X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"i believe scoliosis is a mind body soul issue"
    i did not write that...
    and i do not believe it...

i have no anger that i have scoliosis...i never did...
    i do not question "why me?" i never did...
    just as easy for me to say "why not me?" so i have not had a
    problem with anger about this condition in my body...
    nor do i have a frustration problem with it...
    i am at peace...

i absolutely read every word of what was written at the start of this
    thread...there is a good reason why Linda suggested this not be
    written on this forum...
    and the science that folks like to talk about on this forum just went
    right out the window with this thread...

jess
    Last edited by jrnyc; 05-29-2012, 08:59 PM.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYCamVx4fSQ

There is a movie....and this trailer is a start....I have not read her book or seen the movie. Can you heal your life? Or can you heal your mind? Helpful material....

I was mad when I was first diagnosed...mad at my GP back when I was 10, bla, bla, bla, and realized that it was an unnecessary emotion. I realized when I was 17 that I had to learn to deal with the emotions of scoliosis and I did....the whole package, all of it. I couldn’t worry myself to death, I would worry just a tad, try to maintain, and get regular x-rays. Worrying about surgery can be heavy, but now that that’s over, I realized that the stress wasn’t worth it. Its easier once you have been there.

I learned a lot from many people, the most unfortunate. My father, who died of ALS, and reading “Tuesdays with Morrie”. A book about a professor who died of ALS....I’m no stranger to pain. I guess I just knew many people that were way worse off than me. Scoliosis isn’t that bad, really.

FDR was mad, very mad....the movie “Warm Springs” is a good movie, it shows how he sunk way down low, and built himself back up, and restored confidence in the United States during the depression. They now say it wasn’t Polio, but Guillain-Barre syndrome. He was elected President 3 times, and he couldn’t walk. He was probably our best President. I give him 1st place.

“The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself”. FDR

We should have a movie review thread!
      Titaniumebert
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
        Linda, this is an adult part of the forum, no?

And jump in. The water is fine!
        I moved the thread. It was originally in the kid's forum.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
          i am going to call the scoli surgeons and tell them to shut down
          shop...

jess
          What are you smoking, Jess?
          Susan
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I will sign out of this discussion with this email. I thought, having read the initial email, that somehow, some of this might be related to mind-body connection literature in healing and pain control, a well respected evidence based approach in Pain Management. Seems that we are not going there, so goodbye and good luck in your discussions.
            Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
              I moved the thread. It was originally in the kid's forum.
              Oh okay. I usually just look at the list of new posts and not where they are posted though I try to remember the admonition about not posting in the kid's section.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
                I will sign out of this discussion with this email. I thought, having read the initial email, that somehow, some of this might be related to mind-body connection literature in healing and pain control, a well respected evidence based approach in Pain Management. Seems that we are not going there, so goodbye and good luck in your discussions.
                Susan
                The mind-brain-body connection is part of science and therefore real. Placebo is part of science and therefore real.

Unfortunately, folks continue to jump the tracks of reality in this issue and take it into magic territory. Being emotionally scarred by having scoliosis is a real reason. But it isn't an excuse for an intellectually honest person.
                Last edited by Pooka1; 05-30-2012, 12:28 PM.
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
                  What are you smoking, Jess?
                  Susan
                  I agree with Jess. If we can heal our selves, what do we need surgeons for?
                  Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Hi all,

I agree Jess & Melissa.

I don't believe anyone does anything to bring on scoliosis and nobody certainly asks for it! I don't believe we can heal ourselves, as I once said to a yoga instructor who thought she could correct my top curve that has now progressed to 104 degrees, if a titanium rod cannot stop my spine curving you and no amount of yoga is going to! That's not to say it might not help some with their pain but it didn't help me.
                    I also don't think its fair telling anyone especially children that with a positive mind and soul you can heal yourself, maybe positivity helps heal in the sense that you learn to live with scoliosis but it will not heal it.

Whilst you have to get your mind set right after being told you have scoliosis, get over any anger or upset then use your mind to deal with what may come e.g. surgery and learn how to deal with any pain the best we can but all of this I put down to PMA Positive Mental Attitude.

What's so wrong with having scoliosis I have family and friends and a loving, caring and supportive boyfriend, a lovely home and a happy job. Apart from my pain and having to make a difficult decision regarding further surgery I am happy and can cope with what's happening to my spine.

After all, as Ed says having scoliosis isn't the worst thing, we can always think of someone that is more disfortunate and/or more disabled than ourselves.

I say be happy with what we were given, keep our chins up and soldier on with a PMA.

Jenna
                    27 yr old Female.
                    Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
                    Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
                    Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

what am I smoking?...
                      it was a joke...
                      i will let others decide who is the one smoking anything

and thanks for the positive and smart opinions, guys...
                      Jenna...so well said!
                      i have no problem with spirituality....
                      but i do not believe patients can "heal themselves" of almost
                      anything...that is, in my opinion, insulting to patients with awful diseases,
                      like cancer or leukemia...are we to believe they prefer being sick?

jess
                      Last edited by jrnyc; 05-30-2012, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by YB1125 View Post
                        It is not about spirituality, it’s about becoming AWARE of yourself, those are two different things.
                        I am not asking anyone to become spiritual, it’s not about that, I am only asking to open your awareness to what is going on within you, which affects what happening around you. People who are spiritual are not necessarily are aware people. Please note the differences and listen to my words with your mind, not ears, be aware of what I am trying to accomplish here so you don’t keep busy with how you are going to attack this next. Are you really listening to my words?
                        For myself, I'm not attacking. I think coming to peace with or accepting that we have a problem is important in dealing with it and often takes the "scare" out of the pain aspect of this disease.

We were born to live this life with scoliosis for a reason, ‘something’ needs healing, to be worked on, there is an underline cause to the problem.
                        I have to heartily disagree with you here. No one is born to live a life with scoliosis. That is the blaming the patient part Jess was talking about. Something either went wrong with our DNA or we have another cause for the scoliosis. It is NOT "given" to us as a learning tool so that we can address problems that need healing.

I believe we all have a lot of work to do, scoliosis or not, everyone have problems, big or small, we were born for a reason.
                        We all know, or should know where babies come from by now. That is why we were born. This is the spiritistic part of what you are saying. Notice I didn't say spiritual.

The Massage Therapist, who put my vertebrates into place, did it with his hands, not with his mind lol. The fact he was also a healer helped because he was able to connect to the flow of my body so it causes no harm to my spine, no magic there. When you eat with awareness you eat only what your body really needs, same way a massage therapist that his mind is a bit more aware can treat you more gently. My spine was straight for as many vertebrates as 2 human hands can put into place. Main thing was, my hip moved into place, my whole body shifted, like a surgeon can do on the surgery table, same exact twist of the vertebrates, just without opening the back.It was the beginning of the healing (I didn’t know it was at the time) because I became aware of how a healthy body should feel. At first I couldn’t handle it with my ego driven mind, so first came anger. I even unintentionally wrecked my car that year.
                        A good massage therapist WILL know how to work with the human body, agreed. However, if you really believe what you are saying in what I put in bold, then there would be no need for surgeons. Your back was NOT manipulated the same way a surgeon would have done it. I guarantee it. Have you seen a scoliosis surgery video? How do you know that your spine was straight? I think he may have put you into a state of relaxation that eased your pain, but there is NO WAY that a spine can be straightened via massage therapy. If that were true, that's where ALL scoliosis patients would go for treatment. Who would choose major surgery over massages if they had the same effect?

In this present moment, is it wrong to search for peace? understanding? We need to make peace with our disease, the same way we make peace with an enemy. If we don’t make peace with it, let the frustration and anger, guilt, shame all go way, it will take over us, control us and mostly unable us from the ability to bring forth good things into our lives, in all areas. I have seen it happening to me.
                        I agree totally. Scoliosis is an enemy that we live with. Making peace or accepting that we have the condition helps us not to obsess over it. Then we are in a better place to deal with it. If we obsess about it, it stunts the other areas of our lives where we could find pleasure and happiness.

Therapy can be done with yourself, with a book, a deep conversation with someone understanding or an outside help with someone who is good at getting to the bottom of a problem. My girlfriend’s boyfriend was a perfect unplanned fit, he was just helping me figure things out on my own, he was only leading me, I did the talking. I got to the underline of my problem on my own. He loves to help, his famous sentence is “Let’s get clear”. I won’t say he is a spiritual person, I would say he is an aware individual.
                        I put in bold the statement that concerns me most about these "healers". Yes, they make you think you did all the talking while they lead you in the direction that they want you to go. Then you keep coming back, thinking you are getting a "healing" all the while they are bringing in the money. You still have scoliosis. You didn't get healed from that. You can go to a therapist to get the kind of healing you talk about. The only thing they can do is to teach you better coping mechanisms for your pain or anxiety related to your scoliosis.

I want to hear from other members who found a way to let go, to find peace and understanding with their Scoliosis, that would be wonderful to hear any enlightening stories of self-healing.
                        I'm assuming that the self-healing you are talking about is not physical healing, but mental, emotional, spiritual, etc... I'm not quite sure you are going to have many people here talk about very personal issues like that. From what I've read here, most people refer to their lives with scoliosis as their "journey" with the disease. They tell their stories of how they manage, cope, and treat this disease. I can't say that I would ever call this self-healing. The term in and of itself is very misleading. We can not heal our own scoliosis. We can accept the fact that we or our loved ones have it, but the doctor's can't even "heal" us. If we have surgery, we are left with a fusion mass for a spine. It saves lives and improves the quality of many people's lives, but it's a long way from perfect. I believe that you are touching on areas where beliefs are involved. Not everyone shares these beliefs, so you will probably only get positive feedback from those that do. I'm not at all trying to attack or argue. You just have a set of beliefs that are not shared by all, myself included. Best wishes on your journey through this process.
                        Last edited by rohrer01; 05-30-2012, 03:57 PM.
                        Be happy!
                        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                        but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                          Please do not post stuff like this in the kid's forum. Actually, I recommend that it not be posted at all, as all it's going to do is start a war. Taking every bit of determination I have not to join the club.
                          It's hard not to be baited, Linda. I'm proud of you. You have more self-control than I do. So far what I've read seems friendly enough. I haven't finished reading the thread, though.

No coldhearted arguments detected after reading through the thread.
                          Last edited by rohrer01; 05-30-2012, 04:56 PM. Reason: additional thought
                          Be happy!
                          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                          but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                          X