Pregnancy after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy after surgery

Hi all. I haven't been on here for several years. Since just after my last surgery I think. I'm hoping this post is in the right place. Couldn't think where else to put it.

I had two fusions done, the first in 2007 and the second in August 2008. Now I'm 20 weeks pregnant and my consultant has warned me that the shape of my pelvis might not be able to accommodate a natural birth. I'm hoping that it will because my hips were never affected. To be honest my consultant at the hospital I will give birth at has no experience or knowledge of spinal fusions. He did warn me that the anaesthetists at my local hospital will probably not be willing to give me an epidural which is fine.

My baby is likely to be back to back as I have an anterior placenta which I know will make it more painful for my back. Again, I'm prepared for this, having been through the surgeries I can deal with that lol. I was just wondering if there is anyone on here that has been through birth since their surgery and if they had any problems.

Thank you xx
    Last edited by kazyn; 02-08-2012, 03:18 PM.
    Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
    Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
    Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
    Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
    No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
    Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Hello,

I haven't had surgery for my back, but I have had babies. I'm thinking from what you said, that the shape of your pelvis has nothing to do with your surgeries. Some women just have a smaller pelvic outlet, so if you're going to try for a natural birth, hope for a smaller baby. It's just the way some of us are made. If it doesn't work out, don't be too down about it. I had to have one c-section. It doesn't mean you're a failure. Just enjoy your pregnancy and congratulations!!! Many women do go on to have babies after surgery. I've read some on here before. So maybe you can do a search on pregnancy and see what comes up. Maybe you can connect with someone who's been down your road.

Again, Congratulations!
    Rohrer01
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Thank you for your reply and your congratulations.

My consultant is happy that my pelvis is big enough, but he said that as the baby decends and the pelvis seperates, because of the surgery it can do so unevenly and end up skewed if that makes sense. Apparently it should go back to normal afterwards. We went through so much IVF to get pregnant in the first place (male factor, not due to my back) that as long as our baby gets here safely I'm not too worried about how it's delivered.

Thank you for your kind words xx
      Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
      Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
      Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
      Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
      No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
      Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Comment

Hi there. I had 2 c-sections before my spinal fusion. My
        Babies had large heads and they were face up--probably having to do with the shape of my pelvis.

Anyway, I am here to report that if you have made it through spinal surgery, a C-section will be a walk in the park! I hope you get to deliver naturally, but if not you will
        be just fine.

Best,
        Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I tried to deliver naturally, but the poor baby got "stuck" in my pelvis. I ended up having a C-section under general anaethesia and it turned out the baby was facing the wrong way ("Sunny side up" or back to back like you've described). I have no idea if this is because of my fusion and no one could really give me an answer on that one. My baby, now 1!, is doing great, but I still feel guilty about how things went sometimes. I did have a consult with an anaethesiologist a month ago because we do want to try for another and he warned me an epidural would probably not work on me due to my fusion and that general anaethesia is not as bad as I was making it out to be in my head. So with #2, our plan now is a planned C-section under general anaethesia. Hope this helps and congratulations on your upcoming little one
          - 39 years old
          - At age 14, curve progressed from 45 degrees to 62 degrees in two months.
          - Surgery in 1990 at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) with Dr. Letts. Fused T5 to L2. Corrected to about 30 degrees.
          - Harrington rod
          - Herniated disc - L5/S1 - January 2008. Summer 2009 - close to making a full recovery.
          - New mommy as of February 2011
          - Second child - September 2013
          - Staying relatively painfree through physio exercises!

Comment

I had a baby at 40 and had the scoliosis surgery at 16. I was fused T6 to L4. It took the guys 45 minutes to get my spinal in the right place. I feel the pain where they must have chipped bone from the repeated jamming of the needle most weeks of the month. You cannot get an epidural only a spinal they told me. This was 14 years ago. I am 54 now and the curve above and below the fusion is slowing moving and giving me lots of muscle and disc pain. My delivery was fine with no complications. It was hard to pick up my daughter as she got heavier and heavier, but you put up with the pain because you love them so much.

Comment

I had my babies in 1971 and 1975 and never had a problem. I was fused down in lumbar area as well as thoracic as you can see by my signature and could not bend at the waist either, but had no problem with my pregnancies or either of my births. In fact as I have mentioned before my gynecologist said that the fusion actually helped with the birth due to the strength of my back. All was amazing.

all the best
              Lorraine
              Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
              Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

I just wanted to congratulate you and wish you well. Getting pregnant after IVF is such a miracle in itself! Whatever happens, enjoy your little miracle baby.
                Susan
                Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
                X