Recovery after spinal fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cat and small dogs - within the US

Many airlines allow small animals $75 each way that would fit under the seat. I was told that middle seat is the largest space for under seat spaces. A friend of mine moved from San francisco to No. Carolina a couple of months ago. They pay extra with United for a pet section under the cargo but apparently air controlled and it is not among suitcases. The animals got there happy.

Poor cat will be upset not seeing me for 2-3 months as I will stay in St Louis but I am concerned the trauma of travelling.
    But, he will provide me the company I need.

He is coming...
    Gardenia
    Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
    pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
    Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
    T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

There really is no trauma with traveling. He will be with you the entire time. Go talk to your vet about it and he will give you a pill that will will make him very sleepy .Will you be by yourself when traveling? The cost last year was $125 per pet flying.
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

My cat travelling

My husband will be with me both ways on the airplane. I can hardly walk by myself much less carry my 16lb black 8yr old cat. I will ask my vet here in Mexico. Do we have to have a good health certificate issued by a US Vet when travelling in the US?

What about water and food? Change of pads in case of accidents? I also read that we cannot take him out at all on the plane nor in the airport.

Thanks for responding, everyone.
        Gardenia
        Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
        pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
        Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
        T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by gardenia View Post
          My husband will be with me both ways on the airplane. I can hardly walk by myself much less carry my 16lb black 8yr old cat. I will ask my vet here in Mexico. Do we have to have a good health certificate issued by a US Vet when travelling in the US?

What about water and food? Change of pads in case of accidents? I also read that we cannot take him out at all on the plane nor in the airport.

Thanks for responding, everyone.
          I would check with the airline about the health certificate .That is a good question. Also, make your airline reservation via the phone so you can make a reservation for the cat at the same time. Depending on what airline you are using, they have a maximum number of pets allowed on each flight. As for food and water, neither of my cats wanted anything to eat or drink. All they did was sleep. They ,also, did not soil the pad in the carrier either. However, when they get to the destination and were let out, they wanted the litter box and food.
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Originally posted by gardenia View Post
            Thanks Jenna and all the responses. The place is paradise but I cannot live in a secluded place at 62 without a purpose. I believe that there was a reason for everything that happens in life. I should have been less against having a rod many years ago.

I read that many having had the surgery end up walking miles per day. In my condition the longest I walk is at a mall because I get distracted with things and ignore the walk. Never did formal exercise because each time I go to pt or class, I would end up with days in bed due to pain. So now, I am worried about the pre-op being fit, I am as fit as I can be. I went into our coutyard pool last week to swim and to float and play around. 3 days later my hips were in such excruciating pain that I could not stand nor lay down for 2 days.

I am over thinking the future and really afraid of the first 3 months. After the hospital, my husband and I will be staying with our 23 year old youngest daughter who is a grad student in WashU in medical research. Last year, we bought her a 2/2 condo for her while doing her PhD. Problems #1 is that it is on the third floor.

#2 is my cat follows me everywhere who sleeps or nap nearby me within a foot . Daughter#1 is no problem as is doing her PhD in Columbia (2 hrs away). We are all from California. My cat resides in Mexico and hates being transported in the car for 2 hours to our El Centro (California border town) rented apt where my husband must work on US Soil. I am planning to stay in St Louis for minimum of 2 months maybe up to 4. My husband will be we me the first month then back to take me home. I want my cat but it requires a 2 hr drive and 3 airplanes to reach St Louis. He is an indoor cat and seldom used the carrier much less being in an airplane. He will be extremely vocal.

Again, I write a lot and I apologize hopefully it will entertain you even though I am looking for moral & emotional support that might not be here for something that is only in my worrying mind.
            :-) I always get distracted too, usually buying shoes.

Don't worry about your post, your worries and concerns I think are completely normal but as Jennifer says, this will be such a short time in your life and slowly but surely you will sort everything out ready for your recovery.
            I think staying with your daughter sounds like a good plan. It might take you a while to walk up to the 3rd floor to her place but i'm sure that to start with just walking around her home will be enough for you, then maybe trying the stairs then eventually outstide for a walk. Just one step at a time and you'll be fine :-)
            Don't know about cats, I didn't know they could fly with you either but hopefully you will find a way to get him/her there with you comfortably.

Jenna
            27 yr old Female.
            Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
            Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
            Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

Working...
            X