Sonoran Spine Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonoran Spine Center

just wondering if anyone has heard of the Sonoran Spine Center...
    they list a few different locations in Arizona...
    i just saw a Dr Michael Chang.... on The Doctors show on TV that i recorded on Friday April 13...
    he showed a fusion surgery T3 to L4...with the X rays....didn't say the size of the curve...
    the patient wasn't available ,as the surgery was recent...
    the after X ray looked very straight....
    he claimed that after healing, she could do any activity, including "sky diving"

just asking if anyone knows of this place...???

jess

I think most patients are released for sky-diving.

As far as I can tell, the only universal restriction with a fusion is bungee jumping which non-fused people should not do either given the danger of back injury.

Trampoline is another that is frequently restricted indefinitely but I am not sure why.

Horseback riding is not restricted per my kids or any testimonial I have seen.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Sharon, that sky diving thing absolutely shocks me...
      even with fusion to sacrum....?????
      how can that be...landing from sky diving is risky as far as how exactly anyone lands....
      it seems jarring...not like bungee jumping, but jarring just the same...
      i did not think anyone with fusion to sacrum can be flexible on demand...not knowing what
      position they will have to be prepared for....
      though i know people can ski, like TiEd, it still seems sky diving puts you on the ground
      harder.....?????

jess

Comment

Jess,

I don't know about folks fused to sacrum but I would guess they have less restrictions (after fusion) than folks with one or two discs below a long fusion that need to be protected.

Linda might know.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I really can't even imagine how unpleasant such a hard, jarring landing would be with a long fusion or fusion to sacrum. It seems ridiculously foolhardy to me, and without seeing the website or claim, it seems like the surgeon is being boastful about how great his results are.

I thought I was interested in skydiving once, a long time ago in my early twenties. I called some skydiving outfit and was told that they would strongly discourage me from ever trying it, and at that time, I had just a L4-S1 fusion.
          Gayle, age 50
          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

People with fusion to the sacrum have more restrictions in the short term, but I agree with Sharon, we probably have fewer restrictions long term (since we have no discs below our fusions to take the impact). Every doctor is different, but I think most doctors release patients to do just about anything. If a fusion is solid, we are actually able to withstand more than people with no fusion.
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
              If a fusion is solid, we are actually able to withstand more than people with no fusion.
              This rings a bell. I have either read it or was told it.

A solid fusion is probably harder to break than an unfused back. More bone involved. In the case of fusion to pelvis, that is a lot more "bone" to take a jarring than just S1.

I am guessing that is why there might be fewer restrictions.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                This rings a bell. I have either read it or was told it.

A solid fusion is probably harder to break than an unfused back. More bone involved. In the case of fusion to pelvis, that is a lot more "bone" to take a jarring than just S1.

I am guessing that is why there might be fewer restrictions.
                Few, if any of us, are fused to the pelvis. Pelvic fixation doesn't usually involve fusion of the S-I joint. The screws or bolts that go into the pelvis are just there to anchor the fusion.

--Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                  Few, if any of us, are fused to the pelvis. Pelvic fixation doesn't usually involve fusion of the S-I joint. The screws or bolts that go into the pelvis are just there to anchor the fusion.

--Linda
                  Ah okay. Thanks. I will try to remember that.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                    Trampoline is another that is frequently restricted indefinitely but I am not sure why.
                    I believe that most orthos would tell you they simple hate trampolines for ANYONE. I'm told they see too many injuries from trampolines and would discourage anyone - whether they have had back surgery or not - to stay off of them.
                    mariaf305@yahoo.com
                    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

but then how do all those broken rods happen, as reported on this forum....??????
                      i read about either people scared they broke a rod, or they actually did break the rod in some place
                      or other...
                      if fusions are solid enough to withstand almost any activity, WHAT are these people who break rods
                      doing out there....??????

jess

Comment

Jess

The goal is to fuse nice and solid. Sometime that doesn’t happen and we only find out when metal breaks....

I think Karen mentioned that Dr Lenke has seen pseudo’s at 9 years post....

I have had a few falls skiing, even flipped over once in the powder. These were low speed falls....I wouldn’t want to fall doing any activity that involves any speed....Its not good to get slammed hard in any condition, age or shape.

I have to say now that my full fusion doesn’t bother me much. I am extremely pleased with the outcome.
                        Ed
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

well, good to know....
                          but i wonder about at just a certain angle...??
                          so PLEASE...be careful anyway!

jess

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf View Post
                            I believe that most orthos would tell you they simple hate trampolines for ANYONE. I'm told they see too many injuries from trampolines and would discourage anyone - whether they have had back surgery or not - to stay off of them.
                            Ah okay. So it is in the same category as bungee jumping... nobody should do it. Nothing particular to fusion.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                              but then how do all those broken rods happen, as reported on this forum....??????
                              It's my understanding that all broken rods are from pseudoarthrosis (the paper clip bending analogy). Certainly all the cases on this group that I have read have been in that category.

Trauma that would break an unfused back may or may not break a fused back/rod system.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X