Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Before and After Pictures/Xrays

Mine are also in my signature. No befores, just afters.
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

My after pictures are in my blog.
    Sheree
    Diagnosed age 18 - told I was done growing and it wouldn't get any worse
    Had two children
    Back started hurting more around age 52
    Saw Dr. Whitaker, KS Joint and Spine Institute, Jan. 2009 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 50
    Saw Dr. Whitaker again Oct. 11 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 55
    Fused T4-S1 with pelvic fixation and one cage Jan. 10, 2012 at Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, KS - age 55
    Post-Op X-ray - Thoracic was 50 and Lumbar was 23
    My Blog: www.shereeglanzer.blogspot.com

My Scoliosis Surgery Journey since 1998-2012

I was diagnosed with Scoliosis my freshman year of high school at Shriners Hospital in Tampa, FL and told I needed corrective surgery. I was 14 and petrified and my parents, thankfully, did not force me to have the surgery. I am not less than a month from being 27 and two days away from being exactly 6 months post-operative. I had a mulitlevel thoracolumbar spinal fusion with instrumentation, facetectomies, and osteotomies of my T-4 to my L-4. I am degenerative and bulging into my L-5, S-1, and S-2 but my amazing surgeon, Dr. Anthony Moreno did not want to compromise my mobility any more than we already were with the fusion. I was in the hospital almost 2 weeks and have had a few minor set backs. I am in pain all day every day. I have lost 15 pounds. I am on no pain medication or muscle relaxers other then tylenol. Here are some photos of my journey. From a failed IVC Filter impant (if your surgeon recommends this, make sure it's absolutely necessary in my case it wasn't and my body rejected it and I had it surgically removed 6 days later).
    Below is a link to most recent photos, you can see the instrumentation I am so thin
    http://www.scoliosissurgerysurvivor....s-week-15.html

Below is a link to other photos including before and after X-Rays as well as some photos of my scar, there is an adult advisory warning on my blog only because of the scar photos and I assume that would scare some children
    http://www.scoliosissurgerysurvivor....op-spinal.html

More photos of my old and new spine
    http://www.scoliosissurgerysurvivor....new-spine.html

Gosh its so good to see how good of a correction you guys got.

Sheree i've just seen your blog, i'm having a full fusion with possible pelvis fixation on 26th July so it makes me relax a little seeing how well you recovered or are recovering. I'm only 27 so hope for the same :-)

Scolisurvivor, your correction looks great, you must be so pleased. I have an S shape curve, harrington rod at the bottom and my top curve was measured at 104* in Jan but it would still be nice to think my after xrays might be as good as yours. I'm keeping everything crossed :-) x
    27 yr old Female.
    Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
    Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
    Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Here are the after pics

I am not the greatest wiz at the computer,but was able to get the after pics here. I will now work on before

ATTACH]1383[/ATTACH]spine2.jpg
    Last edited by jackieg412; 10-22-2012 at 08:39 PM. Reason: moving attachments

RE: Before and After Pictures/Xrays

Mine are in my signature!
    lisanicolegrace
    29/F/Canada
    Surgery - 11/10/2000
    80 curve to 19 post op.
    www.lisanicolegrace.com
    @lisanicolegrace
    facebook
    x-rays
    picture of my back

Can't figure out how to put these in my signature, but here they are! IMG_0141 - Version 2.jpgIMG_0374.jpgIMG_0375.jpg
    Surgery June 18 by Dr. Errico at NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases at age 41.
    Fused T10-Pelvis.
    "Ask me about my brand new lordosis!"

Still only have before's...If and when I ever get it fixed, I'll have afters....................
    Pre-surgery- 80+ thoracic/ 60+ lumbar
    Still unsure of post-op numbers
    37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
    Scoli pics

Mike,

How has your height been affected by your scoliosis? Just wondering, since you're so tall. My true height is 5'8", but my 'apparent' height is barely 5'4".

Peggy

Quote Originally Posted by PeggyS View Post
    Mike,

How has your height been affected by your scoliosis? Just wondering, since you're so tall. My true height is 5'8", but my 'apparent' height is barely 5'4".

Peggy

At one time not very long ago, I was at least 6'9". Maybe even closer to 6"10". I've definitely lost height. I don't really think about it until I see an old friend of mine from time to time. We graduated high school together and we were always the same height throughout school. I find myself really straining to stand up taller when I see him, and I can tell I have to look up a little more, like we're not eye level. Also, my dad is 6"6", and I now feel like we're almost the same height.
    I can only imagine how much height I'll gain if surgery ever happens. I still had scoliosis when I was 6'9". Man, I might be looking at close to 7'...
    Pre-surgery- 80+ thoracic/ 60+ lumbar
    Still unsure of post-op numbers
    37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
    Scoli pics

Not sure if this worked...my friend made me a cute "before/after" meme. Don't yet have X-ray photos uploaded.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Surgery Jan 6, 2014 at 38 yrs
    Posterior Fusion T10-L4, osteotomy 1 lev.
    Pre op-Thoracolumbar Curve-50 degrees

Wow that appears to be a hyper-correction with no residual scoliosis. I'll look forward to seeing the radiographs. These surgeons are amazing!
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Thanks, Sharon! I felt very fortunate to have such an experienced surgeon. I was most shocked at how they are able to significantly correct rotations these days. He told me from the get go to expect an excellent correction. I will post X-rays when possible.

I have noticed just in the past couple days that my right hip seems to want to creep up again. I wondered if others dealt with shifting post op? I hope that it's just years of muscle memory and it will eventually settle down after healing, pt and a return to a more active life.
    Surgery Jan 6, 2014 at 38 yrs
    Posterior Fusion T10-L4, osteotomy 1 lev.
    Pre op-Thoracolumbar Curve-50 degrees

Yes the ability to derotate is very amazing. My one daughter was highly rotated and the surgeon was able to remove virtually all of it. The sagittal radiograph had the two rods almost completely superimposed indicating near-total removal of the rotation. Pedicle screws... more than just a good idea. :-)
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."