Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assistance after surgery when you leave hospital

Hi all,

My surgeon has said that he suspects I will be in hospital for 2 wks then I will be allowed home. I know from previous surgery that I will need help making my meals, getting washed, dressed and up and down the stairs to the toilet and to bed but I'm not sure if I'll need my boyfriend or mum at home with me all day everyday.

I feel a bit guilty that my mum and boyfriend as saving all their annual leave from work so that they can be at the hospital with me most of the time then assist me at home.

My mum is wanting to take time off work to be at my house everyday. Is this necessary? I was thinking after the first week at home my mum and boyfriend could work half days then assist me at lunch time so that I can get washed, dressed and eat.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    27 yr old Female.
    Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
    Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
    Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Hi Jenna...

I had A/P revision surgery in January 2011, and was in the hospital 5 days. I stayed with a friend for a few days, but then went home by myself. I did not need help in terms of making meals (I wasn't eating much anyway), or taking care of myself. I think you may find that you're much less disabled than you were the first time.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
      Hi Jenna...

I had A/P revision surgery in January 2011, and was in the hospital 5 days. I stayed with a friend for a few days, but then went home by myself. I did not need help in terms of making meals (I wasn't eating much anyway), or taking care of myself. I think you may find that you're much less disabled than you were the first time.

Regards,
      Linda
      Hi Linda,

That's great new thanks! I don't want to have to rely on my family that much if I can help it.
      How are you getting on 16 mths after surgery, is there things you can't do for yourself or are you more or less back to how you were before your surgery? Are you glad you had the surgery?

Jenna
      27 yr old Female.
      Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.

Comment

Hi...

I can do pretty much anything. I do have some difficulty picking up small things off the floor (although it's easy to do this if there's a grabber handy), and putting on socks without a device. Both of these issues have to do with being fused to the sacrum. I am pain free, however, so feel the surgery was 100% successful.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
          Hi...

I can do pretty much anything. I do have some difficulty picking up small things off the floor (although it's easy to do this if there's a grabber handy), and putting on socks without a device. Both of these issues have to do with being fused to the sacrum. I am pain free, however, so feel the surgery was 100% successful.

Regards,
          Linda
          Hi Linda

You might find the further post surgery you get these tasks become easier but if not I think to be pain free and so straight is worth it! So nice to hear you feel the surgery was 100% successful, definately the right decision then. I'm sure I will feel the same, I have had so much pain and discomfort for so many years and all i've wanted is to be straight and pain free. I'm only little (5foot 1 since my curves got worse) and love high shoes but since my curves got so bad so quick they really don't love me. Hopefully after surgery i'll be straight, pain free, taller and my high shoes will love me again :-)
          27 yr old Female.

Comment

Working...
          X