• My new Back

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif

Here is my new back! 2 Surgeries, 4 incisions
    Attached Files

Originally posted by annabeller View Post

Looking good! When was your surgery?

I wonder if that's what my spine will look like. I already have a rob at the bottom part of my back but due to the progression of my top curve I am scheduled to have full fusion to the sacrum or possibly the pelvis.
    27 yr old Female.
    Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
    Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
    Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

How do you feel? I'm just curious as to why they left the old instrumentation in there when the rod is clearly detached from the screw. I guess if it doesn't bother you, then it's okay. I hope you feel much, much better!
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

I feel great. Well I am tired and it hurts to sleep. Because I can't really move LOL. But at least I am out of constant pain. I am still having to take a percocet in the morning and one at night. I don't like it. I wonder if it will fully go away.....the pain. Sorry I took so long to reply. Did you have surgery yet?

Comment

I feel great. Well I am tired and it hurts to sleep. Because I can't really move LOL. But at least I am out of constant pain. I am still having to take a percocet in the morning and one at night. I don't like it. I wonder if it will fully go away.....the pain. Sorry I took so long to reply. Did you have surgery yet?
          No surgery for me. I'm holding off going back to the spine surgeon for the time being. He was inconsistent and told me to come back in 18 to 24 months because of progression, and sooner if my pain increased. When my pain increased a month or two later I went back. He didn't have my records and he sent my doctor a letter telling him I didn't need to come back for five years! I obtained my records from his office and the discrepency is right there in his own notes, so I don't know what to do. I had an x-ray one year following the "big progression" and the radiologist said there was no progression in the main curve and slight progression in the smaller curve. He didn't state how much progression there was, so I don't know if I should go back sooner or later...

I'm in pain, too. I take four percocets a day and recently started back on Ultram, too. I HATE it. I'm also on muscle relaxants including Klonopin, which helps but I really don't want to be on. I am also getting Botox injections to try to calm the muscles down. Unfortunately, it has made my neck pain worse, not better, at least so far. I still am wanting to get pregnant, so I really don't want all this garbage in my system. But since I'm getting older, it may never happen. So if I go off all my meds, it may all be for naught. I asked my gynocologist if I were to get pregnant, would it be better to do before or after spine surgery. She said before. I don't know how I would ever have spine surgery, though, if I had a baby or toddler to take care of. =( ...I really wish there were better pain control methods out there so that my body isn't so toxic. If I KNEW for a fact that spine surgery would help the pain, I would jump on it. The surgeon is of the impression that it will make my pain worse. He thinks it will leave me at a level 6 pain. If I'm at a 4 now, then I'll be unhappy. The problem is, a lot of the time I'm at that 4 WITH the pain meds. So that's my conundrum.
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
            No surgery for me. I'm holding off going back to the spine surgeon for the time being. He was inconsistent and told me to come back in 18 to 24 months because of progression, and sooner if my pain increased. When my pain increased a month or two later I went back. He didn't have my records and he sent my doctor a letter telling him I didn't need to come back for five years! I obtained my records from his office and the discrepency is right there in his own notes, so I don't know what to do. I had an x-ray one year following the "big progression" and the radiologist said there was no progression in the main curve and slight progression in the smaller curve. He didn't state how much progression there was, so I don't know if I should go back sooner or later...

I'm in pain, too. I take four percocets a day and recently started back on Ultram, too. I HATE it. I'm also on muscle relaxants including Klonopin, which helps but I really don't want to be on. I am also getting Botox injections to try to calm the muscles down. Unfortunately, it has made my neck pain worse, not better, at least so far. I still am wanting to get pregnant, so I really don't want all this garbage in my system. But since I'm getting older, it may never happen. So if I go off all my meds, it may all be for naught. I asked my gynocologist if I were to get pregnant, would it be better to do before or after spine surgery. She said before. I don't know how I would ever have spine surgery, though, if I had a baby or toddler to take care of. =( ...I really wish there were better pain control methods out there so that my body isn't so toxic. If I KNEW for a fact that spine surgery would help the pain, I would jump on it. The surgeon is of the impression that it will make my pain worse. He thinks it will leave me at a level 6 pain. If I'm at a 4 now, then I'll be unhappy. The problem is, a lot of the time I'm at that 4 WITH the pain meds. So that's my conundrum.
            Hi rohrer

You're in quite a pickle. I didn't know you were wanting to get pregnant. I did read a thread on here where a lady has a toddler and is now looking to have surgery but wants to wait until her little one is a bit bigger because she won't really be able to care for him.
            If you get pregnant now you'll probably have to stop taking your pain meds then have 9 mths with a baby growing and getting heavier and you can't take the meds, your curves may also get worse.
            I was told there is no guarantee that surgery will improve my pain but I want to take that risk. I'm in so much pain now, sick of taking maximum meds, lost 2inch in height in a year, loss of lung capacity. I really don't think I could carry a baby until after surgery. Looking at the messages and pics on here I should be way taller, straighter and suffer from far less pain for me the positives far outweigh the risks.
            I'd definately keep a close eye on your progression and pain levels then maybe you'll have to take the plunge, try for a baby or have the surgery.
            Good Luck

Jenna x
            27 yr old Female.
            Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
            Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
            Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

Working...
            X