Thread: Any reference for spinal surgery at Miami Children Hospital with John Asghar MD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Any reference for spinal surgery at Miami Children Hospital with John Asghar MD

Hello, we rencently moved to US from México and are living in Florida. Here we have two opinions for surgery treatment for the scolisis of our doughter. The one preferred for us is at Miami Children Hospital in Miami with John Asghar and Harry Sufflebarger. Please we appretiate any reference of this doctors and Hospital. The other opinion was in Tampa Shriner Hospital with doctor Kronen.

Best luck to everyone
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hola Carlos!

Welcome!

You have a beautiful family!

Is that a recent picture? I am wondering how old your daughter is. Does she have juvenile or adolescent scoliosis? The surgical approaches are different as far as I can tell.

The surgeons you mention have been used by people on the forum and I hope those people comment on them.

Best regards,
    Sharon
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Hey Carlos,

What a beautiful family, indeed.

I know Dr. Asghar. He used to work at Shriners in Philadelphia and was/is very highly regarded by everyone there, including Dr. Betz, whom he trained under.

I know several families whose children had surgery with Dr. Asghar when he was in Philly and the reports were unanimous that he is a awesome, both as a surgeon and also on a personal level, the latter not being as important as one's surgical skills but it sure is nice when you can get both

Best of luck - your daughter. She would be in excellent hands with Dr. Asghar. I don't know his colleague, Dr. Shufflebarger from any personal experience but he also has an excellent reputation from what I have heard.
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Recommending Dr. Cronen on our experience w him

Hello Carlos - welcome to the forum & to the US. Beautiful family - your daughter looks so young! How old is she?
    As you can see in my signature, our 14 year old son just underwent scoliosis surgery with Dr. Cronen in Tampa (but at Tampa General Hosp) on January 3rd 2012. We had an incredibly wonderful experience with him, he is so very caring, knowledgeable, did his fellowship under Dr. Lenke, the foremost scoli surgeon. We cannot recommend him highly enough - our son is back to being so very active - hiking (5 mile hike on his 3-month anniversary from surgery!), playing around w his friends, drumming, piano, etc - and last night actually was playing basketball including running the court w his friends (we found out after, he's a little sore today but he had so much fun!). Every day I thank God for this miracle of our son's back being normal & without pain. Please private message me or email me with any questions!
    LeighAnn LSKOCH5@YAHOO.COM
    Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
    Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
    Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
    Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
    photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Thanks so much to everyone. I did start using this forum some years ago when we were living in Havana. My doughter Lia Gabriela is eleven years old. Her scoliosis is genetic due to hemivertebrae and has two failed surgeries in Cuba. I did read a lot of Doctor Beltz and his team at Philadelphia Shriner Hospital, so I was very glad when doctor Asghar told me he used to work with him. We were planing to travel to this Hospital at Phili but maybe we have a good choice here with doctor Asghar.
    The problem with Tampa Shriner Hospital is that there are not intensive care. We also had a great opinion of doctor Cronen. Also doctor Asghar at Miami Children Hospital told us that the surgery will be acompanied with a neurologist and she will be at intensive care. We were to much afraid of a neurological damage since is a complicated surgery becouse she has posterior fusion in her back.

God bless you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carlos,

I think the issue is who has done the most cases of revision surgery for congenital scoliosis. I understand the surgeons telling you that you need neuro on the case given two failed fusion surgeries.

It's possible Cronen or Ashgar have done many of these cases, perhaps as many as Betz in Philly, I don't know.

Do both surgeons you have seen have the same surgical plan? If they do then that might be the way to go. If they differ then maybe a third opinion from Betz would be in order.

I also think that with two failed surgeries, Lenke in St. Louis might be a good opinion. He takes only very complicated cases these days and you may be dealing with revision issues at this point as much or more than the hemivertebra. He does pediatric but not mostly so this may or may not be helpful.

Good luck.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alberto View Post
    Hello, we rencently moved to US from México and are living in Florida. Here we have two opinions for surgery treatment for the scolisis of our doughter. The one preferred for us is at Miami Children Hospital in Miami with John Asghar and Harry Sufflebarger. Please we appretiate any reference of this doctors and Hospital. The other opinion was in Tampa Shriner Hospital with doctor Kronen.

Best luck to everyone
    Hello Carlos,

I had spinal surgery last May with Dr. Nathan Lebwohl who is in Miami. Dr. Lebwohl is the Chief of Spinal Deformity for the University of Miami Medical Center and practices at Jackson Memorial Hospital. Dr. Lebwohl is an excellent surgeon and I am very pleased with my surgery and recovery process.

Dr. Shufflebarger was originally recommended to me but he does children so I was then referred to Dr. Lebwohl. You may want to see if Dr. Lebwohl also does children and get a second opinion if you haven't already. I believe in getting second and third opinions on surgeries of this magnitude.

Let me know if you have any other questions. You can email me at scoliosisinbrevard@gmail.com.

Marjorie

Quote Originally Posted by mbeckett View Post
    Hello Carlos,

I had spinal surgery last May with Dr. Nathan Lebwohl who is in Miami. Dr. Lebwohl is the Chief of Spinal Deformity for the University of Miami Medical Center and practices at Jackson Memorial Hospital. Dr. Lebwohl is an excellent surgeon and I am very pleased with my surgery and recovery process.

Dr. Shufflebarger was originally recommended to me but he does children so I was then referred to Dr. Lebwohl. You may want to see if Dr. Lebwohl also does children and get a second opinion if you haven't already. I believe in getting second and third opinions on surgeries of this magnitude.

Let me know if you have any other questions. You can email me at scoliosisinbrevard@gmail.com.

Marjorie

He was my second opinion. He's a nice man. He convinced my mom that surgery was necessary. If my surgeon wouldn't do my surgery then he woul have.
    Last edited by Kat3573; 05-21-2013 at 08:12 PM.
    "You never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have."~Bob Marley

“There is something beautiful about all scars of whatever nature. A scar means the hurt is over, the wound is closed and healed, done with.”~Harry Crews

3+ years post op
    Fused T4-L1
    Pre-op curve: 64*
    Now no more than 15*

Good luck with your daughters surgery on Friday! Let us know how it goes!
    Last edited by Kat3573; 05-21-2013 at 08:29 PM.
    "You never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have."~Bob Marley

“There is something beautiful about all scars of whatever nature. A scar means the hurt is over, the wound is closed and healed, done with.”~Harry Crews

3+ years post op
    Fused T4-L1
    Now no more than 15*

Good luck with the surgery! I'm sure she will be fine!

3+ years post op
    Fused T4-L1
    Now no more than 15*