JERSEYOT UPDATE: I broke my back - in hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michele,
    I can't imagine being away from my family as long as you have been. I pray that your healing goes into high gear when you return home this week. You most certainly deserve it!
    Donna
    Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
    Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
    Fused T3-L3
    60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
    Tennis player & returning to the courts!
    http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

I am still in so much pain. I'm home but I'm definitely not "all better" - I have a follow up with my surgeon on Monday and after calling and telling him and his PA of my pain, they sent me for a CT scan which I just got home from. Now if i could only SEE what a T12 fracture looks like - my dad will pick up the report tomorrow and I'll bring it and the CD with me on Monday.

I'm just supposed to feel better by now. Up until this mysterious T12 fx sometime around 3/24-25, I was doing well. I am so upset - with myself, my surgeon, just my life in general. I will NOT blog about my feelings like this because I want to encourage others not bring them down. I hate how I feel - physically mentally and emotionally. If I have to undergo another surgery, I don't know WHAT I'll do. My mind can't even go there but somehow I think that's where I'm headed unfortunately. I'm just in a really low place right now.
      1993/1995: PSF w/ Harrington rods T3-L4
      Jan. 24, 2012: ALIF of L4-L5, L5-S1 w/ cage spacer and BMP
      Jan. 31, 2012: PLIF of L1-S1 w/ pelvic anchors
      Scheduled Nov.15, 2012: Fusion T2-S1 w/ pelvic anchors to fix T12 fracture
      http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ot/myback2.jpg - BEFORE
      http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT2342x406.jpg - AFTER
      http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT1410x229.jpg - AFTER
      www.jerseyot.blogspot.com

Comment

I am so sorry that this has happened to you.
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Michele,
          I started a reply and deleted it because I just don't know what to say. I want you to know that I'm thinking of you and hoping and praying that your pain decreases soon.
          Karen

Your picture on your blog of Katie smelling the flowers was so cute! You are quite a photographer.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Michele,

Please, don't worry about bringing other people down - this forum is the place to share your true feelings - good or bad. And, please, don't be upset with yourself - you've been thru so much!

As someone considering surgery, I find your posts invaluable... I hope that time will heal and you feel better soon.
            I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
            45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
            A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Michele - So sorry to read of your continuing physical & emotional pain. Lifted you up in prayer, as I often do. I truly hope that your back is healing & that your pain is relieved. It's got to be so frustrating to be in constant pain - this includes you too Melissa!- and to just want to heal & get back to the norm. A longer road than either of you envisioned. Know that we are all pulling for you and are here when you need to vent or question or rant or voice fears - whatever it takes. We really do care.
              Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
              Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
              Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
              Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
              photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Originally posted by jerseyot View Post
                I am still in so much pain. I'm home but I'm definitely not "all better" - I have a follow up with my surgeon on Monday and after calling and telling him and his PA of my pain, they sent me for a CT scan which I just got home from. Now if i could only SEE what a T12 fracture looks like - my dad will pick up the report tomorrow and I'll bring it and the CD with me on Monday.

I'm just supposed to feel better by now. Up until this mysterious T12 fx sometime around 3/24-25, I was doing well. I am so upset - with myself, my surgeon, just my life in general. I will NOT blog about my feelings like this because I want to encourage others not bring them down. I hate how I feel - physically mentally and emotionally. If I have to undergo another surgery, I don't know WHAT I'll do. My mind can't even go there but somehow I think that's where I'm headed unfortunately. I'm just in a really low place right now.
                Hi Jersey,

First I wanted to say how sorry I am that your road has been unexpectedly rough for you. Please don't be so hard on yourself. I really do hope that there will be a turnaround for you soon.

I know that my situation isn't at all the same thing. I had a revision too for sagittal imbalance and things were going great when in December my 2 rods broke. The pain was really almost unbearable at times. I imagine the pain from the broken rods to be maybe the same as your broken back?
                I can only guess. Anyway, if you have to have another surgery, hopefully it will be a smaller fusion. It was in my case and the pain relief was successful. Once you are in your home environment, it will be easier to deal with your recovery. I promise. You have alot of friends pulling for you ;-)
                May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Jersey--
                  Please don't worry about bringing people down. That's the whole idea of the forum--we encourage and support, but we also have to be honest with the good, the bad, and the ugly. Even though it's a difficult journey for you now, we all need to know all the possibilities. Even if we have had the surgery and been basically OK.
                  We're here for you. Vent away. And know we're all praying for better days for you, Melissa, and all those who are having such difficulties. I think of you all daily. Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Michele,

I too am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain and feeling so low. You have been through so much and you really deserve a break. Sometimes we just don't get that break though. I am glad you had the CT and should hopefully get some answers Monday. Like Kristy I suffered broken rods in January and had to have a huge revision for it, which of course is different from your situation. However, I remember thinking OMG how can I make it through another surgery?, and yet I did, and I am doing well overall now. You will get through this and we are all here to listen, good or bad. You will not bring anyone down.

Please let us know how things go Monday.

Take care,
                    Gayle, age 50
                    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

I'm so sorry you're in such a dark, horrible place right now. I think it helps to say it like it is, no matter how awful, so vent all you want. We're listening and we're all barracking for you and Melissa and others who've done it really hard, but wish we could help in a practical way. Hope you are feeling much better very soon.
                      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

i would like to second what everyone else said about venting...
                        this is the place to do it...
                        patients cannot be up and feeling good all the time...
                        vent all you need to...we can handle it...
                        i too am hoping and praying that you will feel better...
                        many people have you in their thoughts as well...
                        i am so sorry you have been thru so much and it has been so hard...

jess...& Sparky

Comment

Thanks everyone for your support - it means a lot to me. I go back to see the surgeon on Monday (5/14) with the results of my CT scan which I had done yesterday. He'll look at the disc and say one of two things: "you're healing nicely and the pain is normal but should improve as the fracture counties to heal" OR "I'm sorry but you'll need surgery to fix this (T12 transverse process fracture).". Stay tuned...

Comment

My prayers are with you also. Pain can be so debilitating and so frightening also because we wonder if we will ever feel better. This is definitely the place to vent. I am so glad you are home now where your babies can kiss you and make you feel better at least for a little while.
                            Sally
                            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Michele

Try to keep your head up on this, you know that its just a little setback and in the end it will all work out....Its all we can do sometimes as scolis, learning patience in major pain.....hang in there.

Keep us posted.

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Well the T12 fracture is still as clear as day on the CT scan. The pain I feel is from both the enormous 2-part surgery I had in January AND the T12 transverse process fracture. Everything is in alignment and I am to continue wearing the clam shell for another 3 months....but NO SURGERY FOR NOW!!! He said that the majority of fractures like this heal properly and unless something goes out of alignment, I won't need surgery and the clam shell will hopefully fix it.

So that's the deal. The pain is what it is and I'm still on pain meds. I just have to tough it out until it heals. Thanks for all your well wishes!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X