Had surgery 3 years ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had surgery 3 years ago

I am now 21, I had surgery 3 years ago and have had a daughter who is 2 now. I am been experienceing a lot of pain lately and every year it seems to get worse and worse. It has happened once before last year and lasted about 2 weeks I went to my orthopedic doctor and he said it was bursitis. Again this year I am having the same problem at one point it got so bad and I was crying and could move, it hurt me to lay in the bed or turn from one side to another and the other way to get relief was to life my arms up and lean forward it was that bad for about a week and it would shoot pain down my left arm. The pain is in my upper left side of my back where the top of the rod is. I went back to the doctor and they did x rays the nurse practicioner was the one who saw me and said the rod and screws look fine and stated that I am getting a curve above my rod that is at only 15 degrees. And stated once again that I have bursitis and prescribed me anti inflammatory medication. Is this this normal to be experiencing pain like this. Its very irritating that I have to lean forward in the car while driving or watching a movie so that my back feels better, the pain isnt as bad as it was, but it feels like a burning stabbing pain. I have a rod from T5-T12.

Hi and welcome.

I am sorry about your pain.

The only way you will get a competent answer is to make an appointment with an experienced spine surgeon who handles many, many revisions. Check out the Scoliosis Research Society page that lets you find a surgeon in your area...

http://srs.execinc.com/edibo/PublicDirectory

I don't know where you went but if they thought a nurse practitioner, as opposed to an experienced spine surgeon, should be making comments to you about your radiograph and fusion then I find that comical.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 03-04-2012, 11:48 AM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      Hi and welcome.

I am sorry about your pain.

The only way you will get a competent answer is to make an appointment with an experienced spine surgeon who handles many, many revisions. Check out the Scoliosis Research Society page that lets you find a surgeon in your area...

http://srs.execinc.com/edibo/PublicDirectory

I don't know where you went but if they thought a nurse practitioner, as opposed to an experienced spine surgeon, should be making comments to you about your radiograph and fusion then I find that comical.

Good luck.
      I so agree
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Are you still carrying your 2-year-old? I had to stop carrying my children really early. I mean, I didn't even lift them into the car seat. They learned to climb well and are more self-sufficient for it. (And my back thanked me.)

Did the nurse mean 15 degrees left/right, or front back? Sometimes people develop a forward curvature (kyphosis) above their fusions.

I hope you find answers and that you can avoid another surgery. Since your pain comes and goes, I would be optimistic that physical therapy and some lifestyle changes might help. Good luck!
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
        X