Mobility question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobility question

I'm hoping to get a better idea about post op mobility. I am already fused L1-L4 and have been since I was 7, so I think I'm pretty used to limited mobility - probably so used to it, in fact, that I don't notice it. I bend at the hips but can touch my toes and never feel limited.

My surgery on April 23 was originally planned to be T12-sacrum. Now I found out it will be T5-sacrum. I was never concerned with the fusion to the sacrum, but T5 is really throwing me off! I know that not much movement comes from the thoracic spine, but that's a big difference from the original game plan.

Thoughts? Ti Ed, come to my rescue!

Thanks guys!

Lindsay

Hello,

I'm not fused, yet. But my doc told me that T-spine fusions don't limit mobility harldly at all. If you are already immobile from L1 - L4, I would guess that you will miss the L4/L5 and L5/S1 discs the most. Just a thought from a person who hasn't been there, but I have been reading a LOT. You might try sending Ed a PM just in case he doesn't see this post. There are plenty of other people on here who have had revisions, though, and been fused farther down that might be able to give you a better idea of what if "feels" like. TiEd's fusion was all at once.

Rohrer01
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Thanks, Rohrer. I'm really getting nervous about the surgery and I know that no one has the exact experience, but it helps to hear. Thanks for your input - it means a lot! I'm scared about losing even more quality of life, but I guess I can't look at it that way. When everyone explains that it feels "different" (that feeling of losing flexibility)...well, it's weird for me to understand that something can feel strange without hurting. If that makes sense. LOL.

Lindsay

Comment

hi Lindsay...
        most surgeons tell their patients it is the fusion to sacrum that takes mobility away to some degree, not
        the upper spinal surgery that does it...

best of luck with your operation and recovery....
        jess

Comment

Hi...

I'm fused T4-sacrum. I can tell you that most people cannot tell that I'm fused. When I demonstrate my movement to patients, they're always surprised. With that said, there are definitely limitations. I will probably never sit on the floor, or in a regular bathtub, again. I will probably always have problems putting socks on my right foot. If I could wave my magic wand and make my spine fusion go away, and not have any pain, I'd be happy camper. Unfortunately, I didn't really have an option to not have my spine fused, so I just deal with it. There are definitely worse things that could happen.

Sorry to hear that you'll need more surgery.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks, Linda. That's reassuring. I can tell you that in no way is my biggest concern mobility... I think I'm so stressed out at this point, that I'm coming up with secondary issues to freak out about, if that makes sense. Like before my last fusion, my biggest worry was whether or not I'd have a catheter. Obviously, that was the least of my concerns when it really came down to it.

I just so badly want to put this past me. My pain is getting worse daily, I have no life. I'm excited for the surgery, but scared to death. It scares me to be in my 20s and not be able to sit on the floor or put my socks on, but constant pain obviously scares me quite more. Thanks for your insight.

Lindsay

Comment

Working...
            X