August 8 upcoming surgery with Dr. Lenke/ questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're here!

Well, I will be "on the other side" as y'all say in about 48 hours from now! We flew in Thursday night with some problems but it all worked out in the end. Our plane was ok from Columbia to Atlanta but the plane to take us from Allanta to St. Louis had mechanical problems so we sat locked in it for 3 hot hours on the Tarmac! Finally I told the stewardess that I had to get here for my surgery and after about 20 more minutes they let all of us off and cancelled that flight. The same stewardess got my husband and me quietly and took us and changed us to the last two seats on another plane and we arrived here at about 9pm. Our luggage arrived at the hotel the next night. I had my central line put in yesterday, another MRI of my thoracic area(Dr. Lenke didn't like the quality of the one they did in November), and my anesthesia appointment. The central line bothered me somewhat late yesterday but is ok today. Last night my husband's iPad in a hard case slipped out of my hand somehow and it dropped it's hard corner on my big toe and today it is swollen and black and blue. The IPad is ok though! We went to the St. Louis Art Museum this afternoon in Forest Park and enjoyed it. I hope one day after healing from this surgery to start back painting. My daughter came yesterday and will stay until the day after my surgery. She plans to fly back after I leave the hospital to help my husband when I am in the hotel. If all goes well, we plan to fly back home on August 4.

I hope my husband will post some for me while I'm in the hospital. The wifi signal in the hotel only works on the 7th& 8th floors so I'm sitting in a chair on the 7th floor outside the elevators. Our Verizon cell phones don't work well anywhere in the hotel or the hospital. Have had to go out on the street most times to use them. (the temps the next several days will be between 105 and 108 degrees! I thought Columbia was hot!)

I really appreciate all of the advice and encouragement I have received from all of you!
    Jane

Comment

Love and prayers for you, Jane!

Jane,
      I popped on here tonight to tell you that I will be thinking about you and praying for you tonight and tomorrow... and days after too but especially tomorrow. I know you will do great! I can't wait to hear about your journey and recovery process. Feel free to call me when you are feeling up to it. Tell your husband to hang in there! I know he has not been the biggest fan of this surgery but I am so glad that he is such a great support/ caregiver to you. God Bless you both. Talk to you when you reach "the other side"!

Best,
      Heidi
      Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
      53*T 71*L
      Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
      Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

Hope it all goes smoothly, you get a great result and a complication free recovery. You sound very organised and prepared so that will help. I look forward to reading news from your husband or yourself, at some stage post-surgery. All the very best Jane.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Best wishes for a successful surgery and smooth recovery! Post as soon as you can.

Best,
          Evelyn
          age 48
          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Best wishes that all goes well
            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Jane--
              I will be thinking of you tomorrow and praying for a great outcome! You sound very optimistic and ready to go. Best of luck in the coming days. Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Jane,

Good Luck for your surgery! I'll be on the other side very soon too, I'm being admitted on 25th for surgery on 26th. Hope to come on here to say how well I'm doing and see the exact same from you.

I'll be thinking about you x
                27 yr old Female.
                Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
                Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
                Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenna.KB View Post
                  Hi Jane,

Good Luck for your surgery! I'll be on the other side very soon too, I'm being admitted on 25th for surgery on 26th. Hope to come on here to say how well I'm doing and see the exact same from you.

I'll be thinking about you x
                  Hi Jenna,

Good luck with your surgery. I am so glad to hear that they are finally doing it for you.
                  I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                  45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                  A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Thinking about you

Hi Jane,
                    By now you are probably out of surgery and I hope are resting well. I just wanted you to know that I am thinking and praying for you.
                    Wishing you the very best,
                    Heidi
                    Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
                    53*T 71*L
                    Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
                    Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

Jane,

By now you are through with the surgery and are experiencing your first day post surgery. Always remember it will get better. Be sure to communicate with the staff when you are in pain--and your family can be your go between to make sure you get your medication on time. Sleeping is natural right now--your body is healing.

They will have you standing in a day or two! I know it seems impossible, but it will happen!

Prayers for you and your family!

Same thoughts for you, Jenna!!!!
                      Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                      Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                      Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                      Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                      The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                      Before and after xrays:
                      http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Finally on the other side

Hi, this is Edwin, the husband, posting for Jane.

Finally it is over. Surgery was yesterday -eight hours from first cut to finished. Everything went well and I was fused T4 to sacrum with two cages. Dr. Lenke came in around 7:00 AM this morning with his Fellow and is very pleased with the results. He corrected two thirds of the curvature (from 68 degrees to around 23 degrees.) He got rid of my kyphosis down to zero! I spent the first night in a Critical Care Area, which is not quite ICU and had to use the pain pump about once per hour. My night nurse did not know that the doctor had written an order for a muscle relaxant so I did not get one until I asked the day nurse who gave me one this morning which was a help. The pain has not been as bad as I thought it would be. The most uncomfortable part so far is constantly itching skin (the Dr. says it is due to the pain meds) but the Benedryl has helped it some. PT came at 9:00 and got me up and I was able to walk about twenty steps. Someone came and took an x-ray while I was in the bed, the respiratory person came with a spirometer which I am to use for ten breaths every hour.

I had requested a private room and was able to get one around 2:00PM and here I am. My pain level has increased (still not unbearable) but has improved since I got the muscle relaxant. Occupational therapy was supposed to be here at 4:00 but as of 5:10 is not here yet. I will have to get up and walk again but am not looking forward to it now. I can only have ice chips by mouth until my digestive system starts working again. Edwin spent the night in the CCA room in a recliner and is going to be on the couch in my room tonight.

Thank you to everyone for all of your concern and words of encouragement!

Jane (via Edwin)
                        Last edited by jane d; 07-24-2012, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jane d View Post
                          Hi, this is Edwin, the husband, posting for Jane.

Finally it is over. Surgery was yesterday -eight hours from first cut to finished. Everything went well and I was fused T4 to sacrum with two cages. Dr. Lenke came in around 7:00 AM this morning with his Fellow and is very pleased with the results. He corrected two thirds of the curvature (from 68 degrees to around 23 degrees.) He got rid of my kyphosis down to zero! I spent the first night in a Critical Care Area, which is not quite ICU and had to use the pain pump about once per hour. My night nurse did not know that the doctor had written an order for a muscle relaxant so I did not get one until I asked the day nurse who gave me one this morning which was a help. The pain has not been as bad as I thought it would be. The most uncomfortable part so far is constantly itching skin (the Dr. says it is due to the pain meds) but the Benedryl has helped it some. PT came at 9:00 and got me up and I was able to walk about twenty steps. Someone came and took an x-ray while I was in the bed, the respiratory person came with a spirometer which I am to use for ten breaths every hour.

I had requested a private room and was able to get one around 2:00PM and here I am. My pain level has increased (still not unbearable) but has improved since I got the muscle relaxant. Occupational therapy was supposed to be here at 4:00 but as of 5:10 is not here yet. I will have to get up and walk again but am not looking forward to it now. I can only have ice chips by mouth until my digestive system starts working again. Edwin spent the night in the CCA room in a recliner and is going to be on the couch in my room tonight.

Thank you to everyone for all of your concern and words of encouragement!

Jane (via Edwin)
                          Thank you Edwin! It's great to know Jane's surgery has gone smoothly and she's on her way to recovery already. Tell Jane that the walking will strengthen her, not weaken her as it may seem, especially in these early days. I'm so glad to hear things are going so well for her.

Jane's results are very similar to mine. I had a 68 degree curve which was brought back to 22 and I'm completely pain-free now. Miracles do happen!

I hope you are able to sleep on that couch, Edwin! This surgery can take its toll on family as well, so take good care.
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Glad that you made to the other side
                            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Glad to hear that the surgery went well. Must be such a relief for this to be over with.
                              I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                              45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                              A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Hi Jane,

Your experience sounds EXACTLY like mine so far! Same doctor, same levels, 8 hours, night in critical care, good correction and itching from pain meds. However, I didn't walk the first day, and nearly fainted when I sat up. So, kudos to you!! You are on the coveted "other side" and on your way to recovery!!! Keep us posted.

Best,
                                Evelyn
                                age 48
                                80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                                Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                                Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                                Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                                Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
                                X