No announcement yet.

Surgery this Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG! Pooka, I think your are right. That is wild!

Pam's husband: Thanks for posting. Get a good night's sleep. I knew that I would be in intensive care the first night and not need my husband until night 2. Tell Pam we are all cheering for her.
    Karen (Dr. Lenke's patient)
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Postop day 1

We met with Dr Lenke and Dr Kim who assisted him this morning. The X-rays from after the surgery are awesome. The back view showed a pretty straight spine. The side view looked good also with the curves in the right place. We are very happy with Dr. Lenke and all his team.

She has not been cleared for anything to drink, so she is strugling with her mounth being dry. She is getting her hydration through an IV and is allowed to chew on some ice chips occasionally. Hopefully this gets better for her soon. I think they are just giving her stomach time to wake up. Her swelling doesn't appear too bad.

Her pain is manageable as long as she stays still. When the nurses move her every couple of hours the pain does spike. She is still hooked up to a lot of cords so moving her is a challenge.

She started on the breathing exercises and is getting about 1/2 a liter each time she inhales.

The next milestone will be sitting up. That will come when she gets in her regular Ortho room later today, hopefully.

More post to come later.
      Pam, age 49
      Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
      April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
      T-3 to sacrum

Comment

So happy to hear the surgery went well. Hopefully, the week will show strong steady progress. Best wishes--positive thoughts and prayers coming your way. Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

It sounds like Pam is going well. Keep it up Pam! A big thanks to Pam's husband.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hope that you are doing well and that you are already healing. Thinking of you.
            Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Postop day 2

She was having a lot of abdomine pain and swelling, so I was glad when the orders came for a physical therapist. The PT helped with sitting up in bed, then into a walker, and then to a chair. In the chair, she hit 750 on the breathing devise. The PT was excellent at her job. It was great to see the resolve Pam has to make progress here. After all the therapy, she was exhausted and immediately fell asleep.

More to come later.
              Pam, age 49
              T-3 to sacrum

Comment

Tell Pam the first time they tried to sit me up, I nearly fainted and had to lay back down. By the next day, I not only sat up, but walked down the hall. (Then fell asleep, of course!) Day three was stairs, I think. Even now (5 weeks out), sitting is the hardest of the three. Wishing her progress and comfort!

Evelyn
                age 48
                80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Glad to hear that things are looking good for her!
                  Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Thanks for posing. I will look forward to reading about Pam's progress. Tell her we are all cheering for her.
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

So glad to see all good so far - moment by moment, it will keep getting better! Thanks for posting! Still praying for you & cheering you on from afar!
                      Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
                      Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
                      Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
                      Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
                      photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Test

Test ... Internet problems
                        Pam, age 49
                        T-3 to sacrum

Comment

Postop 3rd day

She had a good day. She walked to the door and back and sat for 20 minutes. The PTs are awesome.

She is still having "cotton" mouth and is only allowed 1/2 a small cup of ice.

She asked what is the average on the spirometer when laying down?

Here's my question...we have a six hour drive home...how did you handle breaks?
                          Pam, age 49
                          T-3 to sacrum

Comment

Drive home

Hi,
                            My drive home was about 7.5 hours. We split it over 2 days. We stopped every hour so I could walk. We would stop at a "big box" type store (Walmart or similar) and I would stroll around with my walker.

The second day was more difficult than the first. I found the "wear" on me to be cumulative.

kathy
                            Kathy
                            46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                            71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                            8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                            http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Are you planning to stay in St Louis for a few days at a hotel before you drive home? Every day you delay will make it a little easier for her.

For me, I like putting the front seat as far back and down as possible, and then laying a really squishy pillow on top of it.

We stopped at least every couple of hours driving. You're supposed to to help prevent blood clots, etc. One time there was nowhere to stop when I "had to" get out of the car. We pulled up to a closed country restaurant, and I literally layed flat on one of their wooden benches with my head on a towel for a while.

Pain meds are important for the ride home. If it gets too bad, you might break it into two days, but I doubt you will need to.

Best wishes,
                              Evelyn
                              age 48
                              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Drive home

Hi,
                                My drive home was about 7.5 hours. We split it over 2 days. We stopped every hour so I could walk. We would stop at a "big box" type store (Walmart or similar) and I would stroll around with my walker.

The second day was more difficult than the first. I found the "wear" on me to be cumulative. It was wearing on my husband, too, worrying about the bumps. I didn't get back in the car for another 4 weeks after I got home!

kathy
                                Kathy
                                46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                                71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                                8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                                http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Working...
                                X