Revision surgery for my son.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revision surgery for my son.

So...my son is going to go ahead with a revision surgery from approx. L1 to S1. He had one failed back surgery 6 years ago and is in awful chronic pain. His curve is worse now after having to have the hardware removed 18 mths. after first surgery, and he now has a fracture @ L4-L5. He is so not looking forward to this. Scheduled for June 14th in Miami with Dr. Nathan Lebwohl. God how I pray this will help and not be another nightmare for him. What do you all think? Any suggestions? Anyone had experience with Dr. Lebwohl? It has taken him a while to give in to this surgery, and he is very scared. God bless you all.

Hi there,

Just wanted to offer my support. I had surgery a year ago that has just increased my pain, and I'm scheduled for another fusion on April 23 (T5-sacrum)...I am scared too! It's not a fun position to be in. I'll be thinking of him. How old is he? I know that I am so thankful to have my family's support. He is lucky to have you!

Lindsay

Comment

Hi Lindsey. My son is 24. It's a scary prospect, but his pain is so bad and his back is looking more and more deformed every day. I hope and pray your surgery will be a success. Who is your surgeon?

Comment

I'm 26...so I totally get it. It sure doesn't make it easy to be carefree and have fun!

Thanks for the well wishes. I live in Pittsburgh but will be treated by Dr. Angevine and Dr. Vitale at Columbia in NY.

If he ever needs to vent, I'm always here to listen!

Lindsay

Originally posted by dianadee58 View Post
        Hi Lindsey. My son is 24. It's a scary prospect, but his pain is so bad and his back is looking more and more deformed every day. I hope and pray your surgery will be a success. Who is your surgeon?

Comment

Hi...

Two things. Dr. Lebwohl has a very good reputation, so I think your son is in good hands. Secondly, if all they're doing is fixing the fracture and reinstrumenting, I'm betting that the recovery is going to be much easier this time. Hope I'm right!

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I just wanted to say good luck to both of you! Having children in their 20's, I can feel for both the patients and the parents!

I was glad to read Linda's post about Dr. Lebwohl, and I echo her hopes that the recovery from these surgeries is easier than the initial surgery for both of you.

As for Dr. Vitale, I help run another website for parents of children with scoliosis, and speak to a lot of these parents, as well as to doctors. Dr. Vitale is regarded by his peers as one of the best in the field. In addition, his patients and their families all absolutely rave about him. You could not be in better hands.
            mariaf305@yahoo.com
            Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
            Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Maria: that is one of the best things I could hear right now. Thanks for sharing that.

Comment

Glad I could help, Lindsay.

I look forward to hearing about your speedy and uneventful recovery
                mariaf305@yahoo.com
                Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Thank you all so very much for the encouragement!!!

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                  Hi...

Two things. Dr. Lebwohl has a very good reputation, so I think your son is in good hands. Secondly, if all they're doing is fixing the fracture and reinstrumenting, I'm betting that the recovery is going to be much easier this time. Hope I'm right!

Regards,
                  Linda
                  Linda...thank you for all you do here. I'm so glad to know we will be in good hands. When you say reinstrumenting, yes...his initial instrumentation was removed 18 mths after surgery for a non-union and continuing excruciating pain. So...there is a non-union to deal with also. The surgery will be a 2 part surgery...first on Thursday June 14th and the second one the following Tuesday. I need to call Dr. Lebwohl and find out exactly what will be happening on the 2 surgery dates...he gave us his cell phone number, which I think is super cool! I don't feel like we're going into this very educated on the whole surgery. I'm going to do some investigating. Oh how I pray things will indeed be better this time. One thing I don't completely grasp is Dr. Lebwohl wants him to be completely off all narcotics for 8 weeks before surgery. This has been very hard on my son. He got addicted to pain meds after the first surgery, and has been fighting awful addictions issues also. He got off narcs and on to saboxone, but now he has to be off all. Is this standard procedure with physicians?

God bless you dear one,

Diana

Comment

Thank you dear one.

Originally posted by mariaf View Post
                    I just wanted to say good luck to both of you! Having children in their 20's, I can feel for both the patients and the parents!

I was glad to read Linda's post about Dr. Lebwohl, and I echo her hopes that the recovery from these surgeries is easier than the initial surgery for both of you.

As for Dr. Vitale, I help run another website for parents of children with scoliosis, and speak to a lot of these parents, as well as to doctors. Dr. Vitale is regarded by his peers as one of the best in the field. In addition, his patients and their families all absolutely rave about him. You could not be in better hands.
                    We appreciate your well wishes Mariaf. God bless you and your son. I'm so glad he is doing well.

Blessings to you!

Comment

Thank you Lindsay!

Originally posted by les130 View Post
                      I'm 26...so I totally get it. It sure doesn't make it easy to be carefree and have fun!

Thanks for the well wishes. I live in Pittsburgh but will be treated by Dr. Angevine and Dr. Vitale at Columbia in NY.

If he ever needs to vent, I'm always here to listen!

Lindsay
                      I appreciate your words and well wishes. I hope and pray your surgery is successful and you have the relief from pain you deserve. I'm going to pass on to Jonmarc your reply. He reads on here too.

God bless you sweet one.

Comment

Working...
                      X