Surgery Next Week!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
    Yes, Kevin, you are accumulating lots of "brownie points" as Jennifer said. My husband was the self proclaimed "Husband of the Year", so when I was six months post-op we had a party and I presented him with a plaque.
    I love that idea!
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Suzanne is exactly 2 weeks behind me in St Louis, though I think she had Bridwell(?) and I had Lenke. Please tell her sitting is the bane of my existence, as well! Kelly told me she wants me to sit up an hour at a time. I'm having trouble with 10 min!

Also, OT never showed me how to get in and out of the car. Any tips there? I have just been trying to sit sideways, then sort of swing my legs and shoulders in at the same time. I fear I am twisting unintentionally all the time (especially in my sleep), but what can you do? I'm trying to stay straight! Anyway, tell her to post when she can. I would love to share experiences.

Thanks,
      Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Evelyn,
        I got a "Fusion Booklet" from Dr. Lenke's office that had directions and pictures on how to get in and out of the car. I'll send you an email.

Doreen,
        John was totally surprised and had tears. I also gave him a chef's apron (since he grills almost every night) with his name, "Husband of the Year" and 2011. I warned him (joking) that since there were six months left in the year that the awards could be taken away at any time.

Suzanne,
        I had trouble sitting for very long periods at first. The good news about it was that I was ready to take lots of walks instead. Even at a year, I had a tender tailbone after sitting for 30 minutes or more on our couch. I thought it would be forever, but it doesn't bother me at all any more. Standing for long periods of time was an issue before surgery and I think I could stand for as long as I would need to now.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

All this talk about difficulty with sitting for long periods, even at a year, makes me wonder how those cope
          with returning to all day desk jobs even at 6-9 months??? And I will be one of them. Yikes!
          Pam, age 49
          Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
          April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
          T-3 to sacrum

Comment

I need to clarify that I wasn't having any trouble sitting at a year, but that my tailbone was just slightly tender. It was not any type of pain that would have kept me from sitting if I had a desk job.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
              Yes, Kevin, you are accumulating lots of "brownie points" as Jennifer said. My husband was the self proclaimed "Husband of the Year", so when I was six months post-op we had a party and I presented him with a plaque.
              Love that idea! Wish I'd thought to do it.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Monday's Update

Hi Again Folks,

Just a quick evening update to say that Suzanne was discharged from the hospital earlier today.

Once at the hotel, we moved in and promptly went for a short walk. Suzanne is determined to put some serious miles on her new walker. I'm not too proud to say that I then washed Suzanne's hair (first real hair wash in a week) and I'm not sure I've ever provided her with as much joy. After a soup and salad dinner brought in from Panera bread, we are now watching Kentucky roll in the Nat'l Champ hoops game.

We have the pill schedule down but are working through best seating arrangements in the room. Suzanne is already missing the adjustable bed but we'll figure things out.

As I can hardly keep my eyes open after the week that was, I'll sign off now. This will probably be my lasy entry and I expect Suzanne will take over for her own update starting tomorrow. Without formal physical therapy and vital signs being taken every hour, she'll need something to do. Again, Suzanne and I appreciate all of your positive feedback and words of support. We will continue to work together to make her stronger and healthier than she was before this long week began and are confident that she's well on her way.
                44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't know how long you are going to be in the hotel room but you can get a hospital bed delivered from a medical supply store.

Glad that you are feeling so good
                  Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Great news, including the pleasure you gave Suzanne with her hair-wash! You've come a long way in that week. I've enjoyed your commentary and wish you both well in the coming weeks at home.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Congratulations!

Sounds like you made it over the first big hurdle with flying colors! (Both of you!) Keep up the good work, and keep us posted. I'm 2 weeks away......
                      Betsy age 55
                      Atlanta
                      Milwaukee brace 1966-1972
                      Surgery April 17, 2012
                      fuse T4-sacrum & osteotomy

Comment

Rash

Hi everyone! Sorry, a bit loopy currently but am now concerned about a red spotty rash all over my back! Looks like chicken pox, is very itchy. Am very concerned about hardware or bmp allergy! They wante to take Benadryl twice and then come in tomorrow @ 730. Anybody have anything similar??

Comment

Is it ONLY on your back? Some of the meds can cause all over itchiness. Also, I am allergic to steri strips, and they cause small red itchy bumps for me. (I guess it's the adhesive in the strips.) I really hope it's nothing serious. I will pray for you!

Best,
                          Evelyn
                          age 48
                          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Rash

They thought my rash might be shingles at first which scared me to death. But it ended being some inexplicable rash. Took a long time to go away. Fortunately, it never itched or burned.
                            50 years old!!!!!
                            Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
                            Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
                            Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
                            Surgery 07/11/2011
                            Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Hi Everyone!
                              OK...so the rash: It really looks like I have chicken pox all over my back. Anyway, I emailed the nurse a pic of it (don't you just love technology) and she wanted me to come in this morning and have Dr B take a look at it. So we made some med adjustments - hard to travel when you are at a "trough" on the med regimen- and we were at his office at 7:30 this morning. He wanted x-rays and the whole kit and caboodle.

Anyway, long story short, he feels this is a contact dermatitis of some type, and likely one from hotel sheets. I didn't get the rash until the day we got to the hotel, although it was a bit itchy and uncomfortable back there prior to that.....so anyway, we are adding Benadryl to the pill cocktail I am taking and hopefully it will resolve He says that these things take time to resolve and it may fluctuate better/worse before it completely goes away. He did not seem at all concerned about a hardware or BMP allergy at all, which was a relief. He feels the best thing for me now is to get home to familiar detergents, soaps etc, soo.....he cut me loose! He canceled the Monday appt we have an we are about to hit the road home. I came back to the hotel and took a long nap after breakfast and Kevin spent a couple of hours packing up around me. He is currently packing the car. We will try to drive as far as Nashville today and stay at the same hotel we did on our way up here. It is about a 4.5 hr drive, so hopefully all will go as planned and we will be there late afternoon.

OH! BTW, my height measured 5'9.5" today - a full inch taller than last week! My x-rays look very bizarre, kind of hard to believe that is me. I will try to post them (before/after) sometime in the future, but the pics are on Kevin's phone and I need to get them to my computer first. I definitely look straighter, although not completely straight, which is what he had predicted.

Better run and supervise the pack-up! A beautiful blue clear sunny day here in SL, but anxious to be home!

Comment

Twisted--
                                You must be so excited to go home. Keep the meds close and be sure to stop every hour or so and walk around. Hope the trip goes OK and your rash is resolved soon. You'll be ready for a very long nap when you get home. Janet
                                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                                X