Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After Extensive Surgery, How do I Manage Myself?

After Extensive Surgery, How do I Manage Myself?

Do people with complicated revisions live by themselves & if so, how do they care for themselves.

No family nor friends due to issues. Saw 1 Dr last wk. in LA seeing Dr Bederman 22nd. Don't know if I told you but this is what 1st Dr said:

Fused T4-S1, stopped counting loose screws,(holes too big/angels wrong), broken fusions,
    1. Never talked about the neck cause he ran out of time! That is an issue as well.
    1. Horrible infection in Thoracic, still on antibiotics
    2. Thoracic now sticking outwards (not to side) 50 degrees in maybe 6 months. Terrible pain to walk,I try mile/day. Can't stand up straight.
    3. Many fusions did not fuse (don't know exactly how many or where….was not told, forgot to ask.)
    4. Screws:Can pop through skin.(rest of issues above)
    5. Need bolt in Sacrum.
    6. Need anterior and posterior
    7. No family and I need to exercise daily and take care of myself.

HOW? I have new email: peacefulgal@me.com

All suggestions welcome

Thanks!

ReneeTina
    60 yrs old did scuba,lift & work. Miss all.
    1st t surgery,28 years. L4/5 fusion
    2nd surgery 10-19; went from 2 80%+ curves to 20% + 30%.T4-S1,38 screws (loose & angled wrong), 15 fusions many fusions did not take,& horrific had/have(?) infection.
    Lot of pain.

How do I manage myself?

Why is nobody answering me? Reneetina
    2nd surgery 10-19; went from 2 80%+ curves to 20% + 30%.T4-S1,38 screws (loose & angled wrong), 15 fusions many fusions did not take,& horrific had/have(?) infection.
    Lot of pain.

Do you have another thread going? If so, that may be why.

It sounds like you will need to spend time at a rehab facility post-op until you're able to go home. Could you get a social worker or nurse to visit once a day? Maybe your insurance will cover it? I would suggest you talk with your surgeon about what they recommend. Best to you - it sounds really complex.
    Female, age 38
    4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
    currently 64*upper/40*lower
    Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
    now 32*upper/18* lower

After Extensive Surgery, Managing By Myself?

Nobody is responding is any of them but thank you for reply. I will ck with insurance on Monday. Last time they did not have good rehabs around here. Reneetina
    Lot of pain.

ReneeTina,
    I have to agree with everything Lily said. Obviously, it's preferable to have someone with you 24-7, but there are some on the forum who didn't have that luxury and got along. I don't think Ed had anyone with him. I have heard good things about Dr. B.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

I have Melissa to thank for Dr. Bederman's name. Also want to thank you both for responding! Should I cancel some threads so I can keep better track or how does one keep track of their questions & answers? Thanks Reneetina
    Lot of pain.

I used to start a new thread whenever I had a new question, but they were usually spaced fairly far apart. I think Linda has encouraged us to try to put most of our questions on one thread because of all of the spam issues.

I believe I posted a response to this very same question on a different thread. I haven't had surgery, but I would imagine that they would put you in a rehab facility or other long term care facility until you are able to care for yourself. My question to you on the other thread was, "How are you managing now?" It would seem to me, that with all of the problems you have right now, I can't imagine you being worse after a successful surgery and some time with recovery. I would think you would feel a whole lot better than you do now. I wish you all the best.

ReneeTina

It does sound like you need quite an extensive revision.....and so difficult to say, to predict exactly what will happen. If you don’t have immediate success in your 2 stage revision, be prepared for another just in case. Always remember that you will eventually get your spine repaired.

The thoracic infection does not sound good, and seems as if the broken hardware “might” have something to do with this. If you have all these multiple breaks, I don’t think you have much of a choice in the matter....the rods and screws keep rubbing together and produce particulates which can cause problems.

The best person to consul on this would be a surgeon, and would most likely send you to a rehab facility after your surgeries.

I did not go to rehab. The insurance company didn’t have a problem with this since it saved them quite a bit of money, they sent nurses and PT people to my home every day......my surgeon arranged this. You can have your groceries delivered, many will deliver to your home.....arrange this in advance.

Stick with one thread for now... it will be easier. Go see Dr B....see what he thinks and let us know.
    Hang in there
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 58, the new 53...
    Pre surgery curves C12,T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

AFter Extensive Surgery, How do I manage Myself?

I am going to see Dr Bederman Wed. hope it brings good news. Thanks for replies. I am going to redo 1 main thread & get rid of rest. Easier for all that way. Reneetina
    Lot of pain.

Hello all: Saw Dr. Bederman yesterday & he is as great as Melissa said. Can't write everything down now as I recorded it & must relisten. He gave me 3 options from easy to rebreaking entire spine. He was very detailed & was w/me 2 hrs! Don't know if mentioned already but I'll be doing a main thread with everything on it & stopping all others. It will be less confusing! In the meantime, does anyone have any ideas what to name the new thread so it'll catch peoples eyes? Thanks. Reneetina
    Lot of pain.

If you could get someone to help you with the typing, and the computer work, that would be a big help. There are many younger people out there that will have no problem with this.

Construct in another program then copy paste to the forum. Heck, you can do this in your e-mail. You can send it back to yourself and re-file later.

Don’t worry about the spelling, just get it close, and we will figure it out.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 58, the new 53...
    Pre surgery curves C12,T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Reneetina,
    I'm glad you got to see Dr. Bederman. I can't imagine a surgeon spending two hours with you. I hope you can get everything worked out so that you can eventually get back to the things you are missing now.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Quote Originally Posted by Reneetina View Post
    In the meantime, does anyone have any ideas what to name the new thread so it'll catch peoples eyes? Thanks. Reneetina
    Reneetina's Journey

People like to read other's stories. When you put it in terms of sounding like the whole story, I think it will attract people.

Lightbulb What helped me greatly manage post-op

I sent you a private message with what really helped me manage post-op.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction