A Schroth Study?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TAMZTOM View Post
    QUICK NOTE: I've read that using a shoe lift can mal-affect thoracic curves.
    Which could be the reason?.. a shorter leg also should to affect the spine..

Comment

I'm curious about this reasoning, too. I can see it mal-affecting the T-spine IF both legs are the same length. But I have a short leg (not noticeable). The shoe lift was, if I remember correctly only 1/4", the same as my leg length discrepancy. I took a LOT of getting used to, as it felt as if I were limping. But after a couple of weeks, I adjusted and felt weird if I wasn't wearing it.

I liked it as a teen because my parents had a "no shoes in the house rule" and I got to wear my shoes in the house! We lived in an area where a plant proliferated that had a seed pod called a bullhead. The horns on the bullhead were very sharp and tipped in a mild poison that causes HORRIBLE pain when stepped on. I invariably stepped on them, even in the house (don't know how they got in there per "the rule"). But I was greatful, none-the-less, to be able to wear my shoe lift and shoes INSIDE the house! LOL... Silly story, I know.
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
        I'm curious about this reasoning, too. I can see it mal-affecting the T-spine IF both legs are the same length.
        Tamzin's legs are the same length. Orthotist prescribe shoe lifts to, e.g., balance the pelvis, despite equal leg length.
        07/11: (10yrs) T40, L39, pelvic tilt, rotation T15 & L11
        11/11: Chiari 1 & syrinx, T35, L27, pelvis 0
        05/12: (11yrs) stopped brace, assessed T&L 25 - 30...>14lbs , >8 cm
        12/12: < 25 LC & TC, >14 cms, >20 lbs, neuro symptoms abated, but are there
        05/13: (12yrs) <25, >22cms height, puberty a year ago

Avoid 'faith' in 'experts'. “In consequence of this error many persons pass for normal, and indeed for highly valuable members of society, who are incurably mad...”

Comment

If her legs are the same length, why on earth would they do that to balance the pelvis? I would think that her very good exercise regimen would do that along with her brace. Is she wearing the shoe lift? I'm supposing not as per your comment. Did you address this concern with the clinician?

I doubt very much that I would ever consent to wearing a shoe lift with no leg length discrepancy. In fact, I "felt" like one leg was shorter than the other as my lower curve was starting to progress. So I went to the store and bought a lift for the leg that felt short. I told my doctor about it, so he measured my legs. Come to find out that I was wearing it on the long leg! That's how weird I felt. I immediately quit wearing it even though he said he was okay with it. I was afraid that wearing it would just speed up the curve progression.
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
            If her legs are the same length, why on earth would they do that to balance the pelvis? I would think that her very good exercise regimen would do that along with her brace. Is she wearing the shoe lift? I'm supposing not as per your comment. Did you address this concern with the clinician?
            The UK medical establishment at its finest.
            Tamzin's pelvis is already balanced.
            Tamzin's orthotic shoe implants went in the trash can, still in the unopened box.
            My expressed concerns to the clinicians went well over their heads.
            07/11: (10yrs) T40, L39, pelvic tilt, rotation T15 & L11
            11/11: Chiari 1 & syrinx, T35, L27, pelvis 0
            05/12: (11yrs) stopped brace, assessed T&L 25 - 30...>14lbs , >8 cm
            12/12: < 25 LC & TC, >14 cms, >20 lbs, neuro symptoms abated, but are there
            05/13: (12yrs) <25, >22cms height, puberty a year ago

Avoid 'faith' in 'experts'. “In consequence of this error many persons pass for normal, and indeed for highly valuable members of society, who are incurably mad...”

Comment

Working...
            X