Surgery Next Week!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Everyone!
    Thanks so much for all your great advice - I definitely plan to put it to good use. I am leaving for St Louis tomorrow morning, spending the night in Nashville to arrive in SL Sun. Mon is all my preOp stuff and Tues is the big day. I will definitely keep you all posted and will write more from SL. rockycarm - please don't let my rambling worry you!! I have good days and bad, like all of you. The past couple of days have actually been quite peaceful. I have been nervous, but almost kind of (and I hate to use this word) excited??? I mean, I am just so glad that it is finally here and about to be over with. I am glad that I am almost ready to get on with the rest of my life. Make sense? I liked the visual of imagining the rest of my life with a straight(er) and stronger back!
    The only downside is that I am having to leave my sweet dog of 9 years home, and sick. She has been urinating blood for 2 wks and antibiotics are not working. She will have an ultrasound next week and they are hoping (best case) it is stones or (worst case) a tumor. We both need your prayers next week! Thanks again for everyone's support - you guys are truly a Godsend.
    Suzanne

Comment

sending prayers!

Hi Twisted RN, I'm a nurse too and my dog had bladder stones too how strange we have that in common!

Well I have no advice, my surgery date is not set yet, but it sounds like everyone gave you good advice already. Ask the surgeon for po Valum so you can relax the night before surgery. maybe that will help? and please keep us posted! God bless and travel safe! Jamie in Texas
      57 years old.
      thoracic curve 68 degrees
      lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
      Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
      Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
      THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

Surgery next week.

Welcome to this forum! I can totally sympathize with you...as I will be having surgery this year.
        I'm 61, have a kyphosis & scoliosis. My spine has collapsed, and my ribs are now sitting on my hips. Very painful. This surgery is a "must", so prevent anymore collapse. I will be seeing my surgeon for another consult in May. I've been waiting for a long time...and that's the worst. So hopefully my surgery will be shortly after my consult...I hope. But whenever, it has to be done. I'm looking forward to my consult...another step closer. Like you, it frightens me...but after reading so many replies, & the advice offered here, I know I'll be ok.
        I pray that your surgery goes well. We'll all be looking forward to your next posting!
        Thinking of you!
        Kootenaygal

Comment

Originally posted by twistedRN View Post
          Hi Everyone!
          Thanks so much for all your great advice - I definitely plan to put it to good use. I am leaving for St Louis tomorrow morning, spending the night in Nashville to arrive in SL Sun. Mon is all my preOp stuff and Tues is the big day. I will definitely keep you all posted and will write more from SL. rockycarm - please don't let my rambling worry you!! I have good days and bad, like all of you. The past couple of days have actually been quite peaceful. I have been nervous, but almost kind of (and I hate to use this word) excited??? I mean, I am just so glad that it is finally here and about to be over with. I am glad that I am almost ready to get on with the rest of my life. Make sense? I liked the visual of imagining the rest of my life with a straight(er) and stronger back!
          The only downside is that I am having to leave my sweet dog of 9 years home, and sick. She has been urinating blood for 2 wks and antibiotics are not working. She will have an ultrasound next week and they are hoping (best case) it is stones or (worst case) a tumor. We both need your prayers next week! Thanks again for everyone's support - you guys are truly a Godsend.
          Suzanne
          Suzanne, It sounds like you are in a good place mentally. I am sorry to hear about your dog, been there too. It's like having another child for sure. My prayers to you all - may time pass quickly. I want to tell you all that I feel much better because of all of you, so again thank you all for being here.

Comment

Just wanted to chime in on those going in.....remember, deep breaths! things are going to be fine.

Always have a positive attitude. Never think back, always look forward.....think healing thoughts.

And since there are a few nurses here, be thankful that medical science has improved so much from the old days.....here is a pic of the old days..... Chuckle, chuckle

Ed
            Attached Files
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Suzanne, prayers for you and puppy too....
              may you both be fine...

jess

Comment

twistedRN: So nice to see you here!! I hope you can feel all the love and support coming your way from those of us who have "made it to the other side"! I have one more silly thing to add that I did to help me calm down. I pretended that it was 2 weeks post op, and wrote daily journal entries starting with the night before surgery. It sounds funny, but it helped me to visualize details about waking up and being in the hospital, daily progress in my recovery, and homecoming. Of course it was all best case scenario (!)
                Looking forward to hearing great news on Tuesday!
                Nancy
                Age 58
                Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
                original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
                fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Comment

Suzanne--
                  Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way. Best wishes. We'll be anxious to hear how you did. You'll do great! Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

In Nashville

Hi Everyone,
                    I was so looking forward to logging on tonight and hearing from all my new pals! Thanks again for all the wonderful advice and support. We are in Nashville and spent some quality time browsing through a great mall today (my hubby is being unusually accomodating to such things this past week, ha!). Didn't buy much but it did take my mind off of things for a while. Tomorrow we'll drive the rest of the way to St Louis and settle in to the Residence Inn. I heard the other day that on Monday my schedule will be as follows : meet with the doc at 7, cardiology at 8:30, anesthesia at 9:30 and central line at 10:30. Someplace in there I am also supposed to be doing a treadmill test because I am part of an adult scoliosis study...not sure when that is happening? I am tentatively thinking about hitting a late aft/early evening show of Hunger Games on Monday night to keep me focused on something other than what is happening on Tuesday...I'll be in touch!
                    Suzanne

Comment

Thanks for keeping us posted, Suzanne!! Will be (and have been!) thinking about you!
                      50 years old!!!!!
                      Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
                      Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
                      Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
                      Surgery 07/11/2011
                      Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

It's all been said above. But, I'll reiterate a few things.

Listening to the Huddleston CD before surgery and after was really helpful for me. Having your iPod with music in the hospital is really all you need. Somehow, with all the drugs, it isn't easy to concentrate.

All you have to do is "show up" for the surgery. You've chosen a great team. It isn't easy but, "Let them fly the plane." It was difficult for me to "surrender" my control, but I did it and I'm glad.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Good luck!!
                        Irene
                        1996 x-rays (none read recently) 50 degrees thoracic, 40 degrees lumbar
                        Never braced, found out I had scoliosis at age 28
                        At time of surgery, multi-level disc spondylotic degeneration,
                        advanced lumbar degeneration, stenosis
                        65 years young and very active but no lengthy walks or standing without pain
                        Now, 67. walking and standing as much as I want
                        Surgery Dec. 7, 2010
                        T10-S1 posterior
                        Dr. Rand
                        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston,
                        http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee369/itr1/

Comment

Suzanne,

I am in the "Treadmill Study" as well. I think Doreen might be, also. I just got a letter yesterday telling me to wear tennis shoes to my 2 year appointment so that I can do the treadmill, again.

I think Jennifer nails great advice possible 100% of the time. In fact, I was thinking tonight that she should author a book with questions and answers about scoliosis surgery using all of her posts from this forum.

I want to read "Hunger Games" now that I've heard so much about it. Let me know what you think of the movie.

Best of luck with your surgery. We'll look forward to hearing from you "from the other side."
                          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                          Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Age-60 at the time of surgery
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                            Suzanne,

I am in the "Treadmill Study" as well. I think Doreen might be, also. I just got a letter yesterday telling me to wear tennis shoes to my 2 year appointment so that I can do the treadmill, again.

I think Jennifer nails great advice possible 100% of the time. In fact, I was thinking tonight that she should author a book with questions and answers about scoliosis surgery using all of her posts from this forum.

I want to read "Hunger Games" now that I've heard so much about it. Let me know what you think of the movie.

Best of luck with your surgery. We'll look forward to hearing from you "from the other side."
                            Yup, I'm participating in the Bridwell/Lenke study too. Lizzie has the Hunger Games trilogy which I read last Sep/Oct. I was shocked at how I couldn't put the books down! Lizzie was on a Girls Retreat in Charleston SC this weekend and she got home too late to catch the movie tonight so we'll see it tomorrow. Jennifer Lawrence, actress who plays Katniss, was trained by a female Olympic athlete; Lizzie is a member of the Junior Olympic Archery program and has been trained in the same style. This will be my second postop movie. :-)

Warmly,
                            Doreen
                            44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                            Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                            2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                              Suzanne,

I did not see the movie but my 17 year old son did. He was very impressed with how much of the book came thru into the movie
                              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Hi guys, I'm back! I'm in that study, too. If it's the one I think, you have to have 80+degree curves to qualify.

Anyway, one point I'll add about pre-op jitters. Mine never did go away. But I kept reminding myself what would happen if I didn't have the surgery. Most likely debilitating pain, possible osteoporosis (I have osteopenia now), and who knows whether I would have gotten a second chance with dr. Lenke. Then there were all the scheduling nightmares to consider.

Honestly, I was in tears up until the point where they put me under (and I'm not normally a cryer), but deep, deep down, I guess I just resigned myself to the fact that it had to be done. The good news is, the surgery itself is easy. You don't feel them putting you under, and then you wake up several hours later with someone telling you tommove your toes. I'm not sure how much all this helps, except to say: think about the risks you would be taking by NOT having the surgery.

Best wishes,
                                Evelyn
                                age 48
                                80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                                Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                                Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                                Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                                Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
                                X