as curves progress...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• as curves progress...

as her curves grow would this be too early for her to have upper respiratory issues at this early stage?
    Proud mommy of a beautiful 15 year old daughter
    **diagnosed 10/2010** "Thorasic mid 20*'s Lumbar high 20*'s"
    **as of 12/2012** "Thorasic 49* Lumbar 52*"

after 4/30/13 surgery she is straight as an arrow!
    GOD BLESS THE SHRINERS & HOSPITAL STAFF & DR GUPTA

paralysis

my daughter just asked if scoliosis caused paralysis...I told her I didn't think so...am i right?
    Proud mommy of a beautiful 15 year old daughter
    **diagnosed 10/2010** "Thorasic mid 20*'s Lumbar high 20*'s"
    **as of 12/2012** "Thorasic 49* Lumbar 52*"

after 4/30/13 surgery she is straight as an arrow!
    GOD BLESS THE SHRINERS & HOSPITAL STAFF & DR GUPTA

Comment

Originally posted by annm View Post
      as her curves grow would this be too early for her to have upper respiratory issues at this early stage?
      How big is her thoracic curve? You should ask your surgeon this question.

I posted some material on this issue in an earlier thread of yours...

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...326-Overloaded

My understanding is that the curve would have to be quite large (>90*) for some time to affect lung capacity. But again, your surgeon will know the correct answer.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

my daughter just asked if scoliosis caused paralysis...I told her I didn't think so...am i right?
        If it gets completely out of hand as in very large I am guessing it might given that some folks here with large curves experience nerve issues to include numbness. There is no surgeon or parent who would allow a child to get to that point in this country I suspect. Even kids from countries with long wait lists with large curves seem to get the surgery before permanent nerve damage occurs.

The concern with nerve damage is the opposite... waiting too long makes the surgery more complex and more dangerous as a general rule. Note to your mother who seems to be operating without any facts whatsoever. Ask her if she wants that on her conscience.
        Last edited by Pooka1; 06-18-2012, 05:44 AM.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi

I don't know the size of her curves but I was referred back to my surgeon in Oct 10 due to severe pain and rib movement.
          They said in June 2011 that my top curve had moved from approx 20-30 degrees to 94 degrees. Others may be different but since then I have been having chest pains and breathing problems, I just thought I was getting really unfit but they send me for some tests and found my right lung has compressed.
          My curve is now 104 degrees and I'm still waiting for surgery and my breathing is more difficult, just walking up the stairs at home whilst taking I'm panting at the top of the stairs.
          27 yr old Female.
          Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
          Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
          Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

Working...
          X