No announcement yet.

Sonoran Spine Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Susan, I am afraid that age has an awful lot to do with what we can and cannot do after fusion. But we keep trying.
    Sally
    PS: Ed, have a wonderful trip.
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Yes Ed Have a great trip. Hope all goes well. I may have news to share by the time you return. After 6 years it is time!!!Sally--it sounds like you are doing well!!!Yes!! It does seem as if the restrictions are written for the young people. Older ones{like myself} don't do flips and jog away way.At first--it really pays to take it slow--walk for exercise--and take care to think through all of your movements.
      After a few years--today--I left my volunteer position because there were a lot of people in a small area and I know how easy it would be for me to be hurt if they run into me. A bunch of teens all moving around rapidly--just acting like teens. And I am not too fond of pain! So I left for a safer area.
      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
      Right scapulectomy 6/15
      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
      Broken neck 9/28/2018
      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
      Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
      Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
        From Jen: My restriction sheet:
        1 month: return to work/school(???-no way!!!), use stationary bike, swim (not dive)
        4 months: shoot free throws, gentle tennis, volleying ball
        6 months: light jogging
        1 year: skating, skiing, bowling, horseback riding (no jumping), roller coasters

WOW Jen! can't believe that you can do these activities! Maybe I needed a different surgeon.....or should be 30 years younger like you are! Make sure that your plan is OK with your doctor.

Don't want you to ruin your awesome fusion!
        Susan
        I am NOT doing these things, these were the 'guidelines' given to me by my doctor-the only ones. I feel he is very liberal as I am no way capable of doing them and I was working full time and in good shape before surgery. But, I also suffered from what I considered to be incredible daily pain for over a year and I think it has compromised my recovery some. I have major relief with my lower back pain but my upper right shoulder and neck still hold me back. I am NOT giving up home yet!
        I sure don't feel young most days!
        With your quick wit is keeping you young and sassy!
        *Jen
        Fusion surgery with Dr. Chang May 7, 2013
        Pre-T:50 L:48
        Post-T:20 L:0
        Degenerative disk disease through spine and neck with bulging disks as well. Spinal cord deformity in the area of C5-6.
        {On the road to a lifetime of forever with a back not holding me down!! Vacations, playtime with the kids, adult excursions! Life is moving forward not holding me back }

Comment

Originally posted by back2life View Post
          I am NOT doing these things, these were the 'guidelines' given to me by my doctor-the only ones. I feel he is very liberal as I am no way capable of doing them and I was working full time and in good shape before surgery. But, I also suffered from what I considered to be incredible daily pain for over a year and I think it has compromised my recovery some. I have major relief with my lower back pain but my upper right shoulder and neck still hold me back. I am NOT giving up home yet!
          I sure don't feel young most days!
          With your quick wit is keeping you young and sassy!
          Jen: Your MD is liberal. Return to work/school at one month? Yikes....I was so doped up on Dilaudid at 1 month that I probably could not find my way to work! So glad that your lower back is better.....sometimes it just takes time for your upper back to heal.....so, let's just give it more time!
          Oldie but goldie, Susan
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
          X