MRI report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MRI report

i just read MRI written report from June 2009...
    never saw it before...i don't understand a lot of it...
    don't know if i want to...(that's kind of a joke)

it sounds bad..."severe rotatory scoliosis with degenerative disc and facet
    disease throughout lumbar spine. There is foraminal narrowing at multiple levels,
    and the spinal canal is distorted with relative narrowing, most severe at L4-L5"
    is the "impression"

what i don't get is it says i don't have spinal stenosis, when a myleogram from
    2004 said i have spinal stenosis...
    this MRI report says things like "severe rotatory convex left thoracolumbar,
    convex right lower lumbar scoliosis which distorts the anatomy"

it analyzes, as i guess all spinal MRI's do, at each level...at T11- T12, L1-L2,
    L2-L3, L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1...
    it says (at L1-L2)"severe hypertrophic change in the right facet has mild mass effect upon
    the thecal sac. There is no spinal or foraminal stenosis"

no stenosis??...why then did myleogram say i have "spinal stenosis" ????

it also says (at L2- L3) "the canal is distorted without evidence of stenosis.
    Right foramen is narrowed"

there is repeated mention of "asymmetrical disc space narrowing".....

i am confused....lots of "narrowing" of all kinds of stuff, but no stenosis....??

jess
    Last edited by jrnyc; 01-31-2012, 04:04 PM.

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
    "severe rotatory scoliosis with degenerative disc and facet
    disease throughout lumbar spine. There is foraminal narrowing at multiple levels,
    and the spinal canal is distorted with relative narrowing, most severe at L4-L5"
    is the "impression"

it analyzes, as i guess all spinal MRI's do, at each level...at T11- T12, L1-L2,
    L2-L3, L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1...
    it says (at L1-L2)"severe hypertrophic change in the right facet has mild mass effect upon
    the thecal sac. There is no spinal or foraminal stenosis"

jess
    Hey, Jess.
    There are a few things to consider here. The first being that a myelogram/CT gives a much clearer picture than an MRI and they can see things and diagnose things that are missed on an MRI.

The second thing is that it was my impression that "stenosis" is narrowing of the spinal canal, period.

So my "guess" is that your stenosis is in your lower lumbar region being worst at L4/L5. The problem at L1/L2 seems to be more of a facet joint problem that has irritated and created a problem with the sac around your spinal chord. This is a different problem than what you have in the lower lumbar. It almost sounds like there is a little scar tissue buildup on the sac at L1/L2.

So that is my totaly unprofessional, layperson's interpretation of the discrepancies you see on your two tests. I'm sure Linda will correct me if I'm wrong. I probably shouldn't offer an interpretation since I really can't claim to know what I'm talking about. But you asked. :-)

Take care,
    Rohrer01
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

all opinions/interpretations appreciated...
      thanks, rohr...

jess

Comment

It noted no stenosis at those specific levels only.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

oh...OK...
          i guess the myleogram report made it more clear to me....
          thanks....

jess

Comment

Yes, Jess, I can see why you were confused. You have stenosis everywhere except at L1-L2. Your MRI sounds a lot like mine did. Not much fun is it?
            Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

hey Sally
              nope, definitely no fun!

i am fine til i see it in black and white...X ray, written report....
              then it is glaringly clear just how bad my spine is...

hope you are feeling good...

jess

Comment

Working...
              X