No announcement yet.

14 year old son, trying to find solution without surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Tom. I've been following your threads about exercise, diet, etc. It is very encouraging. I learned a great deal from it.
    My problem is that my kid is not very strong physically. He's learning the Schroth slowly with a chiropractor. Especially the breathing technique, seems like hard to do it during his "tea pot" position.

Comment

Do you think you might consider the tethering?

If so, it would be a great thing if you posted your testimonial here. We don't have any on tethering.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by djjane View Post
        Thank you Tom. I've been following your threads about exercise, diet, etc. It is very encouraging. I learned a great deal from it.
        My problem is that my kid is not very strong physically. He's learning the Schroth slowly with a chiropractor. Especially the breathing technique, seems like hard to do it during his "tea pot" position.
        Hi DJ
        Don't be too concerned about your kid's physical strength. I may have given the wrong impression, on the thread about Tamzin, that this sort of physical aptitude and strength is required. It categorically is not. In fact, there are indications that Tamzin's chemical and muscular 'peculiarities' are indicative of some deeper (neurological/chemical) issues. (E.g., see Kevin_McI comment about energy during exercise being diverted away from growth hormones, etc., although this was his "hypo of a hypo", not a conclusion. See later notes from "the long article" fleshing out KMCI's HofH.).
        The Schroth breathing techniques are very beneficial; these alone WILL improve your kid's overall health, etc. I say this categorically as I have two other kids who don't have scoliosis and I KNOW that Schroth breathing (done symmetrically in their case) is beneficial for them. For Tamzin, we've seen "remarkable" (quote from two spine surgeons, an orthotist and a paediatrician) development of her concave side thoracic ribs attributable to Schroth RAB (rotational angular breathing).
        Nothing is a cure all for scoliosis. I don't tout Schroth as being it. I don't tout a SpineCor brace as being it. These two are part of our endeavours to treat it.

I KNOW that we're doing a better job of "it" than the medical authorities, private and UK health system.

PM me ANY questions you want and I'll try to help as best I can. (E.g., "tea pot" was confusing to us too, at first.)
        Last edited by TAMZTOM; 03-21-2012, 05:10 PM.
        07/11: (10yrs) T40, L39, pelvic tilt, rotation T15 & L11
        11/11: Chiari 1 & syrinx, T35, L27, pelvis 0
        05/12: (11yrs) stopped brace, assessed T&L 25 - 30...>14lbs , >8 cm
        12/12: < 25 LC & TC, >14 cms, >20 lbs, neuro symptoms abated, but are there
        05/13: (12yrs) <25, >22cms height, puberty a year ago

Avoid 'faith' in 'experts'. “In consequence of this error many persons pass for normal, and indeed for highly valuable members of society, who are incurably mad...”

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
          Do you think you might consider the tethering?

If so, it would be a great thing if you posted your testimonial here. We don't have any on tethering.
          Sharon,

Thanks for mentioning tethering. We are going to hear a lot more about it in the coming years I"m sure.

I just wanted to share that we have several parents on the VBS site with experience with tethering. One girl is headed back to CT from Philly today after tethering about a week ago and mom is thrilled as can be so far. We also have several other parents whose kids had tethering (either in Philly or with Dr. Newton in CA) and would be more than willing to share about their experiences.

If anyone is considering tethering and would like to be put in contact with these parents, please let me know.

We would also welcome anyone considering tethering to join the VBS site as well. Don't be fooled by the name www.vertebralstapling.com - while this site was started to share information and experience regarding VBS (because there was so little info out there at the time), we state right on our home page that the site is for anyone dealing with the diagnosis of scoliosis in their child.
          mariaf305@yahoo.com
          Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
          Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf View Post
            Sharon,

Thanks for mentioning tethering. We are going to hear a lot more about it in the coming years I"m sure.

I just wanted to share that we have several parents on the VBS site with experience with tethering. One girl is headed back to CT from Philly today after tethering about a week ago and mom is thrilled as can be so far. We also have several other parents whose kids had tethering (either in Philly or with Dr. Newton in CA) and would be more than willing to share about their experiences.

If anyone is considering tethering and would like to be put in contact with these parents, please let me know.

We would also welcome anyone considering tethering to join the VBS site as well. Don't be fooled by the name www.vertebralstapling.com - while this site was started to share information and experience regarding VBS (because there was so little info out there at the time), we state right on our home page that the site is for anyone dealing with the diagnosis of scoliosis in their child.
            Oh very good!

The VBS site will morph into a place where all these innovative treatments can be discussed by parents. A one-stop shopping for cutting edge treatments!

It's great that tethering can be done for kids who are out of the VBS range. And I am not surprised to hear you mention they are using them a lot on T/L curves (not sure if you mean TL or double majors there but it applies to both). Any curve involving the lumbar is high stakes requiring close and immediate scrutiny in my opinion. These treatment modalities need to directly address the issue of avoiding fusing deep into the lumbar. When you have surgeons fusing TL curves at what is lower than the commonly accepted surgery trigger angle, that is a clarion call that hoping to saving levels rises above the level of having surgery itself. I am coming to think it is unethical not to fuse these curves at smaller angles given when is known about the countdown issue. I wish surgeons would directly address this more often. The OP's case of T8 - L3 is extremely alarming to me. L3 appears to be a critical level to avoid going below. I would be physically standing on desks at this point were it me.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
            X