yacpatty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yacpatty

Hello Everyone...I am new to the forum. I have spent days reading some of the over 1,000 threads in the Surgical Revision section and feel like I know many of you already. I am approaching 61 years of age. When I was 13, I had a fusion T4 to L2 using bone from a bone bank for the fusion as rods were not being used at that time. It was around 1963. I was doing great until 1986 when I was 35. Since then I have had left SI joint tightness relieved only with rest and losts of stretching, I have had leg pain and burning, and generalized pain. This is all brought about by walking more than 1/4 mile, sitting longer than 20 minutes and standing more than 20 minutes. I have to constantly pace myself in these activities. I have spent the past 26 years in chronic pain relieved temporarily only by aquatherapy, resting, stretching, and cellebrex and vicodan, and lyrica. My MRIs show severe neural foraminal stenosis, L5 and S1nerve root compression and rotated scoliosis L2-S1. I do not have any central canal stenosis.
    My pain has become increasingly severe to the point I can do little without pain. I went to see a top rated scoliosis physician 6 years ago in Towson, Maryland who had the bedside manner of a snake. Needless to say, I was very disappointed by his behaviour as he is a top rated doctor but I would have been scared silly to ask him a question or challenge him on any issues regarding my back. Afterall, this is extremely scary. My pain management doctor and anesthesiologist who has given me steroid injections tell me that they have seen so many failed back surgeries and that my spine is so bad they would recommend that I not have further surgery unless I met with the a top rated sciolosis revision doctor. From what I have read on this forum and doing internet research, Dr. Lenke, Bridwell, Boache and Andonacci are at the top of the list.
    Here is my question. I live in Harrisburg, Pa. Do any of you know of any other top rated surgeons closer to Harrisburg. Right now, the closest surgeon would be Dr. Darryl Andronacci who is 2.5 hrs away in Lawrencille, NJ. How many of you have had a successful surgery with him. And I do realize that with any doctor, nothing is guaranteed. They are doctors trying to do their best.
    From what I have read, it seems like I am probably looking at another fusion L3-sacrum and I need to hear more success stories. Does your case sound a lot like mine? SEVERE NEURAL FORAMINAL STENOSIS, L5 AND S1 NERVE ROOT COMPRESSION, LUMBAR SPINE ROTATED. Thank you.
    1963 Fusion T4-L2 for congenital scoliosis. It was a bone graft and not instrumentation
    1989 to Present....Have had chronic pain. MRI's show severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-S1, rotational scoliosis lumbar spine over 40 degrees, compression of nerve roots L5-S1, Broad Based Herniations L4-L5, L5-S
    Surgery scheduled with Dr. Bridwell on December 11, 2012
    December 11, 2012 Had surgery with Dr. Bridwell. He fused L4-L5 with rods and screws.

Hi yacpatty...

Welcome to the forums.

You might want to check out Khaled Kebaish at Johns Hopkins. He is definitely known as a revision surgeon, and is a little closer to home for you.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
    X