Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
      Hi guys, I'm back! I'm in that study, too. If it's the one I think, you have to have 80+degree curves to qualify.

Anyway, one point I'll add about pre-op jitters. Mine never did go away. But I kept reminding myself what would happen if I didn't have the surgery. Most likely debilitating pain, possible osteoporosis (I have osteopenia now), and who knows whether I would have gotten a second chance with dr. Lenke. Then there were all the scheduling nightmares to consider.

Honestly, I was in tears up until the point where they put me under (and I'm not normally a cryer), but deep, deep down, I guess I just resigned myself to the fact that it had to be done. The good news is, the surgery itself is easy. You don't feel them putting you under, and then you wake up several hours later with someone telling you tommove your toes. I'm not sure how much all this helps, except to say: think about the risks you would be taking by NOT having the surgery.

Best wishes,
      Evelyn
      Hi Evelyn

Are you home yet? I hope so. The Lenke study I'm in is to gauge how patients respond to either having surgery or not having surgery in terms of how their pain changes or doesn't change. I did not have 80 degree curves so maybe u are in a different study?

Welcome to the other side!

Warmly
      Doreen
      44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
      Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
      2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes, it's me!

Hi all,

Yes, it's me and I'm home!!!!!! I tried to post a big, long blow-by-blow of everything that happened. But between me working on an iPhone (can't sit up for long yet) and all the post-op medication, I think I never got it posted. Anyway, long story short I am home and doing well. I am in pain, especially sitting, but coping. Doing my little walks, taking my meds, stretching my legs, using the spirometer and napping a lot. I will write a longer message on my usual thread when I am up to it. Nap time now.

Btw, I did get 1.5 inches taller. Now if I could just get rid of that 4-5 months pregnant look. Oh, and washing the hair might help, too.

I want to figure out how to change my username to "straightenedoutmom." what do you think?

Best,
        Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Glad that you are home and are doing OK
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Suzanne,
            I've been thinking about you the past several days, wondering how you're doing with the anticipation. Let us know how you are!
            Betsy
            Betsy age 55
            Atlanta
            Milwaukee brace 1966-1972
            Surgery April 17, 2012
            fuse T4-sacrum & osteotomy

Comment

to Rockycarm

Originally posted by rockycarm View Post
              Hi All,

I was just reading all of your posts and thank you too for your input. Today I received my appointments for pre-op testing, mri, ekg, pft, bone, density, blood donation. I am scheduled May 16th and have been doing fairly well up to this point. Seeing this I think has put me over and feeling a bit emotional right now. I have been really trying to stay positive and thought I was until today. HELP! Will I feel like this to the day of? How do I get that calm feeling. I am spiritual and have been praying quite a bit which has helped. I don't want to be an emotional mess.
              How are you doing after the weekend? I'm scheduled for April 17, so hopefully in early May I can tell you something that will help. For now I'm so caught up in preparing my house, (maybe that's to keep my mind busy, too)it's almost like I've forgotten what I'm preparing for. I think I've convinced myself I'm arranging the house for someone else!
              Each step, like when I realized it was only 4 weeks away, or when I got the FMLA paperwork from my HR person, I felt sick. I picture myself with knees too weak to walk into the hospital. At the same time I'm anxious for it to be over. Enough worry already! We've decided it's the best thing to do, so look ahead, and look forward to getting stronger.
              Betsy
              Betsy age 55
              Atlanta
              Surgery April 17, 2012

Comment

Hi...

I think they're two separate studies. The 80 degree + study is probably ScoliRISK-1 and the other one sounds like the Multicenter Prospective Study of Quality of Life in Adult Scoliosis (ASLS).

--Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Twisted RN are you online yet?

Hi, just following this thread, we're going all over the place it seems, but I was wondering if TwistedRn is back home? Is your name Evelyn? I don't remember seeing your name on your posts! well I bet you're still in the hospital, I hope your husband logs on and gives us an update! (And how is your puppy?)

BTW TiEd, loved the three stooges ! U r crazy! ;D Jamie
                  57 years old.
                  thoracic curve 68 degrees
                  lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
                  Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
                  Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
                  THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

Evelyn--
                    So glad you are on the other side and home! Sounds like things sound pretty typical so far. Take care and have a smooth recovery. Janet
                    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

hey "straightened mom"
                      welcome home..congratulations...
                      wishing you an uneventful and smooth recovery....

jess...& Sparky

Comment

to Rockycarm

Originally posted by BetsyK View Post
                        How are you doing after the weekend? I'm scheduled for April 17, so hopefully in early May I can tell you something that will help. For now I'm so caught up in preparing my house, (maybe that's to keep my mind busy, too)it's almost like I've forgotten what I'm preparing for. I think I've convinced myself I'm arranging the house for someone else!
                        Each step, like when I realized it was only 4 weeks away, or when I got the FMLA paperwork from my HR person, I felt sick. I picture myself with knees too weak to walk into the hospital. At the same time I'm anxious for it to be over. Enough worry already! We've decided it's the best thing to do, so look ahead, and look forward to getting stronger.
                        Betsy
                        I thought later that sounds a little harsh: "Enough worry" - I'm not saying that to you as much as that's what runs through my head. (You know that OTHER little voice that argues with you?) If we can just make it to surgery day, then the day after, and the week after...... everything will be much better! (there goes that voice again)
                        Betsy age 55
                        Atlanta
                        Surgery April 17, 2012

Comment

Surgery Updates

Suzanne asked me the other day to share her hubby's updates...

Kevin said the surgery is going as planned and is expecting another update soon.

Warmly,
                          Doreen

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

Kevin rec'd another update; almost all the screws are in and proceeding normally.

Comment

Out of Surgery

Kevin said Suzanne came through with flying colors and total surgery time was less than 7 hours. Suzanne was talking quietly, but swollen and tired and then was sleeping at 6:30p. Dr. Bridwell had a minor concern related to her lower back so Suzanne will not be standing tomorrow but will stay on her back for 24 hours. If all looks good tomorrow, she will get into the standing/stepping schedule.

Thanks for all of your thoughts, prayers, and support.--Kevin

Comment

Suzanne--
                                Sounds like you are doing quite well. Hang in there and just heal and recover! Janet
                                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                                X