Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you acknowledge/celebrate your anniversary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you acknowledge/celebrate your anniversary?

My one year anniversary of surgery is next Thursday. I feel bittersweet about it because it was such a shock, and so traumatic and hard and horrible, but I've come out so much better on the other side.

My husband and I are going to go out and celebrate with a nice dinner and toast to getting this far.

Have you ever celebrated your anniversary, or otherwise acknowledged it? If so, how did you do it? Just being nosey.
    Female, age 38
    4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
    currently 64*upper/40*lower
    Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
    now 32*upper/18* lower

My husband and I celebrated my year anniversary with a nice dinner out and a toast to both of us. I toasted him for being such a good caregiver during my recovery. At my 6 month anniversary, we had a party for some of our closest friends who had brought food, sent flowers, walked the dogs, etc. I imagine Jan. 5th will always be a date that I will acknowledge. Good luck as your continue to improve during your second year.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I spent my seven month anniversary at Mauna Kea, the volcano on Hawaii. The whole trip was a bit of a victory lap for me. I finished an MA in speech language pathology in May last year, and then had the surgery on June 7 and 9. I was delighted at how well I felt at the top of Mauna Kea, which is nearly 15,000 feet. I have always had a horrible time with high altitudes and we weren't sure it was a good idea for me to go, but I felt great, just a bit short of breath-- and it was a wonderful experience. My eight month anniversary came and went this month without me thinking about it. Which is a good sign.
      Diagnosed at age 13
      Milwaukee brace ages 73-74
      Pre surgery 58 degree curve and lordosis
      Surgery June 7&9, 2011 Fused L-4 -T-4 Age 52
      Post surgery 26 degrees
      Surgeon Yu-po Lee

Comment

I well remember my first anniversary. It was a mixture of emotions: relief, gratitude, joy. I saw my surgeon that day for my 1 year checkup and I remember I hugged him. My partner said he wanted to hug him! We then went out for lunch to celebrate being dumped as his patient! Hopefully we'll never see each other again.

I'm not an anniversary person, I'd forget my own birthday, but I'll never forget my surgery anniversary. #3 coming up.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Elias had two surgeries a month apart: March 22nd & April 19th, 2010. Either one is a cause for celebration but I am thinking of doing something special for him on March 22nd b/c that is also my birthday. Best birthday present ever! But April 19th was the actual date he had the rods put on and his halo taken off so that's pretty special too. I think we'll do a nice dinner and since Elias' favourite is Chinese, we'll probably do that, along with a nice cake. I am open to suggestions though. :-)
          Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
          Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
          Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
          http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Working...
          X