More meds vs. Heated throw???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More meds vs. Heated throw???

Okay all, two weeks post-op here. Every day about 5-6 Pm I get this feeling like the muscles in my back are all arching backward. I literally look 6 months pregnant because I can't stand any straighter. I was getting ready to call dr. Lenses' nurse and beg for a higher dose of oxicontin (I'm on 20mg 2x per day), when I tried laying on this heated throw. It loosened me up enough to make it tolerable enough to hold out for my next Valium, or whatever it was. So, my question is, does heat in any way interfere with the fusion process? Cause if not I have just found my new best friend in my throw.

Thanks,
    Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Hi When I was in rehab after my surgery, they always used heat on me so I would not think it should be a problem
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Moist heat

Heat is terrific! My PT used moist heat the last 15 or so minutes of my sessions with her. It was fantastic.
      50 years old!!!!!
      Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
      Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
      Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
      Surgery 07/11/2011
      Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Hi Evelyn,

I have been so anxious to hear how you have been and your journey for the
        past 2 weeks. I have wondered if a heating pad is helpful post op
        as I can't live without mine now. So good to hear from you. Hang in there and
        hopefully you can get some relief soon. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Pam
        Pam, age 49
        Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
        April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
        T-3 to sacrum

Comment

I still love my heat pad! Use it for a bit before I go to sleep most nights. It just makes the lower back feel better for me. I was never a fan of ice. I have no idea if it would effect fusion--I really doubt it though. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
            Okay all, two weeks post-op here. Every day about 5-6 Pm I get this feeling like the muscles in my back are all arching backward. I literally look 6 months pregnant because I can't stand any straighter. I was getting ready to call dr. Lenses' nurse and beg for a higher dose of oxicontin (I'm on 20mg 2x per day), when I tried laying on this heated throw. It loosened me up enough to make it tolerable enough to hold out for my next Valium, or whatever it was. So, my question is, does heat in any way interfere with the fusion process? Cause if not I have just found my new best friend in my throw.

Thanks,
            Evelyn
            I used to get that arching back as well. I was given much more lordosis (mine had disappeared over the years) and I think it was a matter of getting used to the new feeling and by day's end, your muscles are tireder, I would imagine. At the same time, my tummy was protruding so I think I know what you're feeling. If it's the same thing, it goes away in time as you a) get used to the extra lordosis and b) the tummy swelling goes down and c) your muscles strengthen.

The warm throw is SUCH a great way to ease pain.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Evelyn,
              I used a heated blanket for several months and it seemed to have a soothing effect with me.
              It feels weird to have a lordosis that is inflexible, but you will eventually get used to it I had a lot of stomach bloating for several months and could not hold my stomach in and it felt like I had way too much lordosis. I still commented on it at my 6 month check up. Eventually, my stomach muscles returned and my stomach is flatter now.
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                Evelyn,
                I used a heated blanket for several months and it seemed to have a soothing effect with me.
                It feels weird to have a lordosis that is inflexible, but you will eventually get used to it I had a lot of stomach bloating for several months and could not hold my stomach in and it felt like I had way too much lordosis. I still commented on it at my 6 month check up. Eventually, my stomach muscles returned and my stomach is flatter now.
                Sorry to butt in here where I probably don't belong. But I was just thinking that it must feel really strange to have an inflexible lordosis. I guess I hadn't thought much about that, especially the effect it would have on your abdominal muscles. I'm glad you got used to it and are doing really well!

Same for you, Jennifer. I didn't see your post.

Rohrer01
                Last edited by rohrer01; 03-31-2012, 12:03 AM.
                Be happy!
                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                but we are alive today!

Comment

I am at seven months post surgery now.

I have not used anything heated on my back simply because since I can't feel anything on my skin, I get nervous about burning myself. Okay, that is probably paranoia working at its best (looking back)....the logic is if your normal skin doesn't feel too hot, you aren't hurting the skin on your back. I'll blame the drugs for not hitting and acting on that logic. :-)

Best wishes and prayers for you as you continue to recover, Evelyn.
                  Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                  Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                  Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                  Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                  The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                  Before and after xrays:
                  http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Working...
                  X