Hip sticking out more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hip sticking out more

I have had a curve in the 60's for years......hovering around 62 - 65 depending on who does the reading of the xray. Seems to get about 1 degree per year worse on average my whole life. I am 43 now. My curve in 2008 was 55 and I just figured it was calculated differently and didn't think much of it. Just had another xray this month and the reading is 54. Now while I do not believe my curve is getting better - I am curious as to why the numbers are changing in the lower direction. The other problem I can notice is that my left hip which has always stuck out seems to be getting worse to me. My husband even noticed it. I am puzzled as to how my hip could be getting more deformed but the curve is not progessing enough to show on an xray. Also - I've lost another inch in my height. Down from 5'3 to 5'2. Seems to me the curve would be getting worse. My only explanation might be that the rotations are getting worse and that is not being tracked. Would that cause the hip and height changes? I haven't found anything on line to help. Anyone have any ideas or have had this happen to them?
    43 y.o. married w/a 12 and 14 y.o
    62 degree curve T7 - L2 that is now being measured at 54 degrees?????
    Never had surgery/Thinking about it and gathering all the info I can!

Hi...

It could be rotation. It also could be something like a fractional curve that wasn't measured. With that said, if you're not having a lot of pain, the changes probably anything to worry about. That is, the changes probably wouldn't be a reason to consider surgery on their own. But, if you have a lot of pain, and are on the fence about whether to have surgery, you might consider the changes in your decision making.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi

I don't know about hip but my top curve has severely rotated over the last year and I have lost nearly 2 inches in height and my right rib cage protrudes more than it did so maybe your curve is rotating.

When did you last have xrays?maybe your due some more. Whilst your height and hip protruding may not be the only reasons to consider surgery if your curve is getting worse you may decide to go down the surgery route. I was told by my surgeon that the longer we leave surgery the more we leave ourselves open to the spine being more rigid and you don't get as good as a correction. Just something to consider.

Jenna x
      27 yr old Female.
      Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
      Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
      Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

Working...
      X