Velcro is not working on this brace ARGH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Velcro is not working on this brace ARGH

I've made 4 trips to the orthodist and now am having to go AGAIN. The velcro is not holding on the top straps of her brace. All she has to do is move a little and it comes undone. I hardly see how it will hold anything in her spine from moving. And we've had this brace only since February. The loop velcro is simply shredded from use.

Is this a common problem? Should I ask for something different (a snap or buckle)? She is wearing this brace faithfully and as prescribed but it seems to be literally falling apart.

Originally posted by cello_mom View Post
    I've made 4 trips to the orthodist and now am having to go AGAIN. The velcro is not holding on the top straps of her brace. All she has to do is move a little and it comes undone. I hardly see how it will hold anything in her spine from moving. And we've had this brace only since February. The loop velcro is simply shredded from use.

Is this a common problem? Should I ask for something different (a snap or buckle)? She is wearing this brace faithfully and as prescribed but it seems to be literally falling apart.
    I have no idea but with the cost of braces, they better be using the best quality velcro out there. It sounds like maybe someone ordered the wrong kind??? My kid wore her brace every day for a year and the velcro is fine.

Good luck.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

OMG tell me about it. $1900 and the Velcro doesn't work right. We examined it and the part where the hook attaches to the loop Velcro is too short. Since she has been wearing the brace we've been able to tighten it more and more (which is good) but now the strap is too long and doesn't attached properly. If she does not have it on very very tight she complains of back and shoulder pain. I am actually afraid of what we'll see in a month in her unbraced x ray.

Comment

Hi cello mom,

How frustrating! They should be able to replace the velcro entirely, it sounds like it needs it.

Until then, if the loop part has gotten very fuzzy and won't hold, you can shave off some of the fuzzy part either by trimming it off with scissors (hold parallel to the velcro), or with a disposable razor. This will squeeze the last little bit of life out of the velcro.

Good luck,
        Gayle, age 50
        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
          I have no idea but with the cost of braces, they better be using the best quality velcro out there. It sounds like maybe someone ordered the wrong kind??? My kid wore her brace every day for a year and the velcro is fine.
          I agree, something does not sound right. David has had braces for over a year and the velcro never was a problem. I hope you can get this resolved quickly - it sounds like they need to replace the velcro - perhaps with another kind, as Sharon mentioned. Good luck!
          mariaf305@yahoo.com
          Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
          Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

When we go in this Wednesday I am asking for new straps. I added super sticky Velcro to the brace itself (I used loop, not hook since the straps were hook Velcro) and this worked very very well to secure the ends of the straps.

Comment

nice, new leather Velcro straps. Very posh!

Comment

Working...
              X