JERSEYOT UPDATE: I broke my back - in hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JERSEYOT UPDATE: I broke my back - in hospital

Well, I WAS doing very well up until Friday and by Sunday I could barely walk. I called the dr Mond day got an X-ray and he said it looked good and to call Friday if not better. Well I barely made it through Wedmesday and had to go to the ER, we're I was immediately admitted due to severe pain - a CT reveals a T12 fracture. I'm in a TLSO. The dr and myself both thought for itwas all muscle spasm related. After 48 hours I aM finally at starting to get a little relief...very little...my options are:1/ brace and hope doe the best; or 2) surgery.

I am a mess, emotionally and every other eat way. I don't know what to go AND my surgeon will be doig
    Mission surgery,all next week in Bulgaria! SERIOUSLY!?!?!?! Is this REALLY happening?!?!
    Last edited by jerseyot; 03-31-2012, 09:37 PM.
    1993/1995: PSF w/ Harrington rods T3-L4
    Jan. 24, 2012: ALIF of L4-L5, L5-S1 w/ cage spacer and BMP
    Jan. 31, 2012: PLIF of L1-S1 w/ pelvic anchors
    Scheduled Nov.15, 2012: Fusion T2-S1 w/ pelvic anchors to fix T12 fracture
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ot/myback2.jpg - BEFORE
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT2342x406.jpg - AFTER
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT1410x229.jpg - AFTER
    www.jerseyot.blogspot.com

I am so sorry that this has happened to you.
    You are in my prayers
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Michele

I am so sorry this happened....sounds very painful. Try to take it easy for now, you know that we always pull through in the end.....things always work out.

You are no stranger to pain....

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Sorry to read this shocking news. I hope they are able to make you comfortable. How did it happen?
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Do you know what part of the vertebra fractured?
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

You poor thing, how aweful! I was wondering if you knew what happened as well. Do you have to remain in the hospital until your doctor returns, or are they going to brace you and release you and let you decide IF you want surgery again? Does your doc think you NEED surgery, or is he giving you the option? I'm soooo SORRY! Very gentle (((hugs))).
            Be happy!
            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
            but we are alive today!

Comment

So sorry to hear this...
              Dang.
              I feel your stress and frustration coming through in your post. When will your doc be coming back from Bulgaria?
              If you have to have surgery, it shouldn't be as extensive as what you just went through in January. My thoughts and prayers are with you ;-)
              May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

So sorry to hear of your troubles. A friend of mine fell on her back when her dog tripped her up and shattered 2 or 3 vertebrae in her thoracic spine and was put in a brace. She was in the hospital for a few days and in the brace for at least 8 weeks and her vertebrae healed just fine without surgery. Wish I could remember the exact specifics, but I don't.
                Sally
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Michele--
                  Oh, you poor thing--this is terrible! I wish I had a good answer for you. Please rest and we will all be praying for a positive outcome for you with this. So sorry. Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I am so sorry!! I hope you are getting some relief from the pain and that it can just repair itself while wearing the brace.

((Hugs))

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I have no idea what type of break you have, but my grandmother fractured one vertebrae that was able to be repaired minimally invasively with an injection of some type of cement type thing. I know, sounds crazy, right? But it drastically reduced her pain and it was easy. Bottom line, I'm hoping there's an easy solution out there for you that will get you out of pain quickly!!
                      age 48
                      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                        I have no idea what type of break you have, but my grandmother fractured one vertebrae that was able to be repaired minimally invasively with an injection of some type of cement type thing. I know, sounds crazy, right? But it drastically reduced her pain and it was easy. Bottom line, I'm hoping there's an easy solution out there for you that will get you out of pain quickly!!
                        That's why I asked what part of the vertebra broke. Kyphoplasty or vertebroplasty are really simple surgeries, with routinely excellent results.

--Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi! I am so sorry that happened! So are they going to need to do surgery again? I am still in bed and in alot of pain. I wanted to keep in touch with you so we can see how we are healing. How are your kids? This must be really stressful on you and them. I love ya and know I am thinking about you.

Comment

Oh Michele - I'm so sorry to see this! How did it happen? Praying for healing & relief for you.
                            Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
                            Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
                            Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
                            Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
                            photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

How are you doing?

Hi Michele,

I have been thinking of you and worried that you have not posted. I hope you are doing ok, and please update us when you can.
                              Gayle, age 50
                              Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                              Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                              Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                              2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                              2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Working...
                              X