Life Returns to Normal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life Returns to Normal

Most of you who have been active with the forum for the past year or more know that I had serious reservations about having this surgery and needed the support and encouragement from this forum to take the plunge. I seriously doubted that my life would ever be the same after surgery, but didn't want to continue to worry that my curve would eventually cause serious problems as well as make me even more self conscious of my appearance. Since I have had surgery, I feel so much more confident in new clothing that is not loose fitting and still receive compliments from people who I even see on a regular basis. I am doing a little yard work and housework, occasionally dancing with my husband, performing with my tap dancing class, riding my bike, playing 18 holes of golf every chance I get, and substitute teaching when I have time. I have hope that my golf scores will improve, but I'm pleased with how I'm hitting the ball even though not quite as far as before. I love being back on beautiful golf courses with my friends and my husband. Please know that I am not gloating, but want to express gratitude for all of you and my surgeon. Maybe it's the beautiful spring weather that has me so euphoric today . . . In the back of my mind, I still occasionally think about the possibility of a nonunion, but certainly hope that doesn't happen, as we all do.

Best of luck to all of you with surgeries scheduled in the upcomig months.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Wonderful!

Karen, it's so great to hear that you are doing incredibly well just over a year post op. You have a much longer fusion than I do and it gives me hope that I will be able to do everything I used to do(I'm getting there!) when I'm a year post op.
    Thanks for sharing your euphoria^^
    50 years old!!!!!
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
    Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
    Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
    Surgery 07/11/2011
    Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

I'm tagging along behind you ladies! :-) I saw my second movie postop last night and how wonderful it is to be a participant in life rather than an observer I had become months leading up to my surgery (debilitating pain kept me in bed 75% of my days). I talked with one of the doctors in St. Louis today who is managing the Bridwell/Lenke study I'm part of. He asked, "Are you pleased with the outcome of your surgery?" My response, "Hell ya!" He got a good laugh out of that and said, "I'm putting down your exact response on the form." He went ahead and scheduled me for my 1 year postop appointment. I'll be back in St. Louis May 16, 2012 and Feb 20, 2013. Life is grand!

Warmly,
      Doreen
      44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
      Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
      2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Doreen,
        I love your response "Hell, ya!" My husband still wants to meet you to drink dirty martinis sometime!
        Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
          Doreen,
          I love your response "Hell, ya!" My husband still wants to meet you to drink dirty martinis sometime!
          How about evening of May 15? ;-)

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

Perfect!!!! I will write it on the calendar and we'll figure out a time and place. I am excited to meet you and Jeremy.
            Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Karen--
              You are an inspiration to a lot of people on here! Good going! So pleased for you.

Doreen--
              It sounds like you are doing extremely well too.

Continued good luck to you both. Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

"Life returns to normal." That's just the sort of inspiration anyone facing this surgery will want to read Karen! Congratulations. Enjoy your beautiful golf courses, your dancing and everything else you enjoy.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I'm very happy for you!
                  Chris
                  A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                  Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                  Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                  Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

but how do you slouch ????

Hi Karen, loved reading about your new normal... but I wonder: how do you slouch? What do you do when you want to sit back and SINK into a comfy chair? Or read in bed, propped up against a stack of pillows? I do that often, to stretch my spine and I wonder :"how will I do this post op ?" when I have a solid fusion- it must hurt, it must ache and be so tiring to always be erect. <sigh> I am living with the pain, and I expect I will still have pain post-op ; deep aches -like when it is going to rain, my body hurts so badly. But I will move forward, I will schedule this surgery because I want to stabilize my curves, and maybe lessen the pain. but how do you "slouch" now, post-op? LOL! Feel free to jump in , Doreen and share your experiecne too! xxx Jamie in TX
                    57 years old.
                    thoracic curve 68 degrees
                    lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
                    Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
                    Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
                    THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

Originally posted by scooter950 View Post
                      Hi Karen, loved reading about your new normal... but I wonder: how do you slouch? What do you do when you want to sit back and SINK into a comfy chair? Or read in bed, propped up against a stack of pillows? I do that often, to stretch my spine and I wonder :"how will I do this post op ?" when I have a solid fusion- it must hurt, it must ache and be so tiring to always be erect. <sigh> I am living with the pain, and I expect I will still have pain post-op ; deep aches -like when it is going to rain, my body hurts so badly. But I will move forward, I will schedule this surgery because I want to stabilize my curves, and maybe lessen the pain. but how do you "slouch" now, post-op? LOL! Feel free to jump in , Doreen and share your experiecne too! xxx Jamie in TX
                      I'm living in the No-Slouch-Zone :-) I didn't think about slouching until now. It will be interesting to see Karen's response. I read in bed but lie flat with the book propped up on my chest, depending on the weight of the book. I don't get tired of being erect, a good portion of my back is still numb. I'm learning it's all about adaptability. When will you schedule your surgery?

Warmly,
                      Doreen

Comment

Originally posted by Doodles View Post
                        Karen--
                        You are an inspiration to a lot of people on here! Good going! So pleased for you.

Doreen--
                        It sounds like you are doing extremely well too.

Continued good luck to you both. Janet
                        Hi Janet,
                        Share with us what your life is like 2 years post op. :-)

Quick question for the Lenke Ladies. Jeremy noticed a few weeks ago a little "goose egg" appearing toward the top of my hardware just slightly to the right of my spine. It is less prevalent in the morning, but by the time I go to bed, it's pretty noticeable. I asked Kelly about it and she said it's probably a muscle laying at the top of a rod that is getting inflamed. Since my back is numb in that area, I don't feel any pain or sensations. Have any of you experienced this?

Warmly,
                        Doreen

Comment

Clarifying my &quot;new normal&quot;

To everyone,
                          I have felt "normal" for a long time, but just being able to play 18 holes of golf and tap dance the same day was an "above average" day for me. Those were two of my favorite activities that I didn't know if I would ever be able to do again after surgery. If you go to Shutterfly in my signature, you can see a picture of me tap dancing 10 months after surgery and golfing 13 months post-op. Once I could drive the car by myself, go shopping, walk my dogs, walk for several miles, seldom take even Tylenol, teach school, life was great and pretty much back to normal. I just wasn't given permission to play golf until I was a year post-op, so that's my latest celebration. For those of you in the early stages of recovery, try to celebrate each and every accomplishment as you recover (i.e.-no longer needing various aides (sock aide, portable toilet seat, pain pills, etc.)

Scooter,
                          I do not slouch, but really didn't enjoy slouching before surgery, so I don't mind at all. I still am most comfortable with a pillow behind my back in the car and when sitting on our couch. I feel like the rods and screws are basically an internal brace and that they are keeping my vertebrae in line and separated and giving me support. Therefore, I am much more comforatable than before surgery when sitting for long periods and especially when standing. I am comfortable leaning back on some chairs, while others I might just sit more upright. It just depends upon how the chair fits my back.
                          Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Jamie,
                            I forgot to mention that I also like to read in bed before falling asleep, but I don't use any pillows at all unless I'm sitting up pretty straight. I lay completely flat and prop the book up on pillows on my stomach. I don't know if it really makes a difference or not, but I don't sleep with a pillow either because I am afraid I will develop kyphosis if my head is propped up on a pillow. (That's just my idea-no one has told me not to use a pillow)

Doreen,
                            I have not noticed the lump that you mentioned.
                            Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                            Now 66
                            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Karen's description of reading in bed is exactly what I do too. I have to have just the right pillows on my stomach to prop up the book. I have had a few occasions of falling asleep to be awakened by a book falling on my face.
                              I'm actually 3 years as of March 30th. I really do extremely well. Compared to some cosmetically mine isn't as great due to a rib hump (better than pre-surgery) and still some rotation. I know if I hadn't had it done it would have been LOTS worse. I had just retired so didn't need to worry about going back to teaching--at this age I don't think I could have. Which reminds me I should change my signature to 60 before it's 61 in a couple months--darn! I do lots of exercising--zumba is the best. I still get my husband to vacuum now since that for some reason causes difficulty. (If that changes I'm not telling.) I worked a couple hours in the yard a few days ago and sort of messed myself up though. Since I can't bend, I kneel down and I think the up and down sort of does me in. I may have to stop that. But--I'm older than most of you guys! Overall, you learn to compensate for some of the flexibility things and it's no big deal. For example, tie shoes with foot propped on the bathtub or kneel down. There are other options too. Would love to say I can do yoga again but I get on the floor with legs out and tip over! None of this is bad when I think from whence I came! Janet
                              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                              X