Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flat Feet and Kyphoscoliosis-Connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Feet and Kyphoscoliosis-Connection?

Hi. My name is Ross. I am a 15 year old boy from SW Louisiana. At the beginning of the summer of 2002 I started to have foot pains. So I went to see a podiatric surgeon in Houston, Texas and he told me that I had a condition called Pes Planus or also known as flat feet. My feet were so flat that all the bones in my foot were misalligned. So on December 18, 2002, I had reconstructive surgery on my right foot. Then in July of 2003, the same with the left. Then in November and December of 2003 and Febuary of 2004, I had to have bonus surgeries to remove pins, screws, and staples, and to shave down a donor bone. Then on March 9, 2004, I was diagnosed with Scoliosis and Kyphosis. We knew that there had to be some relationship between Scoliosis and/or Kyphosis and Flat Feet. Mainly Kyphosis. Almost all the people I have talked to who have kyphosis have flat feet. Do you think there is some sort of connection?

Hope to hear some sort of suggestions.
    Everyone have a nice day and I hope for the best! Ross

hard_roc_child08@hotmail.com is my email addy if you want to talk more on the subject.
    Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
    www.myspace.com/ross40728
    Had surgery on 9/20/04
    81* Scheuermann's Disease
    40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
    U Rod Inserted
    Fused from T2-L3

Hi Matt...

Both conditions are relatively common, so it doesn't surprise me that you have both. There are, however, some neuromuscular diseases that involve the spinal cord (Polio, diastematomyelia, tethered cord, syringomyelia, spina bifida) which can also cause both scoliosis and flat feet.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

My son has a foot defomity and kyphoscoliosis. His foot deformity (taleocalcaneal coalition, aka "painful" flat feet) affects one foot only and when asked how common it was we were told that 1 in 50,000 (maybe 500,000??? my memory is failing me!) live births it will occur . . .mostly in mild form. His of course was severe and required surgery and he now wears an orthotic to hold his foot properly, so in the severe case it is even more rare. While flat foot may be common, when it is atypical or severe, it is pretty rare indeed. I do think, as does Matt, that there is a relationship between the deformities of the bones of the feet and the spine . . perhaps it is some error in timing of the bone growth causing it to torque. My son's leg bone has torqued a little too. I do think that these conditions are not well documented or understood. They are likely very rare, but I do firmly believe there is a relationship, it just hasn't been fully studied or identified, JMHO anyhow!

Comment

CMT and Scoliosis/Kyphosis

I have scoliosis and Kyphosis as well as Charcot Marie Tooth. Long story, short, I've had 4 surgeries for scoliosis (on my spine) and 2 for my feet. The spine surgeries consisted of everything from partical fusion to rods to having the rods taken out due to infection. My foot surgeries included one to lengthen tendons that was requiring me to walk on my toes and the second to help my drop foot. From my understanding Scoliosis/Kyphosis and CMT DO have a relationship. Charcot Marie Tooth is a neuromuscular disorder that weakens the nerves that control the muscles. Most doctors that have seen me for Scoliosis/Kyhposis notice that I have CMT when I shake their hand (weird but true, my hands are weak and somewhat pliable). Some of the symptoms of CMT are weakness of extremities, difficulty gripping, drop foot/flat feet, high arches, lack of balance etc. CMT is often misdiagnosed or not diagnosed at all. It tends to show up more in people who are already begining the weakening process (ie getting old), but not always. For more information on CMT my favorite website is http://www.charcot-marie-tooth.org If I can awnser any more questions I'll be happy to.
        Jennifer

26 years old. Diagnosed with severe Scoliosis/Kyphosis and CMT at the age of 8. Have had a total of 6 surgeries, 4 on my spine and 2 on both of my feet. Including rod removal surgery. I am fused from T-2 to T-12.

Comment

Hi everyone. Thank you for replying. It feels so much better to know that there are other people out there with the same things that I have. If you were to ask a doc about the relationship between the two, they will tell you (or at least 2 of my orthos told me so) that there is no relation. How can that be? I wish that there was some sort of study going on to prevent people with flat feet from Scoliosis. I finished my last foot surgery in Febuary of 2004. I still have to wear my orthotics. I think I might have to wear them for the rest of my life!

Well, I hope that you all have a nice day!
          Ross
          Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
          www.myspace.com/ross40728
          Had surgery on 9/20/04
          81* Scheuermann's Disease
          40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
          U Rod Inserted
          Fused from T2-L3

Comment

the other thought that occurs to me is that while scoliosis may be common in girls, it is much less common in boys and I am not sure that the studies on the condition in girls necessarily translates to what is the case with boys. Again, too little study and literature to know for sure, but there seems to be agreement that boys are affected in ways much differently that girls, at least in some respects. So, additional study on boys with scoliosis, kyphosis, kyphoscoliosis and add to that mix deformities of other skeletal systems in the body and you have a number of PhD theses in the works!

Comment

We have foot probs too

You don't know how nice it was to read that other children not only have Kyphosis, but foot problems as well. Our 16 1/2 year old daughter has Scheuermann's Kyphosis, surgery scheduled for 03/15/05. After she is healed up from her back surgery, then she will have one foot operated on and then the other. I don't recall what the doc said her foot problem was, as we have three girls, all with scoliosis or Scheuermann's Kyphosis and they were all in on the same day with the doctor. My daughter not only has pain in her back, but her feet hurt continuously. We have found that orthodics have helped her feet a lot, but surgery on them should do more for her.

Comment

scoliosiskyphosis and feet deformities

Thank you all for your postings on scoliosis kyphosis and foot deformities. My son is also 15 he had surgery at 2 for scoliosis and kyphosis. He also had botox injections twice and casts on his feet for toe walking. At 6 he had surgery on both feet to lenghten his tendons to stop the toe walking. He was diagnosed with flat feet, high arches and claw toes. He worn braces and orthodics on and off for a couple of years. The pain became worse so he had another surgery at 13 this was to decrease the arch and the claw toes which was called jones procedure.
                He still has pain in his feet and all of his lower extremities are very tight. His calf muscles, the back of his tigh muscles and his ankles. We were told by the orthopedic that they were probably not related.I do not believe that. I always felt they are related and there is a another diagnosis. I thought the scoliosis was the main diagnosis I don't believe that any more. Our orthopedic doctor just retired. so if any one has any suggestions of where to go with this please let me know.

Comment

Working...
                X