Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between Harrington rods and new surgery??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between Harrington rods and new surgery??

Hey all,

I had surgery for scoliosis when I was 14 (now 21). I have never had any problems with my back since then whatsoever. I was doing some
    research the other day about the long term effects of having surgery, e.g. will my spine start to curve again, will my back look more deformed
    over time even though I have had the surgery to fix it? I then found out that Harrington rods were once used for scoliosis surgery and these later
    caused something known as 'flat back syndrome'. The new improved method for surgery known as Cotrel-Dubousset instrumentation then started to be carried out during the 90's and didn't cause this problem. I had my surgery in 2004 and im trying to find out which type of surgery I had
    (hopefully the latter), I don't know how I would find this out. I have my x-rays (before and after) so was wondering what the difference is between
    the harrington rods and the new surgery method? Does this show up on x-rays?
    Thank you.

Tabitha xx

Originally posted by Tabitha View Post
    Hey all,

I had surgery for scoliosis when I was 14 (now 21). I have never had any problems with my back since then whatsoever. I was doing some
    research the other day about the long term effects of having surgery, e.g. will my spine start to curve again, will my back look more deformed
    over time even though I have had the surgery to fix it? I then found out that Harrington rods were once used for scoliosis surgery and these later
    caused something known as 'flat back syndrome'. The new improved method for surgery known as Cotrel-Dubousset instrumentation then started to be carried out during the 90's and didn't cause this problem. I had my surgery in 2004 and im trying to find out which type of surgery I had
    (hopefully the latter), I don't know how I would find this out. I have my x-rays (before and after) so was wondering what the difference is between
    the harrington rods and the new surgery method? Does this show up on x-rays?
    Thank you.

Tabitha xx
    Hi Tabitha...

If you had your surgery in the U.S., and it wasn't by some small city doctor, you almost certainly had what is now known as universal spinal implants (C-D was one of the early ones). If you post your x-rays, I can probably tell you exactly what the implants are.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda,

Thank you for your reply. I had my surgery in the UK in 2004 and it was in a large children's hospital. I have attached an image of my x-ray after my surgery if you can take a look.

Love Tabitha x X ray .jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Tabitha View Post
        Hi Linda,

Thank you for your reply. I had my surgery in the UK in 2004 and it was in a large children's hospital. I have attached an image of my x-ray after my surgery if you can take a look.

Love Tabitha x [ATTACH=CONFIG]1184[/ATTACH]
        Hi Tabitha...

I can't tell for sure, but think they may be Isola implants with hooks, sublaminar wires, a connector, and screws. You can see a photo of an Isola rod with pedicle screws here:

http://www.jbjs.org/data/Journals/JB...405240G04.jpeg

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
        X