This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before and After X-Rays and Pictures

Post your before and after x-rays or pictures here.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Here's my son's before and after x-rays.

He had a 110* curve that was taken to about 25* after two surgeries a month apart and halo traction in between. We spent a total of 6 weeks at Shriner's hospital in Portland, Oregon last spring. He is doing fantastic!
    Attached Files
    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Posted but removed... re-posted in first-time surgical when I realized this is the revision section.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Before and After in my signature
        1993/1995: PSF w/ Harrington rods T3-L4
        Jan. 24, 2012: ALIF of L4-L5, L5-S1 w/ cage spacer and BMP
        Jan. 31, 2012: PLIF of L1-S1 w/ pelvic anchors
        Scheduled Nov.15, 2012: Fusion T2-S1 w/ pelvic anchors to fix T12 fracture
        http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ot/myback2.jpg - BEFORE
        http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT2342x406.jpg - AFTER
        http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT1410x229.jpg - AFTER
        www.jerseyot.blogspot.com

Comment

560180_2772020750399_1554424403_31838433_1281183291_n[1].jpg This is my post op xray taken at end of July 2010 I had revision surgery in Feb 2010 fused from T3 to pelvis.

Comment

Originally posted by MOB View Post
            [ATTACH]1320[/ATTACH] This is my post op xray taken at end of July 2010 I had revision surgery in Feb 2010 fused from T3 to pelvis.
            Hi Mob,

I'm currently on a waiting list to have a full fusion and possible pelvis fusion because the fusion to the lower part of my spine stopped working.
            Can I ask how your mobility is 2yrs on from surgery? Do you find that you can do more or less everything that you could do before but you move slightly different?
            I'm finding myself trying to move like my spine is already fully fused to try to see how I might move or how I might be restricted. How do you find you sleep now.
            I sleep on my back, on my left side with my knees pulled up or on my stomach but am worried once fused I will no longer be able to do this.
            Thank you in advance
            27 yr old Female.
            Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
            Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
            Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

Hi Jenna,

I can do more or less everything but differently, I am able to sleep the whole night lying on my back. I can also lie on my side. I use a memory foam mattress topper on my bed. I am not working at the moment but am doing a course to upgrade my office skills and part of that involves working voluntary two afternoons a week prior to that I did a rehab type course to help build up my self esteem again that finished early in April. I also was able to return to playing indoor bowls which I have to play differently. I have some prominent screws at the top of my spine which the surgeon is keeping an eye on otherwise I am doing fine. My next appt is in Jan when I will be 3 years post op. I can go back sooner if I need to.

Comment

Originally posted by MOB View Post
                Hi Jenna,

I can do more or less everything but differently, I am able to sleep the whole night lying on my back. I can also lie on my side. I use a memory foam mattress topper on my bed. I am not working at the moment but am doing a course to upgrade my office skills and part of that involves working voluntary two afternoons a week prior to that I did a rehab type course to help build up my self esteem again that finished early in April. I also was able to return to playing indoor bowls which I have to play differently. I have some prominent screws at the top of my spine which the surgeon is keeping an eye on otherwise I am doing fine. My next appt is in Jan when I will be 3 years post op. I can go back sooner if I need to.
                So good to hear your doing so well. Do you still get the pain that you did before the surgery or has that improved?

At present I'm taking the maximum dose of pain relief (Tylex, they are like Tramadol) every 4 hrs with anti inflamatories between if needed.

Its fab to hear from someone who is 2 yrs plus post op with such good results. I haven't really got a choice when it comes to surgery because I am in so much pain, my lung capacity on the right is much lower because my curve is pushing my rib cage into my lung so I cannot exercise (luckily I'm small and have a low BMI). i was just so worried that I would feel robotic or totally rigid and unable to move but you and others have really helped me feel better. Thank you!
                27 yr old Female.
                Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
                Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
                Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

Hi folks...

Welcome to the forum. I'd like to encourage everyone to keep your posts relative to the thread title.

Thanks!

Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Chihuahua Mama before and after

IMG952944-1.jpg

Success! I guess I have to upload to a photo server to add to my signature. Thanks for the sticky, Linda.

You can see the mess Dr. MICHAEL KROPF of Cedars Sinai made of me on the right and the very successful revision (so far) I had in May. I still am a tad tilted downward on the right, but nobody's perfect. I'm really happy with my gait and so far walking is my therapy. I gained at least 2 of my 3 inches lost in original surgery; flatback is gone! It's so so so awesome to be able to stand straight, lock my knees (at the same time) and feel like I look like a normal human being.

Pain levels go up and down but I'm about a 5 and manageable with Tramadol and muscle relaxers. I do have narcotic pain relievers but don't enjoy withdrawal symptoms so I avoid taking one unless I'm really hurting. 13 hour surgery from stem to stern and I have way less pain that the original surgery. This is why you INTERVIEW about 5 surgeons before you choose one!!! I made a huge mistake when I had the original surgery done in southern California and there are plenty of excellent surgeons there.
                    Last edited by Chihuahua Mama; 08-22-2016, 07:26 PM. Reason: spelling
                    Susan
                    XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

Working...
                    X