Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine are also in my signature. No befores, just afters.
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Surgery 1/23/2012 from T9 to S1 with pelvic fixation, Dr. Richard Tallarico, Syracuse, NY

Before:

Thoracolumbar_Spine_2011-09-12-0001.jpg

Thoracolumbar_Spine_2011-09-12-0002.jpg

Thoracolumbar_Spine_2011-09-12-0003.jpg

After:

Thoracolumbar_Spine_2012-02-09-0001.jpg

Thoracolumbar_Spine_2012-02-09-0002.jpg
      -- Mary D. Taffet
      Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
      Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Comment

My after pictures are in my blog.
        Sheree
        Diagnosed age 18 - told I was done growing and it wouldn't get any worse
        Had two children
        Back started hurting more around age 52
        Saw Dr. Whitaker, KS Joint and Spine Institute, Jan. 2009 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 50
        Saw Dr. Whitaker again Oct. 11 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 55
        Fused T4-S1 with pelvic fixation and one cage Jan. 10, 2012 at Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, KS - age 55
        Post-Op X-ray - Thoracic was 50 and Lumbar was 23
        My Blog: www.shereeglanzer.blogspot.com

Comment

My Scoliosis Surgery Journey since 1998-2012

I was diagnosed with Scoliosis my freshman year of high school at Shriners Hospital in Tampa, FL and told I needed corrective surgery. I was 14 and petrified and my parents, thankfully, did not force me to have the surgery. I am not less than a month from being 27 and two days away from being exactly 6 months post-operative. I had a mulitlevel thoracolumbar spinal fusion with instrumentation, facetectomies, and osteotomies of my T-4 to my L-4. I am degenerative and bulging into my L-5, S-1, and S-2 but my amazing surgeon, Dr. Anthony Moreno did not want to compromise my mobility any more than we already were with the fusion. I was in the hospital almost 2 weeks and have had a few minor set backs. I am in pain all day every day. I have lost 15 pounds. I am on no pain medication or muscle relaxers other then tylenol. Here are some photos of my journey. From a failed IVC Filter impant (if your surgeon recommends this, make sure it's absolutely necessary in my case it wasn't and my body rejected it and I had it surgically removed 6 days later).
          Below is a link to most recent photos, you can see the instrumentation I am so thin
          http://www.scoliosissurgerysurvivor....s-week-15.html

Below is a link to other photos including before and after X-Rays as well as some photos of my scar, there is an adult advisory warning on my blog only because of the scar photos and I assume that would scare some children
          http://www.scoliosissurgerysurvivor....op-spinal.html

More photos of my old and new spine
          http://www.scoliosissurgerysurvivor....new-spine.html

Comment

Gosh its so good to see how good of a correction you guys got.

Sheree i've just seen your blog, i'm having a full fusion with possible pelvis fixation on 26th July so it makes me relax a little seeing how well you recovered or are recovering. I'm only 27 so hope for the same :-)

Scolisurvivor, your correction looks great, you must be so pleased. I have an S shape curve, harrington rod at the bottom and my top curve was measured at 104* in Jan but it would still be nice to think my after xrays might be as good as yours. I'm keeping everything crossed :-) x
            27 yr old Female.
            Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
            Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
            Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

Here are the after pics

I am not the greatest wiz at the computer,but was able to get the after pics here. I will now work on before

ATTACH]1383[/ATTACH]spine2.jpg
              Last edited by jackieg412; 10-22-2012, 07:39 PM. Reason: moving attachments
              T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
              C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
              T2--T10 fusion 2/11
              C 4-5 fusion 11/14
              Right scapulectomy 6/15
              Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
              To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
              Broken neck 9/28/2018
              Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
              Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
              Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
              Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
              Osteotomy

Comment

RE: Before and After Pictures/Xrays

Mine are in my signature!
                lisanicolegrace
                29/F/Canada
                Surgery - 11/10/2000
                80° curve to 19° post op.
                www.lisanicolegrace.com
                @lisanicolegrace
                facebook
                x-rays
                picture of my back

Comment

Can't figure out how to put these in my signature, but here they are! IMG_0141 - Version 2.jpgIMG_0374.jpgIMG_0375.jpg
                  Surgery June 18 by Dr. Errico at NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases at age 41.
                  Fused T10-Pelvis.
                  "Ask me about my brand new lordosis!"

Comment

Still only have before's...If and when I ever get it fixed, I'll have afters....................
                    Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
                    Still unsure of post-op numbers
                    37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                    Scoli pics

Comment

Mike,

How has your height been affected by your scoliosis? Just wondering, since you're so tall. My true height is 5'8", but my 'apparent' height is barely 5'4".

Peggy
                      Peg
                      61 yrs old
                      75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                      T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                      Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Originally posted by PeggyS View Post
                        Mike,

How has your height been affected by your scoliosis? Just wondering, since you're so tall. My true height is 5'8", but my 'apparent' height is barely 5'4".

Peggy

At one time not very long ago, I was at least 6'9". Maybe even closer to 6"10". I've definitely lost height. I don't really think about it until I see an old friend of mine from time to time. We graduated high school together and we were always the same height throughout school. I find myself really straining to stand up taller when I see him, and I can tell I have to look up a little more, like we're not eye level. Also, my dad is 6"6", and I now feel like we're almost the same height.
                        I can only imagine how much height I'll gain if surgery ever happens. I still had scoliosis when I was 6'9". Man, I might be looking at close to 7'...
                        Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
                        Still unsure of post-op numbers
                        37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                        Scoli pics

Comment

Not sure if this worked...my friend made me a cute "before/after" meme. Don't yet have X-ray photos uploaded.
                          Attached Files
                          Surgery Jan 6, 2014 at 38 yrs
                          Posterior Fusion T10-L4, osteotomy 1 lev.
                          Pre op-Thoracolumbar Curve-50 degrees

Comment

Wow that appears to be a hyper-correction with no residual scoliosis. I'll look forward to seeing the radiographs. These surgeons are amazing!
                            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Thanks, Sharon! I felt very fortunate to have such an experienced surgeon. I was most shocked at how they are able to significantly correct rotations these days. He told me from the get go to expect an excellent correction. I will post X-rays when possible.

I have noticed just in the past couple days that my right hip seems to want to creep up again. I wondered if others dealt with shifting post op? I hope that it's just years of muscle memory and it will eventually settle down after healing, pt and a return to a more active life.
                              Surgery Jan 6, 2014 at 38 yrs
                              Posterior Fusion T10-L4, osteotomy 1 lev.
                              Pre op-Thoracolumbar Curve-50 degrees

Comment

Yes the ability to derotate is very amazing. My one daughter was highly rotated and the surgeon was able to remove virtually all of it. The sagittal radiograph had the two rods almost completely superimposed indicating near-total removal of the rotation. Pedicle screws... more than just a good idea. :-)
                                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X