JERSEYOT is "on the other side!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JERSEYOT is "on the other side!"

Well, it's over and done with now and I'm finally "on the other side!" It feels so good to be here. My first surgery on 1/24 went well (5-1/2 hours, ALIF at L4-L5, L5-S1 with back plate and pedicle screws). Second surgery on 1/31...well, bumpy to say the least but here's the low down: 9 hours, PLIF fusion L1-S1 with pelvic fixation, and had laminectomies the entire length of my spine (lost a little more than 1/2 my blood volume and am severely anemic and weak right now as a result), removal of Harrington rods and hooks, 3 osteotomies. Had difficulty coming out of anesthesia and remained in PACU for almost 9 hours, then spent 2-1/2 days in ICU due respiratory and kidney problems as well as needing 3 blood transfusions (I donated my own).

It was bumpy but all in all, I am so glad I decided to have this done. I even grew 1-3/4" as a result! No more "shopping cart syndrome" (as I call it) - I stand tall and straight and (although painful) proud! I am currently in a rehab hospital just 5 minutes from home and will be here for a couple weeks to build up my strength and endurance - i also have moderate weakness amd numbness on my right leg which the doctor thinks should resolve in time. AND, I got to see my kids today for the first time in 2 weeks! It was wonderful to see them but I have to admit, after their visit, I was exhausted. I am no where near ready to come and handle the house and kids yet! Once I'm home I'll have PT/OT a few times a week and them eventually graduate to outpatient. I'm in a brace when OOB and am doing extremely well I think. The pain is manageable with pain meds and like I said, although it was bumpy, I'm so glad I did it - everyone looks so much shorter than me now!
    Last edited by jerseyot; 02-07-2012, 09:24 PM.
    1993/1995: PSF w/ Harrington rods T3-L4
    Jan. 24, 2012: ALIF of L4-L5, L5-S1 w/ cage spacer and BMP
    Jan. 31, 2012: PLIF of L1-S1 w/ pelvic anchors
    Scheduled Nov.15, 2012: Fusion T2-S1 w/ pelvic anchors to fix T12 fracture
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ot/myback2.jpg - BEFORE
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT2342x406.jpg - AFTER
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT1410x229.jpg - AFTER
    www.jerseyot.blogspot.com

Michele it's so great to hear from you & ESP that you're all done w surgery. What a great attitude you always have. You have been through so much but are focused in on having that great active life again. So very very happy for you, you've been in thoughts & prayers daily (that won't change!). All the best to you as you continue healing - updates please!
    Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
    Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
    Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
    Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
    photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

It's good to hear that you are finally done. What a horrible road you had to take to get there, though. I'm glad your pain is manageable. I'm sure you'll improve with leaps and bounds! Well, that's at least my wish for you.

Take Care.
      Rohrer01
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

It's always so good to hear of another patient come through surgery and doing well. Congrats. Michelle! I hope all goes easily for you now, you so deserve it.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Congratulations on a successful surgery. You definitely had a rough time, but you sound so postive that I'm sure you will do fine with your recovery.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Glad to hear that you are on the other side
            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Michele

You hang in there....this is going to be a huge improvement after you heal.

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Glad to hear a positive post on the healing side. Keep up the good work.
                Sally
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

There is nothing better than standing up straight! You've had a tough road but it will only get better from now on. Congrats on getting through the hard part ;-)
                  May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Michele, your post on being on the other side really brought tears to my eyes, it just broght me right back in time -- you do sound so strong and postive after all you have been through! Before you know it, you will be home and back in the swing of things and all of the pain from the surgery will be just a distant memory. Keep on the positive track and you will get through this post sugery stuff.
                    Dolores A
                    June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
                    June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
                    Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
                    NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

You sound great, and will only get better.
                      1966 fusion in Buffalo of 11 thoracic vertebrae, with Harrington rod

Comment

Working...
                      X