No announcement yet.

Tried out a Sleep Number bed on Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

type in "latex mattresses" on internet...
    info is all over...

when i was a kid, i had some kind of foam rubber mattress...
    i loved it...still buy foam rubber pillows.....
    but it wasn't squishy...i do not like memory foam stuff....
    maybe cause my body is so crooked, if i sink in with my body
    shape, i just feel even more crooked, for some reason...
    i like the matttess to have it's own shape....
    also, i have a friend who got a tempur pedic...but she doesnt
    like it...said it is showing permanent body indentations that
    do not go away...she has had it for 3 years...

i like soft mattresses, too...always have...even though
    i know firm is supposed to be better for the spine...

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
      type in "latex mattresses" on internet...
      info is all over...

i like soft mattresses, too...always have...even though
      i know firm is supposed to be better for the spine...

jess
      Jess, I think that the old recommendation for a mattress was a firm mattress for the spine. I really disagree with that and was told by a Physical Therapist that you need a mattress that conforms to your spine so that the entire spine is supported. If I sleep on a firm mattress, I wake up with the worst backache. So I really love the latex because it is soft but supportive and it is much cooler than memory foam. It does dish to a small degree, but I think it is because I have wide hips and a narrow torso.

Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

thanks for the info, Sally...
        good to know firm mattresses may no longer
        be recommended exclusively....i had a firm mattress years
        ago and never got a good night's sleep on it....
        i think it is important to have something you are
        comfortable on....

jess...& Sparky
        (puppy prefers our softer mattress, too)...

Comment

Memory Foam comes in different densities

Before you go to a store to look or buy, get an education on memory foam densities. Even if you do a memory foam topper search on Ebay, most will provide an elementary education on the densities and what sort of weight they support. I am light, so I got a 3.0 density.

Something to ponder....
          Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
          Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
          Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
          Dr. Charles Edwards, II
          The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
          Before and after xrays:
          http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
            Hi Mary,

I would also recommend overstock.com for a foam topper. I got a 2" king foam topper there for about $50-60 (even had free or cheap shipping), and at Bed Bath and Beyond it would have been closer to $200. I was short on cash too, but figured even if it didn't last forever I could get two replacements for the original price of one at Bed Bath and Beyond. So far it is just fine.
            Overstock.com is where we got a great 3" queen & 3'' king mem foam topper for maybe $67 each + 2.95 shipping. The king we cut down for the long ride home from hospital & the first followup; we use the remainder on a daybed.
            Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
            Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
            Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
            Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
            photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Originally posted by djkinkead View Post
              Before you go to a store to look or buy, get an education on memory foam densities. Even if you do a memory foam topper search on Ebay, most will provide an elementary education on the densities and what sort of weight they support. I am light, so I got a 3.0 density.

Something to ponder....
              This probably explains why I find my Wal-Mart memory foam mattress to be a little hard. It's okay with the egg crate topper, but really, I don't think they even make a bed as soft as I would like. LOL
              Be happy!
              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
              but we are alive today!

Comment

I still think my water bed is up there with the most comfortable. I have the more stable mattress type and it is wonderful. When I had my back done it was said that we had to sleep on really hard beds, so while I had to wear my brace after the operation my grandfather put a door under my mattress and with the brace on that was brilliant. Then after I got married I could not sleep on a firm mattress any more so I got the first of my water beds and I could not go back now. I am alone though and have been for a long time so I only have myself and Jess, yes, Spike to please (everyone else he is my dog).

Lorraine
                Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
                Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

hey Lorraine, sometimes Sparky will sleep on the floor,
                  other times he likes his own pillow on our bed, even though
                  he has 3 doggie beds of his own...
                  he is a funny boy, as i am sure Spike is as well....
                  wish i could sleep as easily as puppies can!

jess

Comment

Your Sparky is as spoilt as my Spike eh!! I have read the your curve is now 77, I am sorry Jess no wonder you are not sleeping too well,
                    You may have to start thinking about surgery honey even though I know you don't want it, but Jess you are getting to the stage where you may not have a choice. xx Really sorry'

Lorraine, Cuddles for Sparky.
                    Last edited by Lorraine 1966; 06-14-2012, 07:45 PM. Reason: spelt Sparky incorrectly and he would not like that.
                    Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
                    Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

writing you PM, Lorraine...
                      nope...70 degrees, actually....

jess

Comment

Originally posted by mdtaffet View Post
                        I'm planning initially to try a mattress topper on my current mattress to see if it will help.
                        So I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond on my way home from an appointment on Wednesday afternoon. I bought two different memory foam mattress toppers. I bought a Temperpedic 3" Deluxe Quilted Memory Foam topper (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...121630&RN=690&) and a Sheex Theragel Memory Foam topper (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...202560&RN=690&). So far I've only tried the Temperpedic; I put it on top of my bed rather than under my sheet just to lie on it and see what it felt like. I was surprised to learn that my back actually hurt MORE with it on my bed than not. While it was OK if I was perfectly still in one position -- as long as that position was comfortable, I found it difficult to logroll from side to back to other side and back the way I do most nights. And I found it VERY difficult to readjust my position while on my back -- i.e. to move myself closer to the center of the mattress like I usually try to do (I have a twin bed). I usually readjust my position by pushing up on my elbows and hands and moving or sometimes slightly lifting my butt to readjust. The part about lifting my butt is slightly uncomfortable in any case, but on the mattress topper it was actually painful. I don't know why, because presumably that is something I should be able to do. Or at least the physical therapist once asked me to do a bridge, until she realized just how difficult that was for me.

I was also much more aware of the hardware in my lower spine with the mattress topper on there.

I haven't yet tried the Sheex topper, mostly because I realized that you have to put its cover on it before you can even try it out. I expect I'll be returning both items sometime within the next week -- though my son thinks he might be able to use one.

I can now see the utility of a Sleep number bed, where you can make the surface firm for logrolling and readjusting position, yet you can still go softer once you're already in position. I think that has real merit.

But unfortunately, I won't be allowed to get a Sleep number bed; my husband says the bedroom is too small to put a Twin XL in there. He would only allow me to do that if I first cleaned out an entire corner of the room and got rid of a desk that's stuffed back in that corner. And he thinks I'd be absolutely bonkers to spend that much on a bed; he feels that Sleep number is a "gimmick".

So it looks like once I have the money to do so, I'll have to find a different solution other than a Sleep number bed (I won't be able to clean out the bedroom anytime in the near future).

My other thought is to go the other direction and try a much thinner mattress topper -- something that would provide a bit more softness without providing so much logrolling resistance.

-- Mary
                        -- Mary D. Taffet
                        Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
                        Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Comment

Working...
                        X