Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Revision surgery for my son.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl.
    Posts
    33

    Revision surgery for my son.

    So...my son is going to go ahead with a revision surgery from approx. L1 to S1. He had one failed back surgery 6 years ago and is in awful chronic pain. His curve is worse now after having to have the hardware removed 18 mths. after first surgery, and he now has a fracture @ L4-L5. He is so not looking forward to this. Scheduled for June 14th in Miami with Dr. Nathan Lebwohl. God how I pray this will help and not be another nightmare for him. What do you all think? Any suggestions? Anyone had experience with Dr. Lebwohl? It has taken him a while to give in to this surgery, and he is very scared. God bless you all.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    21
    Hi there,

    Just wanted to offer my support. I had surgery a year ago that has just increased my pain, and I'm scheduled for another fusion on April 23 (T5-sacrum)...I am scared too! It's not a fun position to be in. I'll be thinking of him. How old is he? I know that I am so thankful to have my family's support. He is lucky to have you!

    Lindsay

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl.
    Posts
    33
    Hi Lindsey. My son is 24. It's a scary prospect, but his pain is so bad and his back is looking more and more deformed every day. I hope and pray your surgery will be a success. Who is your surgeon?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    21
    I'm 26...so I totally get it. It sure doesn't make it easy to be carefree and have fun!

    Thanks for the well wishes. I live in Pittsburgh but will be treated by Dr. Angevine and Dr. Vitale at Columbia in NY.

    If he ever needs to vent, I'm always here to listen!

    Lindsay

    Quote Originally Posted by dianadee58 View Post
    Hi Lindsey. My son is 24. It's a scary prospect, but his pain is so bad and his back is looking more and more deformed every day. I hope and pray your surgery will be a success. Who is your surgeon?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    6,794
    Hi...

    Two things. Dr. Lebwohl has a very good reputation, so I think your son is in good hands. Secondly, if all they're doing is fixing the fracture and reinstrumenting, I'm betting that the recovery is going to be much easier this time. Hope I'm right!

    Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    1,809
    I just wanted to say good luck to both of you! Having children in their 20's, I can feel for both the patients and the parents!

    I was glad to read Linda's post about Dr. Lebwohl, and I echo her hopes that the recovery from these surgeries is easier than the initial surgery for both of you.

    As for Dr. Vitale, I help run another website for parents of children with scoliosis, and speak to a lot of these parents, as well as to doctors. Dr. Vitale is regarded by his peers as one of the best in the field. In addition, his patients and their families all absolutely rave about him. You could not be in better hands.
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

    http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    21
    Maria: that is one of the best things I could hear right now. Thanks for sharing that.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    1,809
    Glad I could help, Lindsay.

    I look forward to hearing about your speedy and uneventful recovery
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

    http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl.
    Posts
    33

    Thank you all so very much for the encouragement!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by LindaRacine View Post
    Hi...

    Two things. Dr. Lebwohl has a very good reputation, so I think your son is in good hands. Secondly, if all they're doing is fixing the fracture and reinstrumenting, I'm betting that the recovery is going to be much easier this time. Hope I'm right!

    Regards,
    Linda
    Linda...thank you for all you do here. I'm so glad to know we will be in good hands. When you say reinstrumenting, yes...his initial instrumentation was removed 18 mths after surgery for a non-union and continuing excruciating pain. So...there is a non-union to deal with also. The surgery will be a 2 part surgery...first on Thursday June 14th and the second one the following Tuesday. I need to call Dr. Lebwohl and find out exactly what will be happening on the 2 surgery dates...he gave us his cell phone number, which I think is super cool! I don't feel like we're going into this very educated on the whole surgery. I'm going to do some investigating. Oh how I pray things will indeed be better this time. One thing I don't completely grasp is Dr. Lebwohl wants him to be completely off all narcotics for 8 weeks before surgery. This has been very hard on my son. He got addicted to pain meds after the first surgery, and has been fighting awful addictions issues also. He got off narcs and on to saboxone, but now he has to be off all. Is this standard procedure with physicians?

    God bless you dear one,

    Diana

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl.
    Posts
    33

    Thank you dear one.

    Quote Originally Posted by mariaf View Post
    I just wanted to say good luck to both of you! Having children in their 20's, I can feel for both the patients and the parents!

    I was glad to read Linda's post about Dr. Lebwohl, and I echo her hopes that the recovery from these surgeries is easier than the initial surgery for both of you.

    As for Dr. Vitale, I help run another website for parents of children with scoliosis, and speak to a lot of these parents, as well as to doctors. Dr. Vitale is regarded by his peers as one of the best in the field. In addition, his patients and their families all absolutely rave about him. You could not be in better hands.
    We appreciate your well wishes Mariaf. God bless you and your son. I'm so glad he is doing well.

    Blessings to you!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl.
    Posts
    33

    Thank you Lindsay!

    Quote Originally Posted by les130 View Post
    I'm 26...so I totally get it. It sure doesn't make it easy to be carefree and have fun!

    Thanks for the well wishes. I live in Pittsburgh but will be treated by Dr. Angevine and Dr. Vitale at Columbia in NY.

    If he ever needs to vent, I'm always here to listen!

    Lindsay
    I appreciate your words and well wishes. I hope and pray your surgery is successful and you have the relief from pain you deserve. I'm going to pass on to Jonmarc your reply. He reads on here too.

    God bless you sweet one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •