Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can employers legally refuse to allow temporary light duty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great news Gayle. I'm sure you're glad to have that behind you!
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Great news!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Glad to hear that it has all worked out
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

congratulations, Gayle...good to know you were able to handle it without having to
          go to lawyerville...
          i hope work goes smoothly, and that you will be glad to be back...

jess....& Sparky

Comment

Awesome! What a relief! Back to work doing what you do best. Take care of yourself and don't overdo it. Be the model patient on body mechanics. Let's have coffee when you are in Portland. My treat to celebrate!

Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

You found an island of sanity! That's so great. :-)

Judging from the speed at which they changed course, I am thinking they were afraid if you got hurt you would sue them. The letter gave them the cover they needed.

And I bet your working group is glad that you are staying. :-)
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                Well Dr Hart's office pulled through and got my revised work release faxed to my employer this afternoon, written exactly as I had asked. Within an hour HR had called to say I was approved to return with the revised restrictions in place. Amazing! So I will be able to mainly sit at a computer all day, although I can easily move around when I need to and take walks between cases.

I am so relieved! I followed up with the suggestions here and on Susan's advice, spoke to someone from the ADA hotline, who gave me some very useful info that hopefully I will never need to use. I should be back at work Wednesday.
                I'm really happy for you. You needed some good news after all you've been through. Having surgery must have been a tough decision in the first place being that you are the primary source of income in your family. I'm so glad it all worked out and you can go back to work. Hopefully for good this time!

Hugs,
                Rohrer01
                Be happy!
                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                but we are alive today!

Comment

Thats great news!!! Good for you - and good for you for sticking it out and not giving up. Congrats
                  1993/1995: PSF w/ Harrington rods T3-L4
                  Jan. 24, 2012: ALIF of L4-L5, L5-S1 w/ cage spacer and BMP
                  Jan. 31, 2012: PLIF of L1-S1 w/ pelvic anchors
                  Scheduled Nov.15, 2012: Fusion T2-S1 w/ pelvic anchors to fix T12 fracture
                  http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ot/myback2.jpg - BEFORE
                  http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT2342x406.jpg - AFTER
                  http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT1410x229.jpg - AFTER
                  www.jerseyot.blogspot.com

Comment

Fantastic news!
                    Sally
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Good news Gayle,

Nice to be over the unnecessary stress.....like we really need these type’s of things happening.

Things always work themselves out-

Ed
                      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Gayle--
                        I'm so glad to hear this is taken care of! Can drive you nuts, can't it? Janet
                        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                          Well Dr Hart's office pulled through and got my revised work release faxed to my employer this afternoon, written exactly as I had asked. Within an hour HR had called to say I was approved to return with the revised restrictions in place. Amazing! So I will be able to mainly sit at a computer all day, although I can easily move around when I need to and take walks between cases.

I am so relieved! I followed up with the suggestions here and on Susan's advice, spoke to someone from the ADA hotline, who gave me some very useful info that hopefully I will never need to use. I should be back at work Wednesday.
                          Hi Gayle,

I am so sorry this happened to you. I just read this whole thread today and was hoping things worked out for you.

After all you have been through, that's the last thing you need.

I am very fortunate to have a super supportive employer who has worked with my restrictions since even before my surgery. When my first rod broke I had to stop lifting and they have just bent over backwards to accommodate me after my return to work. I do feel lucky because I do know that not all employers are like that. It sounds like your HR director needs ALOT of education and enlightenment. Pa-lease!!! Can't lift a pen after back surgery?????

Enjoy getting back to life again...and a new and improved back ;-)
                          May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I'm so glad it all worked out!
                            I lost my job of over 23 years because of "limitations". Same thing with the big honchos calling meetings with witnesses and the whole shebang. The strange thing is that I was able to completely perform my job WITHOUT accommodations because I had a crew that I could delegate the heavy lifting to. I was devastated. But it all worked out in the end. I have a job I love now, where I am appreciated. Granted, I only make about half of what I was before, but the absence of the high stress level is well worth the pay cut!!
                            Jenee'-52
                            Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
                            Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
                            I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                            9 hours
                            T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                            Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
                            Non-fusion
                            Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Originally posted by jeneemohler View Post
                              I'm so glad it all worked out!
                              I lost my job of over 23 years because of "limitations". Same thing with the big honchos calling meetings with witnesses and the whole shebang. The strange thing is that I was able to completely perform my job WITHOUT accommodations because I had a crew that I could delegate the heavy lifting to. I was devastated. But it all worked out in the end. I have a job I love now, where I am appreciated. Granted, I only make about half of what I was before, but the absence of the high stress level is well worth the pay cut!!
                              Wow Jenee, just clicked on your link to check our your pre and post pics (wasn't sure if you would see my post there as I'm new to all this so wanted to add it here). My curves are very similar to how yours were apart from my bottom curve is smaller and already has a harrington rod and my upper curve is bigger. My back in general and right shoulder very much look like yours did before your op. How are you getting on a yr post op? Are you finding your restricted in anyway?

Just wondering with pelvis fixation if you can tilt your pelvis forward or backwards and stick your bottom out (if that makes sense) strange I know but I'm trying to ask everything I can think of when it comes to me :-)

I'm so keeping my fingers crossed that I get just as good results.

Re work: I work in an office so am lucky that my job isn't too strenuous so hopefully I wont have the problems some people have but hopefully even if problems are incurred they can be resolved. Positive thinking all the way
                              27 yr old Female.
                              Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
                              Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
                              Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

Just wondering with pelvis fixation if you can tilt your pelvis forward or backwards and stick your bottom out (if that makes sense) strange I know but I'm trying to ask everything I can think of when it comes to me :-)

You tilt your pelvis forward and backward by using your hip joints. Hope this helps.
                                Sally
                                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                                X