Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions for being able to feed the dog easily while hubby out of town?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great idea, Steph....

Sparky gives you a big "woof"

jess

Comment

If the dog is hungry enough, he will get up on the counter for you. (smiley face) Stop feeding him, it wont take long.

Adult Great Danes are usually fed with their bowl’s elevated....check out feeding stand
      http://www.all-about-great-danes.com...og-feeder.html

Squats are a necessary thing to learn...Sally had posted about this a while back, one hand on the kitchen counter, and one hand on the knee. Drop down onto one knee. Just keep the spine erect.....

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

people who are squatting or bending is if your knees still work, and are not destroyed....
        like with meniscus problems, tears in parts of knees, cysts, arthritis,...etc

i thought the suggestion about feeding him from where you are sitting, at chair level, might
        be enough for a few days...like feeding him by hand, like when he was a puppy...

jess...and Sparky, who says WOOF and to tell you that anywhere there is food, he will eat it

Comment

My x-wife cooks for her dogs and always has....
          http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/02/business/02pets.html

Jess, Is that Sparky there in that photo? lol

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

oh, Ed, they are both so cute...
            Sparky is cuter.....and that is fact, not opinion....
            and sweet as can be.....
            not that i am wrapped around his little paws or anything.....

woof

Comment

I had thought about the feeding stand, but didn't suggest because they are expensive and she is just trying to get by for a few days.

Ed, I want to see her Golden up on the kitchen counter!

Squatting makes nearly everything possible and can be used so many ways. But, as Jess pointed out, you run risks with your knees doing a lot of squatting, and if your knees are already blown out it isn't an option at all.
              Stephanie, age 56
              Diagnosed age 8
              Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
              Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
              Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
              Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
              Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
              Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

I guess I got busy earlier and didn't see all these replies until just now. Thanks for all the suggestions! Yes, lots of dog lovers here.

We've come up with a solution. My husband will put the food into ziploc baggies for each meal before he leaves, which he would have done for the kennel anyway if Fonzie were still going there. That won't help for the times when Fonzie forgets that he's already eaten and asks for more (we keep asking him for a receipt, but he's never obliged...), but my son will be around when he's not working, so can probably help with that if needed.

And then to get the food into the dog bowl from the ziploc baggy, I will move the kitchen chair over to his bowl and pour the food in while sitting down; we've already tried this and it works.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions!

-- Mary

[who has her first post-op dentist appointment bright and early tomorrow morning -- hoping it will go well, but not sure (1) how well I'll be able to get into the chair with my legs up in front of me, (2) whether it will get painful when the chair gets tilted back so far -- I find the zero-gravity position in my recliner to be uncomfortable, and (3) if I'll be able to pull myself up enough to rinse/spit when asked to do so -- I may have to ask them for assistance....]
                -- Mary D. Taffet
                Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
                Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Comment

Originally posted by Mojo's Mom View Post
                  Why not just keep the food (just what you will need for the five days)and the bowl on the kitchen counter and sit down and hold it for him while he eats? That seems like the simplest thing to me.

It did occur to me that you might have a bowl like what you have...mine are straight sided.
                  Would you believe me if I told you that the kitchen counter isn't big enough to hold his dog bowl in a place that would be out of the way of other activities? Well, it's true..... (old house, old kitchen....)

-- Thanks,
                  Mary
                  -- Mary D. Taffet
                  Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
                  Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post

Squats are a necessary thing to learn...Sally had posted about this a while back, one hand on the kitchen counter, and one hand on the knee. Drop down onto one knee. Just keep the spine erect.....

Ed
                    Ed, I'm sure they are. The problem is, I was never able to do that even before the surgery. Maybe when I was a little girl, but certainly not since I was a teenager. I sort of have to go on all fours to get down to/back up from floor level. If I ever had that kind of flexibility, it's been long gone for decades.

Mini squats are one part of my daily exercise routine, but with those both hands are on the sink, and I don't go down past my knees.

I do hope to get stronger now that I'm doing outpatient physical therapy, but I don't know if that will also help flexibility or not.

-- Thanks,
                    Mary
                    -- Mary D. Taffet

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                      My x-wife cooks for her dogs and always has....
                      My mom used to scramble eggs for my sister's pet dog; that was about 33 years ago...
                      -- Mary D. Taffet

Comment

Originally posted by Mojo's Mom View Post

Squatting makes nearly everything possible and can be used so many ways. But, as Jess pointed out, you run risks with your knees doing a lot of squatting, and if your knees are already blown out it isn't an option at all.
                        I do have some problems with my knees, but only since the surgery.

Well, actually, that's not exactly true. In July 2007, I had a hard fall on the kitchen floor, landed on my left knee, and bruised the bone and the patella tendon; I had to have physical therapy for it, and the pain lasted for at least 3 years. The pain from that may still be there, but it's been so long since I've had weight on my knees on a hard surface that I don't know for sure.
                        -- Mary D. Taffet

Comment

hey Mary, glad you solved the dog feeding problem...

at the dentist, they have a way of rinse/spit now where the dentist shoots the water into your mouth, then
                          you swish the water around and you spit into a suction tube...the tube sucks the water right out of your
                          mouth, like a vacuum....
                          i am having extensive dental implants put in, so i am used to that stuff by now...

good luck at the dentist tomorrow....i think you will do fine....

jess...& Sparky

Comment

I was feeding my guys this morning, got the food mixed up (I use a combination of wet and dry food), got one bowl in the jaws of the grabber, started walking towards where the dogs eat....and the bowl dropped out of the grabber. It landed upside down, of course.

Libby did a very thorough job of cleaning up, though!

Mary, glad you have a plan that works for you.
                            Stephanie, age 56
                            Diagnosed age 8
                            Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
                            Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
                            Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
                            Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
                            Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
                            Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post

at the dentist, they have a way of rinse/spit now where the dentist shoots the water into your mouth, then
                              you swish the water around and you spit into a suction tube...the tube sucks the water right out of your
                              mouth, like a vacuum....
                              i am having extensive dental implants put in, so i am used to that stuff by now...

good luck at the dentist tomorrow....i think you will do fine....
                              They didn't do this with me; instead, the hygienist used a suction tube while polishing, and then the one and only time I was asked to rinse/spit was at the end of the entire cleaning, and I had brought the emesis basin I had been using when I was still brushing my teeth at the kitchen table. I spit into that little pink basin I had brought with me rather than their little chair-side mini-sink.

Of course, both the hygienist and the dentist initially assumed I was sick to my stomach....and were both glad to learn that wasn't the case.

-- Mary
                              -- Mary D. Taffet

Comment

Working...
                              X