Had a great fall!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a great fall!

Have not posted in awhile, but check in almost everyday to see how everyone is. I have been great, really no issues with pain, very active working, riding my bike, and walking a lot. One problem I do have is when I trip and loose my balance, I go down like a pole falling. Yesterday, I was walking my dog, I must have hit a crack in the sidewalk and down I went, smashed my face terribly (I look like I was in some kind of bar fight!). I guess my question is for anyone who is also fused all the way, does this happen to you also, because this is the third time it,s happened, and unbelievably, everything hurts but my back.
    Dolores A
    June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
    June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
    Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
    NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Hi Dolores...

I have the same issue. I think the problem is that our center of balance is screwed up, so when we are thrown off balance, we have no way of correcting the problem. I've fallen quite a few times, including planting my face once like you just did. It's all very embarrassing.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hello Delores,

I have also fallen on my face after tripping on a tiny bump in the street. Fell over like a tree and broke my nose, front teeth and arm! I'm fused from T-6 to L-4 and can't adjust my back to avoid falling forward if I get too much off balance. Could have been worse.

Nora
      T-6 to L-4 Zeilke/CD (Anterior/Posterior) procedures done at age 39in 1988 at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital by Dr. Jean Pierre Farcy.

Comment

Originally posted by dolores a View Post
        unbelievably, everything hurts but my back.
        That’s the problem with successful scoliosis surgery, you find out everything else is shot! What are you going to do? (I just keep smiling, I’m not going to worry anymore....I’m done with that)

In being fused all the way down to the pelvis, there is slight lack of flexibility, or lazyness possibly? in being able to “tilt” the hips, to lift a leg...I have noticed this, its very slight, and have tripped, but recovered before falling. Tripping on a regular basis is not something to take lightly...and self diagnosis on a neuro issue is IMPOSSIBLE. It takes multiple doctors a long, long time to diagnose, and they are trained....Another thing I have noticed is that looking down, or the lower periphery vision is lacking some. Is that because I walk like a model now (head up), my eyes taking a dump from old age, or from my protruding belly?

Its probably the belly.....(This question is not on the United States Medical licensing exam) Chuckle,chuckle...
        http://www.usmle.org/

Walking slower is a good thing.....I’m trying myself to focus on this since I have always walked faster than most. Changing sidewalk heights require us to look down slightly, and preserving the neck has been my focus lately.

Its great to hear that things are great Dolores, Its nice to be over the pain of scoliosis and the gall attacks. Nice to be a few years out...

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Wow Nora!

Those are substantial injuries!

I didn’t realize that everyone has been crashing so hard.

We might as well be playing football! Practice starts next week! Bring your braces!

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Linda, as usual you always have a way of putting things into perspective, that is exactly what I felt, not being able to correct the fall, and knowing this when you go down is very scarry!

Hi Nora, I see you know that feeling also, but I guess like Ed says we should walk a little slower, I tend to be a fast walker also, even when I was walking down the isle on my wedding day my father had to hold me back a bit.

hi Ed, no it's not the belly because I don't have much of one, I think it's the model thing going on, sounds good anyway. You mentioned preserving your neck, what kind of issues are you having? As I said, no pains with the back, but am having issues w/my neck above my fusion.
            Dolores A
            Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS

Comment

Hi Dolores, nice to hear from you again but sorry to hear about your nasty fall.

I agree with Linda's centre of gravity thing and the inability to adjust sideways or backwards to correct the tilt as we go down. I haven't fallen yet, but have come close many times. I walk fast and I don't lift my feet properly so trip quite a lot. I've come so close to hitting the ground it's not funny.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

hmmmm....just a note...
                i wonder if most people with scoli....at least, pronounced
                curves....have a good center of gravity....????
                i never have...couldn't seem to learn to ride a bike, though
                i didn't try to learn til i was an adult...
                had awful lack of center of gravity when studying ballet
                as a kid, though i didn't know what was going on back then....
                (no pun intended)

if you think about it, a substantial curve is likely to throw
                off center of gravity...even sense of balance, at times... at
                least, that is my own experience...

hope you feel better soon, dolores...
                jess

Comment

Hi Jennifer, I'm always in awe of how well you've come along and your positive attitude. Your right though, it is a scary thing because I have no problems with walking, I can walk for long distances, so when it happens it's very startling.

Hi Jess, hope your pain level is ok for now! I know I always kind of had two left feet growing up, couldn't touch my toes and all, but this is a little different, when you feel yourself going down, there's no stopping it.
                  Dolores A
                  Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS

Comment

Oh my gosh, that fall sounds horrifying! I don't have a substantially huge curve and am not fused. I do have some problems with correcting my balance when I trip. The PT said it was because I'm not flexible in the spine. I usually fall at least a few times each year, but thankfully never actually broke anything. It just triggers massive back pain for me. I hope you feel better soon. Are they going to have to cap your teeth or are they gone? So, so sorry to hear.
                    Be happy!
                    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

Gosh Dolores that fall sounds painful and scary, hope your recovering.

I'm slightly worried by all the comments in this thread. I'm awaiting full fusion with possible pelvis fixation and I wasn't aware of balance problems after surgery and how easy it is to fall. I'm so going to have to get used to taking my time and walking slower. It scares me to think I might fall and really hurt myself.

I'm learning new things about full fusion everyday though on this forum which will help me after surgery :-)

Ed, you mention not being able to tilt your pelvis. I thought even with pelvis fixation you would be able to tilt your pelvis forward and backwards to sort of stick out your bottom. Is this not the case after full fusion?

Jenna
                      27 yr old Female.
                      Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
                      Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
                      Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

oh dolores, i know it is different...
                        it sounds terrifying, like a nitemare, feeling
                        yourself falling and not being able to stop it...
                        i was just thinking how scoli seems to rob people
                        of ever having had a true center of gravity or of balance...

hope you heal quickly...and remain on your feet....
                        sorry you are hurting...

jess...& Sparky

Comment

Hi Jena, I'm sorry if I scared you a bit about my fall, but I had my surgery in June of '09 (wow, I just realized I just passed my 3 year anniversary!), but anyway it's not my balance that's off, actually it's pretty good. It is only if I trip on something or other I have to be more aware. It's been three years now since my surgery, and as you can see from my signature, I had just about the same levels you are about to go through, and at three years post op I don't even think about it anymore. Of course I don't have the flexibility for some things, I have adapted. My pain, especially the sciatica is completely gone and live a relatively normal life. believe it or not, after awhile after post op, you just get on with your life, with some minor limitations. I'll be following your posts to see how you are doing!
                          Dolores A
                          Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS

Comment

Hi Jena, I'm sorry if I scared you a bit about my fall, but I had my surgery in June of '09 (wow, I just realized I just passed my 3 year anniversary!), but anyway it's not my balance that's off, actually it's pretty good. It is only if I trip on something or other I have to be more aware. It's been three years now since my surgery, and as you can see from my signature, I had just about the same levels you are about to go through, and at three years post op I don't even think about it anymore. Of course I don't have the flexibility for some things, I have adapted. My pain, especially the sciatica is completely gone and live a relatively normal life. believe it or not, after awhile after post op, you just get on with your life, with some minor limitations. I'll be following your posts to see how you are doing!

Dolores
                            Dolores A
                            Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS

Comment

Falling?

I have actually seldom fallen in the last 10 years since my surgery. The times I have fallen were related to conditions which would cause most persons to slip: a wet floor in Walmart= I fell on my back(nothing happened-just sore. Another time it was black ice by my mailbox and on a carpeted stairs my slippers slipped and I went down on my rear. I never fall forward.

In the general population the normal weakening of muscles as we age are listed as causative factors. I find keeping fit at the gym and resistance training really help me catch myself before falling. I am more careful with footwear. "Slides" have to fit snugly so I do not slide. I do not wear excessively high heels. In that Wallmart fall I was wearing Sketchers which are very slippery when wet.
                              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
                              X