Muscle Dystonia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
    I learned this most completely in the context of bacterial metabolism and respiration but I think the concepts are the same.
    I never "learned" it all, Sharon. I read Dr Matthews bible (he and Peter Coe), Better Training for Distance Runners. Someone will shoot me down in flames, but I still think the two concepts are different...although related.

Respiration is essentially how electrons are dumped (to which molecules) from metabolizing (oxidizing) carbon sources (food). So respiration is a subset of metabolism which includes other things like anabolism (building molecules) and catabolism (breaking down molecules).
    As you said....:-)
    Respiration is the "dumping" process. And intake process...then METABOLISED (sic., must be an ENGLISH v. Yankiee thing...I'm neither).

Time for bed....
    07/11: (10yrs) T40, L39, pelvic tilt, rotation T15 & L11
    11/11: Chiari 1 & syrinx, T35, L27, pelvis 0
    05/12: (11yrs) stopped brace, assessed T&L 25 - 30...>14lbs , >8 cm
    12/12: < 25 LC & TC, >14 cms, >20 lbs, neuro symptoms abated, but are there
    05/13: (12yrs) <25, >22cms height, puberty a year ago

Avoid 'faith' in 'experts'. “In consequence of this error many persons pass for normal, and indeed for highly valuable members of society, who are incurably mad...”

Comment

Sharon, I hate going to sleep with a problem. I'm going to email your description to an American distance running coach who also lectures on all this science stuff. I'll post his response...if he agrees with ME!... :-)
      07/11: (10yrs) T40, L39, pelvic tilt, rotation T15 & L11
      11/11: Chiari 1 & syrinx, T35, L27, pelvis 0
      05/12: (11yrs) stopped brace, assessed T&L 25 - 30...>14lbs , >8 cm
      12/12: < 25 LC & TC, >14 cms, >20 lbs, neuro symptoms abated, but are there
      05/13: (12yrs) <25, >22cms height, puberty a year ago

Avoid 'faith' in 'experts'. “In consequence of this error many persons pass for normal, and indeed for highly valuable members of society, who are incurably mad...”

Comment

Originally posted by TAMZTOM View Post
        but I still think the two concepts are different...although related.
        Oh hey I was unclear!!! When I said the concepts are the same, I meant bacterial versus human, NOT that respiration and metabolism are the same. As I went on to say, respiration is a subset of metabolism.

-2 point for me for being a poor writer. I think that's called unclear antecedents. LOL
        Last edited by Pooka1; 04-19-2012, 07:09 PM.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by TAMZTOM View Post
          Where exactly does it occur, Rohrer? (Apologies if you've already said where.) Is it overworked muscles as I've described on the other thread? Or more towards curve concavities, which would raise the concern with "functional tethering" given that you have ectopic CTs distorting the canal/cord and 'rubbing' the nerve endings in the concavities: cf., see page 27...http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=f...london&f=false
          I'm not equipped to diagnose (obviously) and not suggesting anything, just greatly interested because of Tamzin (sounds very self-serving, apologies again, but I know that you'd help anyone with this condition so the questions remain).
          Tom
          Well, I want to address a few of things here.

First: Respiration is metabolism, but metabolism is not respiration. I was, again, in a hurry when I replied to your post. In my initial reaction to the cited paper, I was talking about cellular respiration. Metabolism can and does include all of the chemical reactions that go on within a body. So, no, it's not a matter of where you went to school or who your mentor was. My apologies. I haven't looked yet, but it seems Sharon has already commented somewhat on that. I will go back and read what she said.

Second: To address your question. I do have my MRI's posted on the thread that I started on Chiari 1 Malformations. I have had only one CT scan due to an enlarged nerve root opening at C7 (left side I believe). They suscpected a tumor, therefore I had the CT/myelogram when I was 16. It showed no pathology other than scoliosis. The MRI was also considered "normal". Although, when looking at it myself, I noticed the low lying cerebellar tonsils. That's where my idea of the correlation of the string and beads example came from on the other thread. I'm just wondering if there is a correlation in that regard.

Third: I am also thinking about this muscle dystonia thing. So I'm guessing that you are asking which muscle groups don't let go when I over exert them, correct? Based on where my painful trigger points are (and you are making me go back to my anatomy book for this answer...lol) The sternocleidomastoids at the base of the skull and back of the neck, the trapezius, especially the upper but sometimes the lower is pretty bad, the rhomboideus major which runs along and kind of next to/under the scapula, the latissimus dorsi in both the lumbar and thoracic areas and on both sides (it feels like the "backstrap" but it also runs around the ribcage under the arms from behind), and when things are really bad the intercostals between the ribs (this makes it very hard to breathe) and surprisingly the gluteus medius on the side of the hip (this may be true sciatica due to nerve impingement from DDD, I don't know). I also get a lot of pain just inside/behind the left clavicle (collar bone). There is a nerve bundle in there, so it is either that or the lower platysma which joins your jaw to your collar bone - not sure on that area. I am more tender on the convexity of the lower curve but am tender on both sides of the upper curve and neck. My left trapezius is MUCH worse than the right and is the particularly hardened area of muscle mass, but the right upper trapezius is starting to give me trouble now. I also feel what seems to be bone pain in different areas of my spine and neck, usually around the apices, but not always. I was told that this could be muscular in nature, so I will assume that if it is, it is the paraspinals. I have occaisional pain in my sternum as well. Sometimes when I lay on a hard surface I can feel my muscles spasming and it feels like I'm laying on a pile of wiggly snakes, thus the need for baclofen.

So things I can't do: Overhead work, can't get that last sip out of a pop can. I can't do prolonged repetitive motions that over exert those previously mentioned muscle groups. I have to ease into exercises very gently. That's why I'm starting with walking. When I feel any muscle group start to cramp I stop. I oddly usually feel it in my neck first, then my hips which is odd since my hips are even. I "shouldn't" be doing any heavy lifting and use proper body mechanics for the lifting that I have to do - which everyone should do anyway. Bending and twisting motions can set me off it I overdo it, too. I especially can't do things that require my head to be in a constant down position like sitting at a desk reading and writing. Getting through college was very difficult in that regard. I have learned to alter the way I read. I have the most pain (excluding lower back pain - it's a different monster) in my neck and across the apices of both curves.

My plan of attack is to start a muscle building program slowly. I have to start in my hospital's cardiac rehab center because of my asthma and arrhythmia. I start in May. This will be in addition to my three mile walks on the treadmill. I meet with the doctor tomorrow to make an appointment for my Botox injections. It's my understanding that he will be focusing on the upper left trapezius and sternocleidomastoids. I risk getting droopy head, so wish me well and hope that doesn't happen!

I probably WAY over answered your question, but wasn't quite clear what you were asking. Hope this was helpful. Last but NOT least, no apologies necessary. We are all self-serving. That's what got most of us here. But we also give, too. That's what makes this such a great place to come and share ideas and learn!

Rohrer01
          Last edited by rohrer01; 04-19-2012, 11:58 PM.
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
            I learned this most completely in the context of bacterial metabolism and respiration but I think the concepts (bacterial versus human) are the same.

Respiration is essentially how electrons are dumped (to which molecules) from metabolizing (oxidizing) carbon sources (food). So respiration is a subset of metabolism which includes other things like anabolism (building molecules) and catabolism (breaking down molecules).

Respiration (dumping electrons from oxidizing organic molecules) can be aerobic or anaerobic but aerobic respiration is FAR more efficient that anaerobic respiration.

I think lactic acid production is essentially a fermentation (incomplete metabolism) of glucose where electrons are dumped to an organic molecule instead of eventually to carbon dioxide. I only really began to understood all this stuff within the context of bacterial metabolism in grad school and not in Bio 2 in undergrad. And I hope I am remembering this stuff correctly... I had to look up the precursor molecule to lactate - glucose (duh! I'm ashamed to admit).

Edits in redEmphasis added

You are correct with respiration being a subset of metabolism. Bacteria do more than just have respiration. They eat, grow, and reproduce, too. Even though they are much more simple, I do believe they metabolize in the sense of having more chemical reactions going on other than respiration. Yes, aerobic respiration is MUCH more efficient than anaerobic respiration. I believe it takes more ATP molecules for anaerobic respiration than for aerobic, so more ENERGY is needed for anaerobic respiration. Energy conservation is the key to good metabolism. But some microbes just don't care. Anaerobic respiration, for humans, is NOT ideal, although it's a back-up that keeps us kickin'. We don't want too much of that going on in our muscles, otherwise we get REALLY sore from the lactic acid build-up. It's good to get a nice rubdown of muscles right after exercising to help get rid of that lactic acid. It increases the bood flow to the muscles and helps flush it away. Again, Dr. McIntire will correct me if I'm wrong.

You DON'T get -2 points. You caught it and I didn't. -2 for me!
            Be happy!
            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
            but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
            X