No announcement yet.

Looking for people who have returned to athletic activities post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes i do, but life goes on. I miss my skating friends as much as I miss the skating.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Wow Donna, you look like a natural in that video. Well done, at just over 1 year post op!

Sorry to hear you're unable to skate at your new home Sally, but you certainly sound like an active lady.

I went back to kayaking at about 7 months. Initially only for an hour at a time. I was surprised that shoulder and arm-strength wise, it hadn't changed much, but the tailbone gave me a bit of trouble that first time. I then used both a cushion and a seat-back and we can now travel for hours up and down our rivers and reservoirs. Heaven!

Kayaking was the one thing I was hoping I could continue because it's incredibly relaxing.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
        Wow Donna, you look like a natural in that video. Well done, at just over 1 year post op!

Sorry to hear you're unable to skate at your new home Sally, but you certainly sound like an active lady.

I went back to kayaking at about 7 months. Initially only for an hour at a time. I was surprised that shoulder and arm-strength wise, it hadn't changed much, but the tailbone gave me a bit of trouble that first time. I then used both a cushion and a seat-back and we can now travel for hours up and down our rivers and reservoirs. Heaven!

Kayaking was the one thing I was hoping I could continue because it's incredibly relaxing.
        Jennifer,

I'm so impressed that kayaking is possible with a fusion to pelvis. I thought that sitting on the floor (or very low) would be impossible. Btw, I took your advice about exercising to heart. We have a gym at work and I go there almost every day for 40-50 min either at lunch time or after work.
        I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
        45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
        A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
          Since we have moved to N. Carolina, there is no skating for adults
          Adults can skate at locations in Raleigh. Here is one I have been to and I admit it seems geared towards kids...

http://www.skatejellybeans.com/jbHome.asp

This being south of the Mason-Dixon, they have Christian Music night once a month. They also offer Zumba out of the facility.

There is another one in Cary.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
            Jennifer,

I'm so impressed that kayaking is possible with a fusion to pelvis. I thought that sitting on the floor (or very low) would be impossible. Btw, I took your advice about exercising to heart. We have a gym at work and I go there almost every day for 40-50 min either at lunch time or after work.
            Hi Irina,

That's great news. I bet it's not long before you start to feel the benefits.

If I was to sit on the floor with my legs straight out in front of me, without support, I would find it difficult. I'd probably topple sideways. But having the seat back, which is just a bit of canvas strapped into position, makes all the difference.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

showing in conformation

I am ten months post surgery and did take my youngest dog, Augie, to a fun match two weeks ago. At first I just walked around with him but towards the end did a few trotting steps. It was a bit jarring, but I decided I could do the short trotting sprints with a dog if I had REALLY good, shock obsorbing shoes. Did some research and it appears some running shoes are built specifically for obsorbing shock. So I bought a pair.

Why?

Because once I showed up at the fun match my Belgian friends eyes gleamed in the hopes of building majors at the shows this weekend. Yep, I am entered. Husband is going along just in case I need a stand (trot?) in.

I have decided I would not show, at least for the foreseable future, to show at an outdoor show because the grounds are always a bit lumpy.

I guess we'll see how this goes! Hopefully Augie will behave and not trip me! He is a handful.[/QUOTE]
              Congratulations on getting back into the ring! I'm sure your Belgian friends will be happy to see you as majors can be difficult to find. I hope your weekend of shows is successful! And thanks for posting--your comments are encouraging.

Comment

Good luck. Let us know how Auggie and you do.
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

stacking a medium-sized dog

I used to show Pharaoh Hounds, and the comments about showing got me thinking...how would you manage stacking your dog? Would you have to kneel? It seems like for me anyway, bending over the height of a medium-sized dog for baiting and stacking would be difficult.

As far as Karen's original question, I was an active lap swimmer prior to surgery, and I have returned to it after both surgeries. I lost my flip turns due to inability to bend enough to comfortably flip, and I can no longer do dolphin kick, but I am fine with freestyle, backstroke and breaststroke. It always feels great to be in the water. I swim laps for 30-60 minutes about 4-5 days per week. I am now 5 months post-op major anterior/posterior revision for broken rods (which included an osteotomy), and I am still gaining back some stamina and strength for swimming. Getting back into active shape after being relatively inactive during recovery is a bitch!
                  Gayle, age 50
                  Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                  Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                  Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                  2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                  2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

stacking a medium sized dog

Well, I did survive showing Augie doggie, and because this was his first "real" show, he decided to sit for exam. Sigh. Belgians are a medium sized dog and so I basically had to get down on my knees, bring in the crane and lift the dog's back end to stand up and then stack him. Silly dog.

At almost 11 months I can kind of bend (from the hips), but if I need to really control the dog, it's down on my knees to do the ground work.
                    Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                    Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                    Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                    Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                    The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                    Before and after xrays:
                    http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Originally posted by djkinkead View Post
                      Well, I did survive showing Augie doggie, and because this was his first "real" show, he decided to sit for exam. Sigh. Belgians are a medium sized dog and so I basically had to get down on my knees, bring in the crane and lift the dog's back end to stand up and then stack him. Silly dog.

At almost 11 months I can kind of bend (from the hips), but if I need to really control the dog, it's down on my knees to do the ground work.
                      Congratulations on getting back in the ring with Augie!! Glad to hear you can bend from the hips or kneel to stack. How was gaiting him around the ring??

Janet

Comment

Gaiting him took some experimentation. I first tried light normal running where you land on your heels--that jarred my back too much. I started trotting more on the balls of my feet and that went very well.

I will state that in the past 1.5 months I feel I have gained quite a bit of agility and kneeling down and getting back up without something to grab is getting easier--but it still takes a bit of "concentration".

I am happy that I am no longer winded running around the ring--I never realized how much wind capacity I was losing.
                        Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                        Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                        Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                        Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                        The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                        Before and after xrays:
                        http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Stacking a medium sized dog

Originally posted by djkinkead View Post
                          Gaiting him took some experimentation. I first tried light normal running where you land on your heels--that jarred my back too much. I started trotting more on the balls of my feet and that went very well.

I will state that in the past 1.5 months I feel I have gained quite a bit of agility and kneeling down and getting back up without something to grab is getting easier--but it still takes a bit of "concentration".

I am happy that I am no longer winded running around the ring--I never realized how much wind capacity I was losing.
                          I'm so happy to hear you were able to determine how to gait him well without impacting your back. Congratulations on your return to the ring. The information you've shared is very encouraging to me.

Janet
                          Last edited by JanetS; 07-13-2012, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Started Race Walking Postop

Hi Karen,

This is an awesome thread; thanks for starting it. I celebrated 9 months postop by walking my first ever 5k race and finished in less than one hour! Since I've been advised to never jog again but was told to walk as much as possible as long as it doesn't hurt, I've been bit by the race walking bug. After exploring high quality walking shoes, I invested in a pair of Mizuno's and they are so comfortable! I'm planning several more 5k races over the next several months leading up to my big goal of the NYC Hope & Possibility 8k race in June 2013.

Warmly,
                            Doreen
                            44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                            Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                            2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for posting, Doreen.

Everyone: Be sure to click on Doreen's link to her race pictures. She looks so tall, slim, and in good physical condition (also very straight!!!)
                              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                              Rib Hump-GONE!
                              Age-60 at the time of surgery
                              Now 66
                              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hiking in the Canadian Rockies!

Hi All,

Doreen, congrats on your 5K! That’s fantastic and a great pace! FYI..the largest “walking only” race in the country is in Ohio! The walk offers a 10K and a half marathon course. We should get a group together and walk in it next fall!

www.newalbanywalkingclassic.com

I have never considered myself to be "athletic", but I have always enjoyed walking, hiking, and biking. My husband and I just returned from a trip to Banff, Jasper and Yoho National Parks in Canada. I was thrilled that I was able to handle our “Rocky Mountain” hikes! We took several hikes that had very steep sections and/or scree fields. See my signature for a link to a few hiking picture. My back was tired at the end of these hiking days, but so was the rest of my body. I did find trekking pole to be very helpful when descending. The Canadian Rockies are amazing!

Also, this trip was my 12th flight since my surgery 2 years ago and my longest flight to date. One leg of the flight was 3.5 hours. I had no problems!
                                Kathy
                                46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                                71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                                8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                                http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Working...
                                X