Life Returns to Normal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys,

I'm just 2 weeks post op today. And, yes, I DID enjoy my first shower!

Doreen, I have that small hump, right at the top of my hardware. About where a crewneck shirt line would fall. I am thinking I must have some mild kyphosis above that, which makes it appear more prominent. Ironically, the only other place I can feel the hardware is the very bottom--right by my tailbone. I joked with my husband that maybe I should gain 20 lbs, so these little things wouldn't be noticeable.

Karen, I do so like the idea of feeling normal again. I know it will be a while, but I am okay with that.

Question: How long were you able to sit up early in your recovery. I'm getting into pretty bad pain by 15 min. I seem to be able to lie down and walk almost indefinitely, but sitting is a real pain in the a@&. Literally. Is that normal? Thanks!

Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I'm going back to my surgeon in April, hopefully to discuss surgery - i will probably schedule it for Nov timeframe, like when I did my cervical spine in 2011. It's a relatively "slow" time at work ... As for neck humps: I have a posterior neck hump- I hate it, I think it's from the C spine fusing - so the Cspine no longer rotates, but the thoracic spine does rotate- so the junction sticks out. Very un-attractive but my hair is shoulder length, and I keep it that length because: #1 - I feel it hides the shoulder disparity and #2- now it hides the neck hump. HA! who am I kidding? LOL
      57 years old.
      thoracic curve 68 degrees
      lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
      Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
      Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
      THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

Janet,
        I had to chuckle when I read that a book has occasionally hit you in the face when you fall asleep. It's happened to me several times as well. I had better stick with paperback books.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

so happy for you guys doing so well...
          Janet...the image of you sitting on the floor and tipping over had me giggling...and i am not
          even a giggler!!
          i kinda figurd none of you would be slouching ever again...
          are you guys what servicemen might call "ramrod straight"??
          Karen..sounds like you have a new, straighter "normal"

jess...& Sparky

Comment

Karen--Yes, hard back novels can be deadly.

Jess--The image is bad! That keeps me out of yoga classes and in zumba.
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
              Hi guys,

I'm just 2 weeks post op today. And, yes, I DID enjoy my first shower!

Doreen, I have that small hump, right at the top of my hardware. About where a crewneck shirt line would fall. I am thinking I must have some mild kyphosis above that, which makes it appear more prominent. Ironically, the only other place I can feel the hardware is the very bottom--right by my tailbone. I joked with my husband that maybe I should gain 20 lbs, so these little things wouldn't be noticeable.

Karen, I do so like the idea of feeling normal again. I know it will be a while, but I am okay with that.

Question: How long were you able to sit up early in your recovery. I'm getting into pretty bad pain by 15 min. I seem to be able to lie down and walk almost indefinitely, but sitting is a real pain in the a@&. Literally. Is that normal? Thanks!

Evelyn
              How wonderful... your first shower!! :-) Sitting early in my recovery was very painful and 15 min was about my limit for a few weeks. I believe it is normal. Things got better with each passing week and now I can sit through a 2.5 hour movie comfortably as long as I am in the straight back chair.

Warmly,
              Doreen
              44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
              Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
              2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                so happy for you guys doing so well...
                Janet...the image of you sitting on the floor and tipping over had me giggling...and i am not
                even a giggler!!
                i kinda figurd none of you would be slouching ever again...
                are you guys what servicemen might call "ramrod straight"??
                Karen..sounds like you have a new, straighter "normal"

jess...& Sparky
                Hi Jess,

Someone just recently asked me how long will I be ramrod straight. My response, "Forever," with a big smile on my face. :-D
                44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Evelyn,
                  I couldn't sit comfortably for very long during the first month or so. I think that's why I walked so much! I also seemed to find relief in laying on my back and taking afternoon naps.
                  Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Hi All,
                    So happy and excited for you, Karen and Doreen, and all who have a new life post surgery. I am extremely happy with my results too, especially knowing that my future looks much brighter than if I had not had surgery.
                    Karen, what's a non-union? Inquiring minds want to know! Or do they?
                    Age 58
                    Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
                    original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
                    fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Comment

Nancy,
                      I thought that a non-union was the same as pseudarthrosis which can result in rods breaking which I have read about in the "Revision Section". This is the definition that I just found:

"Nonunion is permanent failure of healing following a broken bone.

Nonunion is a serious complication of a fracture and may occur when the fracture moves too much, has a poor blood supply or gets infected. Patients who smoke have a higher incidence of nonunion. The normal process of bone healing is interrupted or stalled. In some cases a pseudo-joint (pseudarthrosis) develops between the two fragments with cartilage formation and a joint cavity. More commonly the tissue between the ununited fragments is scar tissue.

Since the process of bone healing is quite variable, a nonunion may go on to heal without intervention in a very few cases. In general, if a nonunion is still evident at 6 months post injury it will remain unhealed without specific treatment, usually orthopedic surgery. A non-union which does go on to heal is called a delayed union."
                      Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

thank you, Karen!
                        Age 58
                        Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
                        original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
                        fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I am now seven months post surgery.

In answer to the books hitting you in the face as you fall asleep, the answer is iPAD! :-) Pretty light weight, but I guess the edges are a bit sharper than a book's. :-)

To Jamie's question about slouching--you don't slouch. You can't. I am finding in the past couple months I am getting more flexible. I can now empty the lower part of the dishwasher--couldn't reach it the first three or four months. Picking something off the floor would have turned into a Laurel and Hardy moment with the chance of hurting myself. Love those grabbers....still use them occasionally.

I still have a bit of a rib hump on the right side and I find there are chairs that I simply cannot sit back against without discomfort within about five minutes. Some chairs are okay. Ergonomic (sp?) chairs are totally out for me now--with the spine being held in place by the rods and screws, there is no "give" so I can't sit back.

To this day I have a nice soft pillow on the back of my office chair. It helps me sit up straighter and its nice and soft so I am comfortable. I still have to get up and walk around for a short period of time about every hour, but you should do that even without any surgery. It's good for you!

I also found that for a while some of my brain cells were sluggish...it worried me a bit, but now at seven months post surgery, I seem to be getting back to what I consider my normal sense of intelligence and memory.

For taking a bath, I purchased a bath pillow set with foam in them....its the only way I can lean back and soak a bit.

Sorry for the rambling....just wanted to relay life at seven months post surgery.
                          Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                          Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                          Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                          Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                          The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                          Before and after xrays:
                          http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Where did you find the bath pillow? That sounds good to me. I have an Ipad but it was a couple of years old. I know the newer ones are lighter. I am planning to get a reader of some kind mainly because I can't find a decent nightlight for reading that doesn't bother my husband. I've bought some clip on lights but haven't really found a good one.
                            Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                            Now 66
                            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

I forgot to congratulate you on being 7 months post-op. It sounds like you are doing really well!
                              Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                              Now 66
                              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

The pillow I bought looks like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Sleep-I...218228&sr=8-30

I found my at Bed Bath and Beyond, don't see it online though through their store.

It doesn't always behave itself and the suction cups don't always hold--but actually if you google bath pillows there are LOTS of designs. I know I can't sit and relax in a tub without that to lean against.

What's nice about the iPad and reading at night is the screen is lit up--so you can probably read away while husband snoozes. Or you can go whole hog, get some nice Bose headphones and watch movies/tv shows on the iPad as well. I love the iPad. The newest IPad has better resolution. Not sure how important that is.

The only caveat I am finding is being able to walk super long distances--I pretty much am done in after two miles.

Otherwise I think the recoop is going pretty well.

One thing funny--everyone talks about the stomach kind of sticking out more after surgery. Yep, I have the same problem--and it's right at the same level where my ID badge hangs from the lanyard--so as I walk it starts bouncing off my stomach...very annoying. I have to hold my badge in front of me so it doesn't go in to full swing of beating me while I walk. :-)
                                Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                                Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                                Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                                Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                                The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                                Before and after xrays:
                                http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Working...
                                X