! I just keep smiling thinking about it! My hat is off to you!

Kathy
                          Kathy
                          46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                          71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                          8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                          http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

That's fantastic, Karen!!!! Love to hear scoli success stories!!! You need to hook up with that young pro golfer who is fused.

Best,
                            Evelyn
                            age 48
                            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Her name is Stacy Lewis. I followed her when she played in a tournament in Springfield, IL last year and always check her scores for every tournament. She won two tournaments this year and will most likely be the "player of the year" & has made over 1/2 million this year. She has a short fusion and has a lot of flexibility, which allows her to hit a long ball. As a child, she had to wear a brace 24 hours a day for 7 years and only took it off to play golf before she had surgery. She is the celebrity spokesperson for SRS.
                              Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                              Now 66
                              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Karen

I knew you wanted some pics of my trip hiking in Utah, so here are some of them. I’m posting from Bryce Canyon NP, they have internet here! Ive been using a motorcycle to get around, I hang it on the back of the RV. I also met with Nan in Park City, it was a great visit!

They have great bird watching out here! lol

More to come, I'm not done and the best is yet to come.

Ed
                                Attached Files
                                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                                X