Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can employers legally refuse to allow temporary light duty?

Great news Gayle. I'm sure you're glad to have that behind you!
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

Great news!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Glad to hear that it has all worked out
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

December 8, 2014 - Another Broken Rod Surgery

congratulations, Gayle...good to know you were able to handle it without having to
    go to lawyerville...
    i hope work goes smoothly, and that you will be glad to be back...

jess....& Sparky

Awesome! What a relief! Back to work doing what you do best. Take care of yourself and don't overdo it. Be the model patient on body mechanics. Let's have coffee when you are in Portland. My treat to celebrate!

Susan
    Adult Onset Degenerative Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Severe disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 in 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal surgery for Spinal Cord Injury at T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Revision Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone + prayer

You found an island of sanity! That's so great. :-)

Judging from the speed at which they changed course, I am thinking they were afraid if you got hurt you would sue them. The letter gave them the cover they needed.

And I bet your working group is glad that you are staying. :-)
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Quote Originally Posted by leahdragonfly View Post
    Well Dr Hart's office pulled through and got my revised work release faxed to my employer this afternoon, written exactly as I had asked. Within an hour HR had called to say I was approved to return with the revised restrictions in place. Amazing! So I will be able to mainly sit at a computer all day, although I can easily move around when I need to and take walks between cases.

I am so relieved! I followed up with the suggestions here and on Susan's advice, spoke to someone from the ADA hotline, who gave me some very useful info that hopefully I will never need to use. I should be back at work Wednesday.
    I'm really happy for you. You needed some good news after all you've been through. Having surgery must have been a tough decision in the first place being that you are the primary source of income in your family. I'm so glad it all worked out and you can go back to work. Hopefully for good this time!

Hugs,
    Rohrer01
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Thats great news!!! Good for you - and good for you for sticking it out and not giving up. Congrats
    1993/1995: PSF w/ Harrington rods T3-L4
    Jan. 24, 2012: ALIF of L4-L5, L5-S1 w/ cage spacer and BMP
    Jan. 31, 2012: PLIF of L1-S1 w/ pelvic anchors
    Scheduled Nov.15, 2012: Fusion T2-S1 w/ pelvic anchors to fix T12 fracture
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ot/myback2.jpg - BEFORE
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT2342x406.jpg - AFTER
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT1410x229.jpg - AFTER
    www.jerseyot.blogspot.com

Fantastic news!
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Good news Gayle,

Nice to be over the unnecessary stress.....like we really need these type’s of things happening.

Things always work themselves out-

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 58, the new 53...
    Pre surgery curves C12,T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Gayle--
    I'm so glad to hear this is taken care of! Can drive you nuts, can't it? Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by leahdragonfly View Post
    Well Dr Hart's office pulled through and got my revised work release faxed to my employer this afternoon, written exactly as I had asked. Within an hour HR had called to say I was approved to return with the revised restrictions in place. Amazing! So I will be able to mainly sit at a computer all day, although I can easily move around when I need to and take walks between cases.

I am so relieved! I followed up with the suggestions here and on Susan's advice, spoke to someone from the ADA hotline, who gave me some very useful info that hopefully I will never need to use. I should be back at work Wednesday.
    Hi Gayle,

I am so sorry this happened to you. I just read this whole thread today and was hoping things worked out for you.

After all you have been through, that's the last thing you need.

I am very fortunate to have a super supportive employer who has worked with my restrictions since even before my surgery. When my first rod broke I had to stop lifting and they have just bent over backwards to accommodate me after my return to work. I do feel lucky because I do know that not all employers are like that. It sounds like your HR director needs ALOT of education and enlightenment. Pa-lease!!! Can't lift a pen after back surgery?????

Enjoy getting back to life again...and a new and improved back ;-)
    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

I'm so glad it all worked out!
    I lost my job of over 23 years because of "limitations". Same thing with the big honchos calling meetings with witnesses and the whole shebang. The strange thing is that I was able to completely perform my job WITHOUT accommodations because I had a crew that I could delegate the heavy lifting to. I was devastated. But it all worked out in the end. I have a job I love now, where I am appreciated. Granted, I only make about half of what I was before, but the absence of the high stress level is well worth the pay cut!!
    Jenee'-52
    Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
    Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
    I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
    9 hours
    T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
    Non-fusion
    Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by jeneemohler View Post
    I'm so glad it all worked out!
    I lost my job of over 23 years because of "limitations". Same thing with the big honchos calling meetings with witnesses and the whole shebang. The strange thing is that I was able to completely perform my job WITHOUT accommodations because I had a crew that I could delegate the heavy lifting to. I was devastated. But it all worked out in the end. I have a job I love now, where I am appreciated. Granted, I only make about half of what I was before, but the absence of the high stress level is well worth the pay cut!!
    Wow Jenee, just clicked on your link to check our your pre and post pics (wasn't sure if you would see my post there as I'm new to all this so wanted to add it here). My curves are very similar to how yours were apart from my bottom curve is smaller and already has a harrington rod and my upper curve is bigger. My back in general and right shoulder very much look like yours did before your op. How are you getting on a yr post op? Are you finding your restricted in anyway?

Just wondering with pelvis fixation if you can tilt your pelvis forward or backwards and stick your bottom out (if that makes sense) strange I know but I'm trying to ask everything I can think of when it comes to me :-)

I'm so keeping my fingers crossed that I get just as good results.

Re work: I work in an office so am lucky that my job isn't too strenuous so hopefully I wont have the problems some people have but hopefully even if problems are incurred they can be resolved. Positive thinking all the way
    27 yr old Female.
    Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
    Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
    Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Just wondering with pelvis fixation if you can tilt your pelvis forward or backwards and stick your bottom out (if that makes sense) strange I know but I'm trying to ask everything I can think of when it comes to me :-)

You tilt your pelvis forward and backward by using your hip joints. Hope this helps.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.