Great book to read!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great book to read!

I was looking around for books for my Kindle. I found this one about a person's experience thru a surgery. I downloaded a chapter to preview and ended up buying the electronic book. (I hate to read on the Kindle, I am old fashion and prefer paper books) And, they really should be much cheaper as there is no printing cost etc. Oh Well!!

Back to Life: A Journey of Transformation through Back Surgery
    Editorial Reviews Book Description by Pamela Douglas
    "Close-up and personal, this book brings readers into the day-to-day, even minute-by-minute, experience of preparing for, undergoing, and recovering from life-threatening spine surgery. Written in the form of a journal, the brief entries offer both the immediacy of a realistic drama and a transcendent peek into the transformational power that this surgery represented for the writer. "

It is a great summary in one place. A great book for beginners and re-confirms what everyone says in this forum.

Gardenia
    Gardenia
    Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
    pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
    Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
    T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

A much better interesting book

"The Scoliosis Sourcebook (Sourcebooks)
    The term scoliosis covers many medical conditions, which Neuwirth and Osborn explore in a practical and lucid manner. They say the general outlook is optimistic, for less than 10 percent of those diagnosed with scoliosis will need treatment. The progression of the lateral spinal curvature that defines the condition is highly individualistic, and the effects on one person may bear no relation to how the disease affects another. There is no typical progression of any type of scoliosis. Widespread screening of youngsters in schools is a major diagnostic procedure preceding detailed medical examination and possible treatment. Neuwirth and Osborn devote considerable space to describing the tests that confirm scoliosis; clearly discuss medical and surgical treatments, including braces and operations; and limn a patient's probable stay in the hospital and the steps to recovery. Some of the test descriptions are a bit technical, but on the whole, this is a valuable popular book on its subject.
    Review: This book will serve as a wonderful resource for patients who suffer from scoliosis and its inherent problems. -- Janet T. Sacks, President, Scoliosis Association, Inc.
    Product Description: Scoliosis is a deforming and crippling disease of the spine that afflicts people of all ages. Left untreated, it can lead to a lifetime of pain and disability. The Scoliosis Sourcebook is a complete guide to understanding this condition that emphasizes the importance of early diagnosis and treatment, including braces and surgery.
    About the Author; Michael Neuwirth, M.D., is chief of spine services at the Hospital for Joint Disease in New York City.
    Kevin Osborn is the coauthor of Heart Disease: Reducing Your Risk."

Very easy reading and have learned a few new things. Stayed up until 4am to read and had to drag my body out of bed to go to a doctor's apptmt.

Love having a kindle and downloading vs. waiting to get a copy or finding a copy. I live in a border-town with a library that is not larger than my house garage, no bookstores, etc. There is a Mall with all the big stores, a Marshall's, Ross, Walmart etc so I am happy!
    Gardenia
    Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
    pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
    Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
    T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by gardenia View Post
      "The Scoliosis Sourcebook (Sourcebooks)
      The term scoliosis covers many medical conditions, which Neuwirth and Osborn explore in a practical and lucid manner. They say the general outlook is optimistic, for less than 10 percent of those diagnosed with scoliosis will need treatment. The progression of the lateral spinal curvature that defines the condition is highly individualistic, and the effects on one person may bear no relation to how the disease affects another. There is no typical progression of any type of scoliosis. Widespread screening of youngsters in schools is a major diagnostic procedure preceding detailed medical examination and possible treatment. Neuwirth and Osborn devote considerable space to describing the tests that confirm scoliosis; clearly discuss medical and surgical treatments, including braces and operations; and limn a patient's probable stay in the hospital and the steps to recovery. Some of the test descriptions are a bit technical, but on the whole, this is a valuable popular book on its subject.
      Review: This book will serve as a wonderful resource for patients who suffer from scoliosis and its inherent problems. -- Janet T. Sacks, President, Scoliosis Association, Inc.
      Product Description: Scoliosis is a deforming and crippling disease of the spine that afflicts people of all ages. Left untreated, it can lead to a lifetime of pain and disability. The Scoliosis Sourcebook is a complete guide to understanding this condition that emphasizes the importance of early diagnosis and treatment, including braces and surgery.
      About the Author; Michael Neuwirth, M.D., is chief of spine services at the Hospital for Joint Disease in New York City.
      Kevin Osborn is the coauthor of Heart Disease: Reducing Your Risk."

Very easy reading and have learned a few new things. Stayed up until 4am to read and had to drag my body out of bed to go to a doctor's apptmt.

Love having a kindle and downloading vs. waiting to get a copy or finding a copy. I live in a border-town with a library that is not larger than my house garage, no bookstores, etc. There is a Mall with all the big stores, a Marshall's, Ross, Walmart etc so I am happy!
      Yes is the best book to read before surgery
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Working...
      X