Looking for people who have returned to athletic activities post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for people who have returned to athletic activities post-op

After corresponding with Donna today and comparing notes on our tennis and golf games post-op, I tried to find a thread with this topic and couldn't find one. I think it would be encouraging to those of you who are in the pre-surgery mode or in the early recovery period to hear from some of us who have returned to activities, even if there are some limitations. I know our main goals with surgery are to reduce pain and stop progression, but we also hope to be able to return to activities that are part of our life, too. I hope to hear from water skiers, snow skiers (Ed & Jenee & others), swimmers, tennis players, dancers, golfers, bikers, kayakers, etc. If anyone has a video, that would be even better.

I'll start:
    Tap Dancing: returned at 6 months, but avoided some impact steps until I was a year post-op
    Golf: started chipping and putting at 6 months and taking full swings at a year-Now, at 3 months into the season & 1 1/2 years post-op, I feel like I'm only a few strokes higher than I was before my surgery. It's so much better than I had hoped!
    Bike Riding: Returned to leisurely riding my bike at a year post-op

My signature has a picture of me tap dancing and a video of me hitting a golf ball on my first day of playing golf after surgery.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Agility anyone?

Hello everyone. I am a candidate for a T4 to sacrum fusion in the future and for the past 20 years have enjoyed showing my Vizslas in conformation and agility. Any other conformation and/or agility enthusiasts on the list? I was told I would not be able to run with such a long fusion, but was surprised to see a post about being able to return to tennis which would also require the ability to run. If so, perhaps agility might not be out of the question for me at some point?

Janet
    57 y/o
    53 degree left thoracolumbar scoliosis
    27 degree right thoracic scolisis
    36 degree fractional lumbosacral scoliosis
    (Twin Cities Spine Clinic 2002)
    Last edited by JanetS; 07-02-2012, 12:26 PM.

Comment

I know kids are more resilient & this is an adult thread, but... I noticed this post today after an incredible weekend at the beach w Jacob. His 6-mo post anniv is tomorrow, and he started surfing on a longboard yesterday, along w paddleboarding, kayaking & tennis over the past 2 weeks. No problems from any of that, but soreness standing in formation at marching band rehearsals for hours. Guess there's no way around that one.
      Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
      Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
      Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
      Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
      photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Originally posted by JanetS View Post
        Hello everyone. I am a candidate for a T4 to sacrum fusion in the future and for the past 20 years have enjoyed showing my Vizslas in conformation and agility. Any other conformation and/or agility enthusiasts on the list? I was told I would not be able to run with such a long fusion, but was surprised to see a post about being able to return to tennis which would also require the ability to run. If so, perhaps agility might not be out of the question for me at some point?

Janet
        57 y/o
        53 degree left thoracolumbar scoliosis
        27 degree right thoracic scolisis
        36 degree fractional lumbosacral scoliosis
        (Twin Cities Spine Clinic 2002)
        Hi Janet,
        I am the tennis player who has returned to playing now that I am beyond one-yr post op. I am fused to L3, not the sacrum, so that may be a factor with my ability to move as well as I do. I am still waiting for that time to make a video of me playing tennis. However, with this heat wave, I may have to wait a bit longer.
        Donna
        Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
        Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
        Fused T3-L3
        60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
        Tennis player & returning to the courts!
        http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

Show Belgian Sheepdogs

Hi JanetS,

I am ten months post surgery and did take my youngest dog, Augie, to a fun match two weeks ago. At first I just walked around with him but towards the end did a few trotting steps. It was a bit jarring, but I decided I could do the short trotting sprints with a dog if I had REALLY good, shock obsorbing shoes. Did some research and it appears some running shoes are built specifically for obsorbing shock. So I bought a pair.

Why?

Because once I showed up at the fun match my Belgian friends eyes gleamed in the hopes of building majors at the shows this weekend. Yep, I am entered. Husband is going along just in case I need a stand (trot?) in.

I have decided I would not show, at least for the foreseable future, to show at an outdoor show because the grounds are always a bit lumpy.

I guess we'll see how this goes! Hopefully Augie will behave and not trip me! He is a handful.
          Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
          Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
          Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
          Dr. Charles Edwards, II
          The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
          Before and after xrays:
          http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Originally posted by djkinkead View Post
            Hi JanetS,

I am ten months post surgery and did take my youngest dog, Augie, to a fun match two weeks ago. At first I just walked around with him but towards the end did a few trotting steps. It was a bit jarring, but I decided I could do the short trotting sprints with a dog if I had REALLY good, shock obsorbing shoes. Did some research and it appears some running shoes are built specifically for obsorbing shock. So I bought a pair.

Why?

Because once I showed up at the fun match my Belgian friends eyes gleamed in the hopes of building majors at the shows this weekend. Yep, I am entered. Husband is going along just in case I need a stand (trot?) in.

I have decided I would not show, at least for the foreseable future, to show at an outdoor show because the grounds are always a bit lumpy.

I guess we'll see how this goes! Hopefully Augie will behave and not trip me! He is a handful.
            Hi

Not sure if I've said before but your before xray curves are very similar to my curves although mine is the opposite to yours and I have a harrington rod at the bottom.
            I think my full fusion with possible pelvis fixation will be similar to yours too so its nice to know your starting to trot :-) already. I hope we're able to do more exercise as time does by post op.
            Good Luck with your showing x
            27 yr old Female.
            Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
            Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
            Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

The only restrictions I was given were no running and no lifting heavy objects. I can do both, without any problems, but I am not keen to risk a further surgery to extend my rods in the future, so avoid those activities. Physically, I don't think there's anything I *can't* do, just things that I deliberately avoid. (Small price to pay.) At 61 I still have a lot of living to do and further spinal surgery is something I can do without.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Karen

Did you want me to post? I’m such a lurking turkey....

Since running seems to be the topic....I can run, but its not something I do unless my date is upset....There is no shock absorbing qualities left in my spine so, I guess the best way to put it is that it’s not a natural feeling anymore. Running on my toes helps absorb that shock.

I have lifted 150#. I know, its nuts but it happened. Sure did put it to the test huh? I have permission to lift 100#. Its not something I do often.

I bought a ski pass for next season. I did not have one for this past season because I’m able to predict snowfall....LOL and yes, it was a really bad snow season. Next season HAS to be better. My restrictions now with skiing are “no velocity” which result in a devastating crash. I was told that fusions can crack in a rotational direction, so a hard blow to the shoulders would not be good. I don’t ski extremely hard anymore....my body can’t handle it, and I’m not allowed to jump anymore....

Riding on a motorcycle is much easier now.....swimming and or diving is not a problem other than putting on fins, which can be a test. Looking down can present problems, I cannot attach a ski ticket to my waist, I cannot see, because I cannot bend my spine....a full fusion thing.

Welcome Janet,
                While we can be agile, (in time, after we are recovered) things that shock us vertically, like running hard for a long distance, or landing from a jump are delicate. If I’m sitting on a wall, and have to hop down around 24” I will hesitate. That’s not going to feel all that pleasant. Good luck with your decision, keep posting and asking questions.

After 4 1/2 years, I consider my surgeries a complete success. I don’t think I could have come out any better. I never thought that I would be saying these words....

For the 1st time, I had someone measure my scars with a tape ruler. 22” back scar, 12” front scar. They are getting hard to see now...
                Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Yes, Ed, I definitely hoped you would post. Can you put the link to your unbelievable talents on the slopes? No one would believe that it would be possible.
                  Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Here it is, I’m in the red jacket. The video was done 01/01/11
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tEyp...&feature=email

When you know how to ski properly, it doesn’t take much effort just like in the video. Just like any sport, technique is essential. If you want the workout, its there if you wish, if you don’t, it isn’t.

One of the things that I though was helpful for the thoracic after surgery is poling on the flats. Just like a cross country skier, the full motion of the arms with some resistance really toughened my paraspinal’s up again.

I used to ski bike years ago. I decided that I would give my bike to a friend since it is too dangerous. That is one activity with maximum “G” forces, the crashes are unforgiving and there are no brakes. This activity is too dangerous after fusion surgery. (smiley face)

Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks, Ed! That video is way more exciting and inspirational than my first golf swing of 2012. I am still not where I was before surgery with consistency in my golf scores and with the distance of most clubs, but I've had several good scores that give me hope that it will come with practice, patience & working out.
                      Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Tennis video

Hey everyone!

It seemed appropriate to make my tennis video on July 4th when it is hotter than a firecracker on the tennis courts! I have included my tennis videos in my signature. Granted, they won't be competing with any of the Wimbledon highlights. However, I am just thrilled to be playing again!

Donna
                        Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
                        Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
                        Fused T3-L3
                        60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
                        Tennis player & returning to the courts!
                        http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

Donna,
                          That was just great! Your form looks good. I didn't even play golf today because of the heat, so I can't even imagine playing tennis! Thanks for sharing your video.
                          Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

I went back to roller skating 11 months post-op and really enjoyed it because I felt the joy of doing something that I thought I might never be able to do again. Since we have moved to N. Carolina, there is no skating for adults so now I am enjoying line dancing which is quite physical and great exercise. I am also starting Zumba classes and will only do what I can do. It is a lot of fun and excellent exercise.
                            Take care everyone.
                            Sally
                            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

What a shame there is no roller skating for adults. You look like a professional in your pictures. I'm sure you miss it.
                              Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                              Now 66
                              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Working...
                              X