No announcement yet.

August 8 upcoming surgery with Dr. Lenke/ questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiredness is to be expected with that drug regimen. I was on the same one and can hardly remember those first couple of weeks. Make sure she is taking her senna and colace, as well as Miralax if needed. I had to take 4 senna plus and Miralax daily while on oxicontin. If you don't, it can be very painful.

Things to go back to the hospital for would be major chest pain, seepage from wound, severe disorientation. Basically, signs of a stroke, heart attack, pulmonary embolism or infection. These complications are EXTREMELY rare, so don't get too hung up on them, but it's better to be close by just in case. Plus, Jane probably could use a few days before traveling, anyway.

Best,
    Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
      Tiredness is to be expected with that drug regimen. I was on the same one and can hardly remember those first couple of weeks. Make sure she is taking her senna and colace, as well as Miralax if needed. I had to take 4 senna plus and Miralax daily while on oxicontin. If you don't, it can be very painful.

Things to go back to the hospital for would be major chest pain, seepage from wound, severe disorientation. Basically, signs of a stroke, heart attack, pulmonary embolism or infection. These complications are EXTREMELY rare, so don't get too hung up on them, but it's better to be close by just in case. Plus, Jane probably could use a few days before traveling, anyway.

Best,
      Evelyn
      Evelyn,

How do you get off the meds? Is it something that your doctor guides you thru or you just start increasing interval between taking the meds, cut pills in-half, etc? Do doctors tell their patients how to wean off the meds or is it left up to us to play it be ear?
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

I have asked that question a few times myself. There are a few threads on it. Try searching "pain meds" or "weaning." For me, whenever I would call for a refill, the medical assistant would tell me "okay, but this is the last time we'll refill this one." Or "okay, but we're prescribing a lower dosage." A couple of times I got: "we don't refill that one." (Oxicontin, valium, Flexeril.) When you get down to the last one, which for me is Norco, you just start spacing it out more and more. It has taken me FOREVER, but I am down to 1/2 pill a day! Plan to stop altogether next week.

Best,
        Evelyn
        age 48
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
          I have asked that question a few times myself. There are a few threads on it. Try searching "pain meds" or "weaning." For me, whenever I would call for a refill, the medical assistant would tell me "okay, but this is the last time we'll refill this one." Or "okay, but we're prescribing a lower dosage." A couple of times I got: "we don't refill that one." (Oxicontin, valium, Flexeril.) When you get down to the last one, which for me is Norco, you just start spacing it out more and more. It has taken me FOREVER, but I am down to 1/2 pill a day! Plan to stop altogether next week.

Best,
          Evelyn
          1/2 a pill is good! Let us know next week when you're totally off the meds. Waiting to hear for the good news.
          I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
          45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
          A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Doing better than I had expected

Hi, all. This is my first time posting for myself since my July 23 surgery with Dr. Lenke. I think I am doing much better than I thought I would be by this time. I walked 3/4 of a mile outside today without assistance! I am at this point starting to reduce pain medication, trying the strongest, oxyContin , every other day instead of every day and am only taking the Vicodan a couple of times a day. I am able to sit more than an hour at a time. Most of my pain has been muscle pain not spine pain. Some of the issues I've had have been: found out at end of my hospital stay that I was allergic to Percocet (had horrible hives and itching), have run a low grade fever every afternoon for past 3 weeks and no can seem to be able to find a reason, and my head seems to turn slightly down and to the right(they have me wearing a cervical collar part of the day to remind me to hold it more upwards and straight.) Tonight I had no fever for the first time so maybe it is over. Hope so. I do think working out twice a week for the past 3 1/2 years gave me a big advantage. I am looking forward to being "out and about" more soon. Jane

Comment

Forgot something

I am now 2 inches taller and my spine looks pretty straight on x-ray!
              Jane

Comment

wow, jane, congratulations on how well you are doing!!
                not even a month out from surgery....amazing...so happy for you!
                i hope you feel a little better every day....

jess...& Sparky

Comment

Congratulations Jane. Sounds like you're doing exceptionally well. Hope the remainder of your recovery continues as well as it is now.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thank you

I appreciate your encouragement!

Last night I didn't give the real reason for my good recovery, prayer! I am grateful to have so many people who have been praying for me daily. God is my main strength!
                    Jane

Comment

Jane

You made it, congratulations. You are almost past the hardest part, things will get better soon.

Keep notes on everything, meds, diet, etc.

It sure is something when the nurse brings in that first x-ray when you are in the hospital....I never expected such a correction.

Hang in there
                      Ed
                      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

So encouraging!

Fantastic Jane!!
                        You're doing amazingly well!! And you're only 3 weeks post op!!! what an inspiration! I'll keep those prayers coming!!

Comment

Jane,
                          You sound so good. I'm happy everything is going well for you. At 5 weeks, I started going out more for lunch, dinner, to the Y, etc. Seeing other people (and hearing their compliments) was a huge boost for me. I knew I had a huge recovery still ahead, but the first month was over and things kept getting easier.
                          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                          Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Age-60 at the time of surgery
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Jane,

I am glad that things are going so well for you

Melissa
                            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Jane--
                              I am so happy for you! All sounds right on target. Continued success with your recovery! Janet
                              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Wow, Jane! You are doing great to be able to cut back on pain meds so much already!! Glad the fever seems to have stopped. (I assume they ruled out infection?) Really hope I get to meet you in St. Louis! You sound like a strong, resilient woman!

Best,
                                Evelyn
                                age 48

Comment

Working...
                                X