Post Op Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Op Questions

To any and all who may read: 1. how long were you in the hospital? 2. How long were you on pain meds, reactions? 3. Were you able to be independent in the bathroom? How long before you could shower? Do hair? Could you wear a bra? If not, what did you wear? hahaha for the men that one was not for you 5. Did you sleep in your own bed when you came home from the hospital? OK, I won't bombard you all at once, but soooooooooo many thanks.

Answers

Hi!
    1. Five days
    2. Six weeks. None other than constipation that was relieved with laxatives.
    3. About two months before I felt safe showering without anyone to help me in and out.
    Hair about a week post surgery. Man, it was greasy!!
    No bra for 6-7 weeks. Wore tank top and loose top over.
    4. Slept in my own bed right away.
    50 years old!!!!!
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
    Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
    Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
    Surgery 07/11/2011
    Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

1. how long were you in the hospital? 19 days.

2. How long were you on pain meds, reactions? I started weaning off them at about 7 weeks.

3. Were you able to be independent in the bathroom? Yes. How long before you could shower? As soon as the tubes were out - Day 4 or 5? Memory hazy. Do hair? From Day 2. Brushing, that is. Shampooing, from my first time in the shower. Could you wear a bra? About a month, though I preferred not to if I could. I still do without when home. A shelf bra style, strappy singlet does the job. (But I'm small.)

5. Did you sleep in your own bed when you came home from the hospital? Yes, my bed was heaven after the awful hospital bed.
      Last edited by JenniferG; 02-14-2012, 05:27 PM.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I was in the hospital 6 days and did not go to rehab. I was willing, but didn't qualify since I could dress myself, go up and down stairs, etc.

I blacked out at home when I was on the pain medications. at about 4 weeks post-op and dropped the oxycontin. I've always had low blood pressure, so the combination was most likely the cause. Go SLOWLY when you get in a sitting position from your bed and also wait several minutes before standing and walking. I was never light headed or dizzy at the hospital or during the first 3-4 weeks, so I was getting pretty independent, which was a mistake. I started reducing the vicoden at 5 weeks and my constipation issues improved.

I have read on this forum that people have blacked out in the shower. I just don't think you can be too careful. It's probably a good idea to have someone with you while you're on the heavy pain medications.

My fusion was to the sacrum and I needed to use tongs when wiping. I never dreamed it would be necessary, but it was for me.

They make what looks like a shower cap for shampooing your hair without water that I used in the hospital and once at home. It was better than nothing. I went to my hairdresser (took pillows) and had it washed during the first 2 weeks at home before I could shower on my own.

I was able to wear bras that fastened in front from the beginnning. I also wore comfortable running suits every day (you will probably have some bloadting) and Sketcher tennis shoes that don't tie that I could slip on easily for my house laps.

I didn't need a hospital bed. but bought a memory foam pad for our bed. I log rolled in and out quite easily (practice before your surgery) In the beginning, I had large body pillows that I laid on, too. I also used an electric blanket & a pillow underneath my knees.

Keep the questions coming and we'll try to answer them. About the pain medications . . . everyone is different and you'll just have to play it by ear.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Thank you all

Thank you so much for all of your input and sharing your experiences - it really helps!

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
            I was in the hospital 6 days and did not go to rehab. I was willing, but didn't qualify since I could dress myself, go up and down stairs, etc.

I blacked out at home when I was on the pain medications. at about 4 weeks post-op and dropped the oxycontin. I've always had low blood pressure, so the combination was most likely the cause. Go SLOWLY when you get in a sitting position from your bed and also wait several minutes before standing and walking. I was never light headed or dizzy at the hospital or during the first 3-4 weeks, so I was getting pretty independent, which was a mistake. I started reducing the vicoden at 5 weeks and my constipation issues improved.

I have read on this forum that people have blacked out in the shower. I just don't think you can be too careful. It's probably a good idea to have someone with you while you're on the heavy pain medications.

My fusion was to the sacrum and I needed to use tongs when wiping. I never dreamed it would be necessary, but it was for me.

They make what looks like a shower cap for shampooing your hair without water that I used in the hospital and once at home. It was better than nothing. I went to my hairdresser (took pillows) and had it washed during the first 2 weeks at home before I could shower on my own.

I was able to wear bras that fastened in front from the beginnning. I also wore comfortable running suits every day (you will probably have some bloadting) and Sketcher tennis shoes that don't tie that I could slip on easily for my house laps.

I didn't need a hospital bed. but bought a memory foam pad for our bed. I log rolled in and out quite easily (practice before your surgery) In the beginning, I had large body pillows that I laid on, too. I also used an electric blanket & a pillow underneath my knees.

Keep the questions coming and we'll try to answer them. About the pain medications . . . everyone is different and you'll just have to play it by ear.
            Hi Karen,

Thanks for suggestions, they are good ones. I see that you were fused to the sacrum. Can you tell me how flexible are you today? I see you are an avid golfer so you must twist. Can you dance, bend, if so how far? Are you out of pain?

Comment

It's so much better than I had anticipated. I still do some things differently, but it's not a big deal. I was allowed to go back to tap dancing at 6 months post op and just adjusted the high impact steps. Check my signature. There is a picture of me performing (the one on the right). In January, I was released for golf. My husband and I are leaving on Sat. for a 2we ek golfing vacation in FL, so I'll see how it goes. I've been taking some swings when we've had nice days and I'm definitely not going to attempt to swing hard for a long time. I am trying to turn more in one piece instead of twisting. Last Sunday, my husband and I heard a live band and jitterbugged several songs. As Ed says, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It just takes patience while you're getting there.
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
              X